House Price Crash Forum

Watches

worzel

HOLA441

I think the logic is if you can afford to buy something for £5k that you can get for £50 ? You have money to spare. You don't usually get finance for watches do you ?/

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I think the logic is if you can afford to buy something for £5k that you can get for £50 ? You have money to spare. You don't usually get finance for watches do you ?/

Or lacking self-confidence. When I was working in the City guys a few years older all had name (Rolex whatever) £5k-£10k watches and thinking that was what you ought to do I started eyeing up various expensive watches thinking that I ought to buy one. Then I got a new job, big pay rise, and was one of the players and realised that it was an absolute irrelevance and the guys with the most blingy watches tended to be those in the junior grades.

HOLA443

I imagine there is some aspect of that - however it still shows you have cash. Well to the majority of people anyway.

I got a nice watch as I have always fancied one since very young.

It cost me £3k. On the other hand I only have one suit - only one I have ever had and bought it recently - that cost me £500.

Different folk buy for different reasons.

Not sure about the senior people not having the expensive watches though - places I have worked have been nothing like that !

HOLA444
HOLA445

Having fancied picking up an Omega for some time, and coming into a little money in 2007 that was unexpected (nobody died!), I finally took the plunge and bought an Omega Speedmaster Day/Date (3523.80) with blue face. I had seen it listed at around £1200, finally bought it for £900 and sold it in early 2013 for £1000. Following that I bought an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean (2200.50) and currently have that now.

I do like Omega watches, as somebody has already pointed out they are a little understated compared to others. In about seven years of owning one and wearing daily I'd say about a handful of people have noticed or commented on it, most people really don't care and/or have no knowledge of what is good/bad/fake!

HOLA446
HOLA447

Without wishing to offend, I find it amusing that a watch would be an indication of wealth or success.

I would have thought it would be more an indication of your particular interest in watches or your attitude to money / perception of success.

I can see why strippers might want to be able to spot one. I could believe the same customer who might spend £10k on a watch might also spend a few quid on impressing a stripper.

My grandmother used to say that you can tell a lot about a person by whether they think they can tell a lot about a person by which watch they wear.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

One watches innards are much the same as another's these days and whilst I am sure the most expensive ones are hand assembled they only justify the price tag due to the name on the dial.....

People these days have been conditioned to the fact that Rolex = quality = expensive when the reality is it is not really any better watch or time keeping wise than a £40 - £50 alternative.....

In the old days we used to go into a greasy spoon and get a cup of tea/coffee for 25p. These days there are no greasy spoons so have to pay over the odds (certainly more than inflation adjusted 25p) for costa or starbucks.... I am sure the expensive watch manufacturers would love that sort of of playing field.

The fake rolex keeps perfectly good time and most people cannot tell the difference anyway till you take the back off. What justifies the £5000 difference between the two items?

HOLA4411

Having fancied picking up an Omega for some time, and coming into a little money in 2007 that was unexpected (nobody died!), I finally took the plunge and bought an Omega Speedmaster Day/Date (3523.80) with blue face. I had seen it listed at around £1200, finally bought it for £900 and sold it in early 2013 for £1000. Following that I bought an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean (2200.50) and currently have that now.

I do like Omega watches, as somebody has already pointed out they are a little understated compared to others. In about seven years of owning one and wearing daily I'd say about a handful of people have noticed or commented on it, most people really don't care and/or have no knowledge of what is good/bad/fake!

Gosh you even know the model numbers! I would have to find the box. It's written on it! Yep, few comment. I guess there are those with ane eye/interest for these things! Like Mr ccc I wanted the slightly smaller one, but they seemed more expensive

HOLA4412

Without wishing to offend, I find it amusing that a watch would be an indication of wealth or success.

I would have thought it would be more an indication of your particular interest in watches or your attitude to money / perception of success.

I can see why strippers might want to be able to spot one. I could believe the same customer who might spend £10k on a watch might also spend a few quid on impressing a stripper.

Anybody with an ounce of sense knows that most genuinely high net-worth, old money people (not tossers in the City) tend not to show off their wealth with trinkets.

I've got a Sekonda diver's watch which cost about £25. I've had several compliments on it. A particularly nice blonde girl who I was trying to impress even said 'Is that a TAG heur?' I said 'no, it's a Sekonda' (like Ronnie Barker in the 70s tv ads, if you remember them). I didn't get anywhere with her so maybe she was a gold digger!

Strippers, apparently, will also play with a man's tie while grinding themselves against him. The reason being, that they are checking out the label to assess its worth!

HOLA4413

Anybody with an ounce of sense knows that most genuinely high net-worth, old money people (not tossers in the City) tend not to show off their wealth with trinkets.

I've got a Sekonda diver's watch which cost about £25. I've had several compliments on it. A particularly nice blonde girl who I was trying to impress even said 'Is that a TAG heur?' I said 'no, it's a Sekonda' (like Ronnie Barker in the 70s tv ads, if you remember them). I didn't get anywhere with her so maybe she was a gold digger!

Strippers, apparently, will also play with a man's tie while grinding themselves against him. The reason being, that they are checking out the label to assess its worth!

I would have thought that if any girl you'd only just met was sizing up how much your watch cost, that would be a run-a-mile signal.

But then what do I know - I'm not a bloke.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I would have thought that if any girl you'd only just met was sizing up how much your watch cost, that would be a run-a-mile signal.

But then what do I know - I'm not a bloke.

I'm not at risk of that: I don't wear a watch. But intuitively I'd've thought that kind of girl would be the same who emit more obvious warning signs: run-a-mile fashion clothes, warpaint, styled (possibly even dyed) hair, and sometimes even the kind of nasty smells that commonly afflict the ground floor of department stores.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Gosh you even know the model numbers! I would have to find the box. It's written on it! Yep, few comment. I guess there are those with ane eye/interest for these things! Like Mr ccc I wanted the slightly smaller one, but they seemed more expensive

I have noticed a few poking out from under shirt cuffs myself but, as you say, it's probably from having an interest in them that I notice.

One thing I have never been too keen on is having more than one or two watches. You see people with massive collections of them. Fair enough if you are simply using them as a store of wealth and looking at them as an asset but I can't see how it helps day-to-day as you can only wear one!

I have about three watches myself, the Omega which i wear every day, an Accurist which was my daily watch prior to that and a Kahuna on a strap which I bought when I was about 20. I very rarely wear the other two though, if at all.

One thing I did invest in with this Omega is a black leather strap with some detailed stitching and a quick release buckle, cost about £70 for the pair and when you switch it from bracelet to strap it looks and feels like a completely different watch, I change it around every few months.

HOLA4420

the fakes are the best....no need to insure them.

Good watches are two a penny, that is if you wear one, fewer people do, no need to....ten pounds buys you a very comfortable, accurate and clear watch...why would anyone require anything more?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I have very narrow girly wrists. Those metal link straps are hopeless for me. Maybe I should get wrist implants?

You are not let on helicopters for the North sea, with a metal watch band! You have to have a flexible one! Also you can't bring fruit, like oranges, in case you have injected them with vodka! They don't like drunk people turning the taps on and off, like in the previously mentioned Shania Twain video! I too, am not built like an ox!

HOLA4423

I wonder if the rise in CFH will cause luxury Swiss watches to jump in price in a few months time?

If they don't then it will prove my suspicion that the prices are carefully calculated on what they think punters will pay rather than anything to do with production cost.

HOLA4424

I wonder if the rise in CFH will cause luxury Swiss watches to jump in price in a few months time?

If they don't then it will prove my suspicion that the prices are carefully calculated on what they think punters will pay rather than anything to do with production cost.

I was wondering that myself. I do hope I can still get that cheese with holes in it.

HOLA4425

Not sure if I said, but the reason for the new watch is that I lost my last one. Insurance company cash settlement was rubbish so I now have a £1400 voucher to spend in one of the mainstream jewellers, everywhere from h Samuel to map in and Webb, goldsmiths and Ernest Jones. The watch I wanted isn't available in these shops so I'm a bit stuck. Need something 100m water resistant with a metal strap, or possibly could get two lesser watches and have a bit of variety, one with a leather strap. I've scoured the websites and can't decide, so any suggestions welcome if anyone has any.

Archived