House Price Crash Forum

Watches

worzel

HOLA441

I'm in the market for a new watch. My watch of 18 years was unfortunately lost on a night out.

I've done a bit of research and it looks like watches fall broadly in to two categories:

Quartz - starting price very low, extremely accurate, although will need a new battery every 5 years or so. Can have a multitude of functions.

Mechanical - more expensive, less accurate, but do a have a certain work of art thing about them, although I wonder if the movements are basically just mass produced, all be it precision engineering. They tell the time, quite possibly date, and possibly a stop watch (chronograph). Prices up from a few hundred to many many thousands. They also constitute a bit of jewellery / status symbol.

I must be a bit stupid because I'm leaning toward the mechanical variety, looking at a budget of £1k-£2k.

Whadayareckon? I'm sure there are plenty of Casio F-91w (aka terrorist watch) advocates on here, feel free to ridicule the idea of spending serious wonga on a watch.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

We had a watch thread on here a few years back. One of the posters worked, or used to work, in the trade and wrote a very interesting post about the enormous mark-up between the watch manufacturer and the customer - apparently there is a complex and long list of middle-men in the watch industry designed to keep up the price of watches IIRC.

HOLA444
HOLA445

We had a watch thread on here a few years back. One of the posters worked, or used to work, in the trade and wrote a very interesting post about the enormous mark-up between the watch manufacturer and the customer - apparently there is a complex and long list of middle-men in the watch industry designed to keep up the price of watches IIRC.

I don't doubt it, luxury goods (like houses) have huge margins.

HOLA446
HOLA447

I like divers watches with a bezel.

These (http://www.webwatchworld.com/vostok-amphibia/) are a bit of fun and cheap as chips (mine was about £50 IIRC). Properly automatic, but not as reliable as more expensive watches. Mine ran well for 5 or 6 years then stated dropping 10 minutes here or there. The straps that they come with are awful and need to be changed.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I like watches and justify the expense to myself because I wear one all day every day and so get my money's worth out of the things.

If you want an automatic but don't want to spend too much have a look at Seiko - in particular the Monster series of diver watches. Cheap, tough, durable and good value for money - about £150 from somewhere like Creation Watches.

About £800 will get you a Longines Hydroconquest - a "proper" watch from one of the oldest Swiss brands. Go and have a look at one in the flesh and see how well they compare to Omega divers costing 3-4 times as much. You're getting 90% of the watch for a third of the price.

Just over your price range, but in my opinion worth stretching for the extra (or buying second hand) is the Omega Speedmaster Professional - essentially the same watch as issued to the Apollo astronauts - Buzz Aldrin wore his on the moon, and the Apollo 13 crew relied on their Speedmasters when all their instruments failed.

Or £100 will buy you a solar powered, atomic G shock. Always accurate and will go on forever.

Hope this helps...

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I'm in the market for a new watch. My watch of 18 years was unfortunately lost on a night out.

A watch tells the time. You can spend a few quid for an accurate quartz watch or £100s - £1000s for a mechanical. Both will do the same thing, tell you the time to help get you to where you want to be when you need to be there.

Personally, I like slim watches with hands.

I have several watches, an everyday watch I bought (Timex Indiglo Easy Reader), a mechanical Majex that was an 18th B'day gift a long time ago, and a few smart vintage watches I inherited, Longines, Rolex etc.

Personally, if I wanted a smart dress watch I'd get a secondhand vintage, slim, Longines from ebay such as this or this

HOLA4414

I used to have a thing about self-winding mechanical watches.

Orient are insanely cheap for the quality -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orient-Mens-Automatic-Watch-CEM65001B/dp/B001EWEQ3A/ref=sr_1_8?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1421011604&sr=1-8&keywords=orient+automatic

I now have a thing for Casio G-shocks.

The top end, Pro trek titanium ones are fantastic.

I like watches. I have George Daniels' book. But I would never spend more than £500 on one.

Its just too much money.

I find all the top end, multi 1000 watches just as expensive, vulgar jewellry that does not keep time well.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I bought a Seiko kinetic watch about 10 years ago, after I'd been looking at Rolex for a while and deciding I liked the automatic action but not the price tag. The Seiko cost me £180 and has been the most faithful watch I ever owned. It's smart enough to wear out without being overly ostentatious, and it keeps time perfectly.

I won't be replacing it until I have to - fantastic piece of kit.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Try one of these. English company, Swiss made and exceptional value for money.

Yes they get very good reviews. Another decent value fairly new watchmaker is Glasshutte. I really like their style. Classy and modern. Decent (ish) value too.

HOLA4422

Why not combine the two and buy an Omega Seamaster like James Bond's?

Edit to add: http://m.omegawatches.com/collection/seamaster/catalogue

Actually IIRC the original Bond, as per Flemings books, had him wearing a Rolex.

I do, however, support the Omega choice. Have had a few since my first given to me by my grandfather. Currently have a wonderful day/date Omega speedmaster. A work of art and engineering - and keeps excellent time.

HOLA4423

I have a Lorus, which I believe is Seiko's value brand, which was a 30th birthday gift. I guess it cost somewhere between 30 and 50 quid. So far I've had to replace 2 batteries and 3 strap pins, all easily obtainable on ebay for peanuts. I intend to keep it running as long as possible as it is astonishingly accurate- I reckon it loses about 5 seconds a month. Just been to check with the radio clock in the kitchen and it's currently 4 seconds slow, and I certainly haven't touched it since before Christmas. It led to the rather ludicrous situation of a drunken me telling everyone at our soiree who was watching the countdown to the new year on BBC HD via Virgin Media that, er, it was already new year as there was a 10 second delay on the feed! Prat :rolleyes:. I work as a bus controller, and I'm a great one for nipping down bus lanes once they become inactive at 7pm, so having a watch that I know is highly accurate and loses rather than gains time is just what I need.

How accurate are mechanical watches out of interest? I couldn't be doing with anything that wasn't accurate to within 2 seconds a day.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I no longer bother with a watch as I simply use my phone. I'd advise nothing too flashy though for everyday use. If you are ever mugged, one of the first things they will look at - with a view to liberating from your person - is your watch. I had my admittedly crappy looking but functional casio rejected.

Personally, I didn't rate the solar casio that much. Mine lasted about five years before the rechargeable battery no longer worked. I guess I could have replaced it - but given the strap had gone and I was by now regularly carrying my phone.

I do appreciate a good watch as a work of art - but I'm not sure I'd ever go back to wearing one. They are basically jewellery nowadays - and I don't wear any of that either.

Archived