House Price Crash Forum

Which Celebrity Deaths Affected You Most?

Frank Hovis

HOLA441
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Michael Hutchence`s death gave me a jolt, remember watching it on the news as he was found dead. Also remember waking up at an odd hour of the morning and hearing on the radio that Diana had been "seriously hurt", her death was a shock, but the public reaction crossed over into the "starting to get scary" zone unfortunately.

HOLA447

I was greatly affected by Iain Banks and Elisabeth Sladen both dying suddenly from hard to detect, virtually incurable internal organ cancers when both still relatively young and productive, and also sad to learn that Robin Willians decided to take his life in the same age group.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Neil Armstrong.

To fly all the way to the moon. To know the risks involved in that process. To do it anyway.

To be calm and consistent under pressure. And to be top of the game at what you do.

In his Armstrong biography First Man, author James Hansen recounts how astronaut Alan Bean saw Armstrong that afternoon at his desk in the astronaut office. Bean then heard colleagues in the hall talking about the accident, and asked them, “When did this happen?” About an hour ago, they replied. Bean returned to Armstrong and said, “I just heard the funniest story!” Armstrong said, “What?” “I heard that you bailed out of the LLTV an hour ago.” “Yeah, I did,” replied Armstrong. “I lost control and had to bail out of the darn thing.” “I can’t think of another person,” Bean recalls, “let alone another astronaut, who would have just gone back to his office after ejecting a fraction of a second before getting killed.”

Read more: http://www.airspacemag.com/videos/armstrongs-close-call/?no-ist#ixzz3U6YHH6Fh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_8

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I was sorry to see cloughie go. For me, its not the death that's shocking, its seeing celebrities get old and realising that becoming old and frail is something that it's impossible to escape.

When I look at the likes of Clint Eastwood and Harrison Ford and see what they are now compared to what they were like when they were young, vital and handsome it really makes me ponder my own mortality and the fact that I just can't comprehend what it will be like to be old.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I was sorry to see cloughie go. For me, its not the death that's shocking, its seeing celebrities get old and realising that becoming old and frail is something that it's impossible to escape.

When I look at the likes of Clint Eastwood and Harrison Ford and see what they are now compared to what they were like when they were young, vital and handsome it really makes me ponder my own mortality and the fact that I just can't comprehend what it will be like to be old.

It's easy. Go for a 15 mile run, then before you go to sleep drink two bottles of red wine.

When you wake up the next day that is what it feels like to be old.

HOLA4420

Just to head off the "back of a matchbox" philosophers I am aware that for the vast majority of people a celebrity death does not compare to the death of family, friends or even pets. We know this thank you, so moving on:

At the time:

Dermot Morgan - I was eagerly awaiting the newly filmed third series of Father Ted, I'd read that he had moved to London from Ireland and married his partner. Heart attack.

Ted Moult - everybody's favourite Uncle - my first awareness that you don't really know some people at all, especially when you only think you know them from media appearances. Shot himself when depressed.

Retrospectively:

Ian Curtis - dark songs, a tomb on the cover, and did "closer" actually mean "ender" rather than "nearer"? Hanged himself.

Suicides of people who seem to have everything going for them are especially shocking, hence my including two above.

got to say princess diana,because I was on a night out in london that evening and it was sodding impossible to get out...even at 3am

talk about hysteria.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I'm surprised not more have said Diana, that seemed to paralyze the country.

A work mate who was both gay (and she was a gay icon) and eccentric / unstable (je was sectioned a few years later) went even more loony when this happened. I was on holiday and he was on the coverage as part of the vigil on the gates of the Palace, still wearing the same suit he always wore he was ranting at the camera "The media killed Princess Di", you don't expect to see somebody from work on the news.

I was also caught by her funeral as I was round a mate's house and his wife was obsessed with it and it was on live (I hadn't forgotten, I didn't know in the first place) and she was crying. As they used to say in the News of the World: I made my excuses and left.

Don't get me wrong, I thought she was ok and it was a shame that she'd died so young. But as in my OP I didn't know her and it didn't move me at all.

HOLA4424

I'm surprised not more have said Diana, that seemed to paralyze the country.

A work mate who was both gay (and she was a gay icon) and eccentric / unstable (je was sectioned a few years later) went even more loony when this happened. I was on holiday and he was on the coverage as part of the vigil on the gates of the Palace, still wearing the same suit he always wore he was ranting at the camera "The media killed Princess Di", you don't expect to see somebody from work on the news.

I was also caught by her funeral as I was round a mate's house and his wife was obsessed with it and it was on live (I hadn't forgotten, I didn't know in the first place) and she was crying. As they used to say in the News of the World: I made my excuses and left.

Don't get me wrong, I thought she was ok and it was a shame that she'd died so young. But as in my OP I didn't know her and it didn't move me at all.

Seems to me that those who go into paroxysms of grief over someone they didn't know - and if they'd lived, would never have known - maybe don't have enough in their own lives to occupy their emotions. Save emotions for people you've actually met in the flesh and love.

A related topic - had you notice that all someone has to do to be beatified is die? Even if they were a wife-beating, kid-terrorising bar steeard, as soon as they die they're wonderful? I don't understand it. :unsure:

HOLA4425

Buddy Holly.

I was 16 and vulnerable. I also played guitar and sung Holly songs in a group.

Stayed with me all my life.

Last year I was in a pub playing my guitar and in walked someone I had not seen for 50 years.

He asked me to sing 'Peggy Sue'

Had not sung or played it for years, but it flowed back into my voice and fingers, even the signature chord solo that he played in it.

Archived