House Price Crash Forum

Watches

worzel

HOLA441

Not sure if I said, but the reason for the new watch is that I lost my last one. Insurance company cash settlement was rubbish so I now have a £1400 voucher to spend in one of the mainstream jewellers, everywhere from h Samuel to map in and Webb, goldsmiths and Ernest Jones. The watch I wanted isn't available in these shops so I'm a bit stuck. Need something 100m water resistant with a metal strap, or possibly could get two lesser watches and have a bit of variety, one with a leather strap. I've scoured the websites and can't decide, so any suggestions welcome if anyone has any.

Perhaps you could get two 50m water resistant watches, they might be cheaper.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Precisely.

BTW, How often do you go down to 100m?

The meterage is misleading, all the shops and websites say that 100m is what you need if you want to go swimming with it. I'm sure you could risk it with a cheapo watch, but if it's in the hundreds of pounds if want a screwed down crown.

HOLA447

I wonder if the rise in CFH will cause luxury Swiss watches to jump in price in a few months time?

If they don't then it will prove my suspicion that the prices are carefully calculated on what they think punters will pay rather than anything to do with production cost.

Maybe they manufacture the gubbins in China. I assumed the fakes came off the same assembly lines .

edit: they add the SWiss mech's later, fakes end up with some quartz mechanism?

HOLA448

The meterage is misleading, all the shops and websites say that 100m is what you need if you want to go swimming with it. I'm sure you could risk it with a cheapo watch, but if it's in the hundreds of pounds if want a screwed down crown.

So the logic is that you need to spend a lot of money to get a watch you can rely upon being waterproof, because waterproofing is essential to protect it, because it's expensive?

HOLA449

Have you had a look over on the Watchuseek forums?

There used to also be Poor Man's Watch Forum but it looks like the owner has sadly died. It looks like some admin started Wallet Friendly Watch Forum but it looks a bit sparse.

I used used to be an amateur clock repairer! I love the mechanisms! I fixed a few for friends! Usually needs a clean out and some oil! (Do not use WD40!). Clocks have fallen out of fashion! As have pocket watches! I am nowhere near delicate enough to fix those. I leave it to experts!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Colleague has a Breitling with a transponder that sends out a distress signal if he ever gets lost. Hasn't used it yet but you never know!

One with GPS would be better. Then he wouldn't get lost in the first place.

Is the Breitling waterproof to 100m? That way, you could be lost and up to 100m underwater.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Slightly easier to glance at a wrist though, surely? Unless you walk around with your phone permanently in your hand, turned on etc etc.

The less stuff I have to carry about the better. I have to have a mobile phone for work so that is my watch.

I really would like just a watch.

Mobile phones are liberating and enslaving. On the one hand I don't need to be in a pyhsical building I am at work 24/7 to answer queries. So I am always at work in one way, but rarely at work in another...I can be answering queries on a 20 mile hike.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Out of sheer patriotism, my next watch will be a Bremont.

http://www.bremont.com

Watch-making is a very British trade. Every major escapement design and around three quarters of related innovations came from these shores. Much is owed to pioneering horologists such as Harrison, Mudge, Graham, Arnold and Tompion, and, more recently, George Daniels.

Our goal has always been to bring back as much of the process to the UK as possible. Our watches are all designed, assembled and parts finished in England. That includes most of the very bespoke parts used in our limited editions, as well as our hand-made leather packaging.

Bremont is proud to be at the heart of a British revival in watch-making and equally excited to work in partnership with some British manufacturing greats, including Norton, Jaguar and Martin-Baker. We continue to build and promote our heritage, with a British HQ and the successful opening of our London stores.

• 5 weeks later...
HOLA4422

Just in case anyone is vaguely interested. I ended up getting a voucher for £1,425 from insurance for watch I lost, the cash settlement was rubbish so it was a no brainer.

I ended up getting an oris Aquis with a metal strap, and a Tissot visodate with brown leather strap. I figured it would make sense to have a couple for different occasions rather than ploughing all the cash in to just one watch. Really pleased with the choices.

http://www.oris.ch/en/watches/oris-aquis-date/01-733-7653-4159-07-8-26-01peb

and

http://www.tissot.ch/products/tissot-heritage-visodate-automatic/T0194301603101.html

HOLA4423

That should enable you to replace your loss!

I'm not a "posh watch nob twonk" BTW, but I still like to see the faces of others!

Or the "turds of others" ? Isn't that right , er, Mr Renting! :blink::o

HOLA4424

Just in case anyone is vaguely interested. I ended up getting a voucher for £1,425 from insurance for watch I lost, the cash settlement was rubbish so it was a no brainer.

I ended up getting an oris Aquis with a metal strap, and a Tissot visodate with brown leather strap. I figured it would make sense to have a couple for different occasions rather than ploughing all the cash in to just one watch. Really pleased with the choices.

http://www.oris.ch/en/watches/oris-aquis-date/01-733-7653-4159-07-8-26-01peb

and

http://www.tissot.ch/products/tissot-heritage-visodate-automatic/T0194301603101.html

Nice!

If I were ever to get a proper dive watch (for diving and stuff) Oris is pretty good bang per buck if I didn't fancy (that means couldn't afford) an Omega Planet Ocean pre-owned

This is my baby at the moment http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/Turn-O-Graph/116263/3400/item/43267

HOLA4425

Nice!

If I were ever to get a proper dive watch (for diving and stuff) Oris is pretty good bang per buck if I didn't fancy (that means couldn't afford) an Omega Planet Ocean pre-owned

This is my baby at the moment http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/Turn-O-Graph/116263/3400/item/43267

I admire your choice! Although I think if had that amount of "spare" money, I would probably waste in on guitars, and evil handling cars. Each to their own. I don't know why I have an Omega. If it's good enough for James Bond, it's OK for the Pin!

Archived