House Price Crash Forum

Will Greece Be The Pin That Pops The Bubble?

HOLA441
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Wars have been started for less. Will greece be allowed democracy is a better question.

well, in as far as the democratic choice will be:

do you want to be a vassal state of?

1)EU

2)Russia

culturally they are closer to russia than they are to EU

in the same fashion as ourselves and the irish are culturally closer to USA/Canada.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

It will all turn on whether Germany allows the ECB to print euros. The PIIGS want it, the French want it, but the Germans have a historic fear of money printing. We can only hope the Germans prevail.

Makes little to no difference to Greece's unsustainable "bailout".

Germany still won't ramp up domestic demand.

Greece may as well default and attempt to do so whilst remaining in the EZ.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Hmm, I wonder how much of Greece's deficit is interest, if they default is their economy remotely sustainable , I suspect not.

Alternatively will they black mail the ecb and IMF in some way. I suspect yes and hence we will end up bailing them out only charging them less. That is until we need bailing out.At that point they will bail us out with the money we lent them.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Greece may as well default and attempt to do so whilst remaining in the EZ.

Yes. There is no constitutional mechanism for forcing a eurozone member to leave. The other eurozone members can't threaten Greece with expulsion if it defaults.

The single currency was always going to replace exchange rate risk with credit risk. Greece defaulting would be a sign that the system is working.

HOLA4413

They will print. The collapse of the EU cannot be allowed to happen. This is against the New World Order.

Greece defaulting on some bonds does not equal the collapse of the EU. A few rich people wake up one morning to find that some of the paper they are holding is worthless, the world moves on.

HOLA4414

Hmm, I wonder how much of Greece's deficit is interest, if they default is their economy remotely sustainable , I suspect not.

Alternatively will they black mail the ecb and IMF in some way. I suspect yes and hence we will end up bailing them out only charging them less. That is until we need bailing out.At that point they will bail us out with the money we lent them.

According to Vicky Pryce (she of the speeding points saga) in today's Daily Mail, Greece's current account is in surplus, once debt servicing is excluded. (Apologies for no link, I was looking at the deadwood press version.) It's a compelling narrative for Syriza, we (the Greeks) are now bleeding to prop up the European banks.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

According to Vicky Pryce (she of the speeding points saga) in today's Daily Mail, Greece's current account is in surplus, once debt servicing is excluded. (Apologies for no link, I was looking at the deadwood press version.) It's a compelling narrative for Syriza, we (the Greeks) are now bleeding to prop up the European banks.

Most UK sheeple are quite well off, once debt servicing is excluded. Why not just have a big default and everyone would be better off?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest TheBlueCat

Greece defaulting on some bonds does not equal the collapse of the EU. A few rich people wake up one morning to find that some of the paper they are holding is worthless, the world moves on.

I suppose if you consider ordinary European tax payers rich, then yes:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/matspersson/100015389/in-2015-85-of-greeces-debt-will-be-owned-by-european-taxpayers/

Having said that, most people on here seem to believe that rich people never pay any tax at all, which implies that the debt is actually owned by poor people.

HOLA4419

Presumably you know the answer , the banks only source of income is debt interest payment and thus the whole economy would collapse.

QE is a source of income for the banks as well? If EVERYONE defaulted at the same time, yes, it would be Kaboom for the financial world, but the actual world goes on, and new systems of money would evolve? Selective defaults (Greece) or a EZ break up that was controlled would just result in lots of bankers and banks taking a bath?

HOLA4420

QE is a source of income for the banks as well? If EVERYONE defaulted at the same time, yes, it would be Kaboom for the financial world, but the actual world goes on, and new systems of money would evolve? Selective defaults (Greece) or a EZ break up that was controlled would just result in lots of bankers and banks taking a bath?

And savers, and anyone with a pension. But also the pols that are in power when it happens, irrespective of what colour tie they wear, so they kick it into the long grass and talk about anything else.

HOLA4421

I suppose if you consider ordinary European tax payers rich, then yes:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/matspersson/100015389/in-2015-85-of-greeces-debt-will-be-owned-by-european-taxpayers/

Having said that, most people on here seem to believe that rich people never pay any tax at all, which implies that the debt is actually owned by poor people.

Governments love to describe their positions in markets as belonging to "taxpayers" but this is propaganda and is contractually false. The government is a separate legal entity from the people who live in that country. Other eurozone governments may have decided to take a position in the Greek government bond market but this is their own stupid decision, not taxpayers'. If Greece defaults there is no need for other eurozone governments to pass the loss on to taxpayers in their countries, they can pass it on to their own bondholders instead.

HOLA4422

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/greece/current-account

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

culturally they are closer to russia than they are to EU

in the same fashion as ourselves and the irish are culturally closer to USA/Canada.

This must mean you've taken your travel advice from the daily mail and clearly not spent any considerable time in USA / Canada, Greece or russia to realise how much More European the norms and values here are compared to the usa . Don't base your opinion on hear say and imagination. And to compare russia to greece....

HOLA4425

Wars have been started for less. Will greece be allowed democracy is a better question.

Well the Greeks started democracy, perhaps they will also be the ones to end it!!!