House Price Crash Forum

Open-Minded? Has A Debate On Here Changed Your Mind About Anything?

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

I can think of one for me. I'd not been able to see past the VIs, propaganda, taxes and downright lies of the climate change lobby.

The blatant propaganda of snowflux and fluffy666 wasn't going to convince me any more than the irritations of CyberNat would make me move to Scotland to vote SNP.

However in response to my perpetual complaint that saying the climate is changing is like saying the sun comes up in the morning, always has, always will, but want I want to know is how much of that isn't just natural anyway, Kurt Barlow set out the evidence that there is a clear consensus that the majority us the result of human activity.

I may not be a 100% convert as a result, and still dislike many aspects of the whole circus, but I know think that it does have a point.

Anybody else (not specifically climate change of course)?

HOLA442

I've been swayed to become far more libertarian / anarchistic by this forum and the wider internet. Ideas I'd not previously been exposed to.

HOLA443

Hardened my positions and made me even more annoyed with people if anything. Debates rarely change minds. The one exception I can think of wasn't as much on here (although perhaps a little), which is that electric cars might be an idea worth toying with instead of a complete and utter gimmick, but I still doubt that I'll get one in the near future.

HOLA444

Its true the climate has always been changing.....and always will, the self destruct button was pushed many decades ago.....and true nobody will live forever, make the most of every day whilst you have it, nature is a great leveller.......quality not quantity.

So much is made financially from so many by so few......see you have few needs, create few arguments and conflicts,stay healthy and do what you can to helping others rather than gaining from others and life will pass by more joyfully and tranquilly. ;)

HOLA445
HOLA446

I can think of one for me. I'd not been able to see past the VIs, propaganda, taxes and downright lies of the climate change lobby.

The blatant propaganda of snowflux and fluffy666 wasn't going to convince me any more than the irritations of CyberNat would make me move to Scotland to vote SNP.

However in response to my perpetual complaint that saying the climate is changing is like saying the sun comes up in the morning, always has, always will, but want I want to know is how much of that isn't just natural anyway, Kurt Barlow set out the evidence that there is a clear consensus that the majority us the result of human activity.

I may not be a 100% convert as a result, and still dislike many aspects of the whole circus, but I know think that it does have a point.

I can't think of any wholesale conversions, but I have modified my opinions on all sorts of things and found lots of new areas of interest.

HOLA447

Not some much debate on here, but I have a friend who has been going off on Facebook for the past couple of years about how bad diesel cars are for air quality. I have a diesel car, so thought he was being a bit of a crank, but I now think he's largely right.

HOLA448

in the early days, I learned all about the financial system...debates, arguments, worked examples, more arguments, finally a working model in my head that I can defend and use as a tool to critique other views.

Not any more though...there seems to be a general acceptance that the 2007 debacle and its "cure" has motives other than the interest of society.

No matter how wrong the "cures" have been, nobody gives a shit.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Seriously? Is that genuine?

Not absolutely sure......but it is a picture that tells a story about how financial gain is obtained via people with human needs, the disadvantaged, uneducated, born unhealthy, and born with fewer opportunities...... ;)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

in the early days, I learned all about the financial system...debates, arguments, worked examples, more arguments, finally a working model in my head that I can defend and use as a tool to critique other views.

Not any more though...there seems to be a general acceptance that the 2007 debacle and its "cure" has motives other than the interest of society.

No matter how wrong the "cures" have been, nobody gives a shit.

Do you mean "Nobody with the power to do anything about it gives a shit"?

HOLA4416

Very much so. This board has opened my eyes to a lot of issues, and I think my political opinions and preferred policy solutions have shifted a lot as a result.

Before I found HPC I was very much an Austrian school style straight down the line libertarian type, having become that after a period of being a Tory earlier (I blame my dad for that one, fathers footsteps sort of thing, but I'd shaken that off by the time I was 21). Now, I'm much more a liberal/geolibertarian - LVT and all that jazz. I'm sure there are a huge number of other views which have been influenced but that's the one I'm conscious of.

I think people are unconsciously affected by the arguments they hear and read a lot more than they realise.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

That's why they set three of them on us. He's the affable, relatable, rational one. And it worked! Well, on you anyway.

I'm converted to driverless cars having once been horrified by the idea, but it wasn't really one particular thread or poster that did it - it was mostly caused by a very tedious journey to Hull and back.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Considering that most cars carry no passengers, what is the point of driverless cars once they get rid of the driver too?

You could put a massive bomb in it and get it to drive to .... well anywhere really.

Like a drone strike for dummies.

Archived