House Price Crash Forum

Open-Minded? Has A Debate On Here Changed Your Mind About Anything?

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

I used to think people should pay back their debts, pay their fair share of taxes, play by the (fair) rules, not 'abuse' the system/immigrate to do so. It's all bunkum. If the 0.1% are doing it, it's fair game for the rest of us.

Surely the better solution is to take our pitchforks and and reeducate the 0.1%

HOLA442

Only if you are prepared to give up the 0.001% that they have decided to 'give' to you. They will take this off all of us before they go down.

So be it. 0.001% of nothing is still nothing.

HOLA443

They would just end up lynching a variety of patsies.

Our democracy is something of a sham but if you replaced it with true direct democracy I can pretty much guarantee most people on here certainly wouldn't like the look of it.

HOLA444

I have seen the MSM for what it is. HPC is a much wider and better argued viewpoint. Often proved correct after a period of waiting. For example, if the South American virus does prove to be a vaccination issue then anything the MSM tries to tell me in future is to be treated, at best, as VI hogwash.

HOLA445

One thing I have changed my mind on thanks to HPC is that governments act in the interest of their populations. I really believed that once, and worked for a government myself with good people who wanted to do the right thing - but HPC had exposed that for the false meme I had.

HOLA446

Well if nobody else is prepared to say it, I am: being a member of this forum has flipped my ideas about government 180 degrees. I don't dare to look up when I joined but it must have been at least 10 years ago. At the time I was working as a civil servant getting paid a fairy pitiful wage- but I literally had about 5 hours a week actual work to do, and spent the rest of the time on forums at the government's expense. I even had the cheek to go on strike in 2005 against whatever review Gordon Brown had commissioned to suggest that maybe the civil service was overstaffed and underperforming.

I really believed at the time that government had the power to right societal wrongs, even as I fretted about being priced further and further out of ever having the chance to buy a house in London like my lifetime civil servant dad had bought in 1984 to bring us up in.

Now I'm a hardcore Minarchist. It was partly this forum that switched me on to it; but what thoroughly got me was reading Dominic Frisby's Life After The State, which is a must read.

...But I wouldn't have read it had he not established his credentials on here as 'Frizzers' (hi Dom, hope you still come by?).

My views on non-economic aspects of the law have never changed in the slightest, and I daresay never will- I'm a proper hardcore liberal and in favour of drug legalisation, gay and trans rights, abortion rights etc. etc.

But now I don't believe that it's the business of government to get involved. At all.

HOLA447

I think you will get more information here, than through any government poll, about what people think. We are quite a mix. What brought most of us here is the random feeling that people are borrowing too much for too little. I still think debt is a bad thing, not a product.

HOLA448

Well if nobody else is prepared to say it, I am: being a member of this forum has flipped my ideas about government 180 degrees. I don't dare to look up when I joined but it must have been at least 10 years ago. At the time I was working as a civil servant getting paid a fairy pitiful wage- but I literally had about 5 hours a week actual work to do, and spent the rest of the time on forums at the government's expense. I even had the cheek to go on strike in 2005 against whatever review Gordon Brown had commissioned to suggest that maybe the civil service was overstaffed and underperforming.

I really believed at the time that government had the power to right societal wrongs, even as I fretted about being priced further and further out of ever having the chance to buy a house in London like my lifetime civil servant dad had bought in 1984 to bring us up in.

Now I'm a hardcore Minarchist. It was partly this forum that switched me on to it; but what thoroughly got me was reading Dominic Frisby's Life After The State, which is a must read.

...But I wouldn't have read it had he not established his credentials on here as 'Frizzers' (hi Dom, hope you still come by?).

My views on non-economic aspects of the law have never changed in the slightest, and I daresay never will- I'm a proper hardcore liberal and in favour of drug legalisation, gay and trans rights, abortion rights etc. etc.

But now I don't believe that it's the business of government to get involved. At all.

Pretty much this. Voted Labour in 2001 and 2005 (not sure about actual years, but it was definitely twice) now I look back and think 'what a fool' mainly because of ideas I first came across here that I then delved further into. The idea that laws don't change behaviour... I also came across that here. Before that my ideas on the state and law were completely different.

Archived