House Price Crash Forum

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

HOLA441
HOLA442
22 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

And how will investing your life savings in a digital token that's being whipsawed on the daily by Michael Saylor and friends change that state of affairs?

Yachtcoin is a better name.

hmmmm. Up over 11000% gain since 2013, is doing very well thanks, plus the extra dips i bought in 2018-2020 being up over 800% too, it's all hunky dory thanks, £300k and rising, way over my outstanding mortgage now. 

How's you home ownership and life experience going in 2021? 

HOLA443
7 minutes ago, markyh said:

hmmmm. Up over 11000% gain since 2013, is doing very well thanks, plus the extra dips i bought in 2018-2020 being up over 800% too, it's all hunky dory thanks, £300k and rising, way over my outstanding mortgage now. 

I think he's having fun. 

HOLA444
1 hour ago, markyh said:

Have they set an IPO date yet?

Don't believe so but found this. Should also be on Coinbase's website.

Good to see evidence that Satoshi Nakamoto was indeed acknowledged on the filing. 

Approximate date of commencement of proposed sale to the public:
As soon as practicable after this registration statement becomes effective.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0001679788/000162828021004939/coinbaseglobalincs-1a1.htm

Link to risk factors.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0001679788/000162828021004939/coinbaseglobalincs-1a1.htm#i86a9d9b35e45447ea6eb369e5dcf1e6a_1274

Edited by Buffer Bear
Added the Satoshi Nakamoto reference!

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
9 hours ago, Pup said:

Thanks for posting the interview and follow up.

My reading is that he is referring to this:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nydig-announces-appointment-of-new-york-life-chairman-and-ceo-ted-mathas-to-its-board-of-directors-301244301.html

and that the interview was actually recorded between the 3rd - 10th March but only released on the 11th.....So when he says it will be released within the next week it means that it has already on the 10th.

Still great news but I'm not expecting any new news if that makes sense!

I think NYDIG was referring to institutions rather than an individual although we know it is a significant hire for the board.

8 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

i sold most of my holdings to lock in my profit i now cant lose!. I think i sold above the new higher low when it does eventually pop. It will pop and not quickly hit 1m a BTC in this cycle even being very bullish that's madness.

I do fully expect a huge % of the recent investors who have clearly been panic buying, to equally panic sell in a few months at large losses. I have seen it several times before in previous cycles. But of course some rare true holders will also be born in the flames of a crash. 

I set up a small DCA on the basis that for most of the time the DCA is going it will be picking up the lows when the next four year cycle starts. 

I think the peak may be between now and October this year, If i had to guess the peak would be £65k a bitcoin, low after the crash maybe around £15-25k a BTC.

The bigger worry would be that in the next four year cycle it might not be against such a positive backdrop for Bitcoin, Bored home workers, Stimulus Checks,  etc. But the next ATH after this one could be around £150k

But who knows! 

Perhaps the new ATH happening at the moment followed by correcting will shake out the weakest of hands.  

You need to listen to Saylor. 1. He doesn't believe there will be 80%+ crashes due to the arrival of institiutions and 2. He doesn't believe that halving events will have its historic pattern (interesting thought).  

All your charts are destroyed when you meet Godzilla.  I think he has a valid point.

7 hours ago, scottbeard said:

And it rounded off and bobbled around for months last year at $9k....before suddenly shooting up to $50k.

As always, the charts tell you nothing useful about the future.

Yep.  Saylor doesn't accept PlanB's S2F charts or any others re: BTC in terms of forecasting future growth.  Hmm.

5 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Where I live £80k doesn't get you much house. In reality you only had £600 invested. 😉

Also you didn't reduce your exposure, you completely wiped it out. 🤣

Agree.  A completely different persona.  A bull in words and bear in actions, which I guess is to be expected given their current position. Not a criticism but more based on what @jiltedjenhas expressed themselves. 

4 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

Along with my mortgage! don’t need much to live a high quality of life in the sticks.

sometimes I wonder why Londoners don’t cash in and live like kings somewhere pretty! 
Pop 

I could easily live as a queen but my family and support network are more important to me so I choose to remain part of the gang.  In my view, you can't beat this and I certainly wouldn't do a Harry and Meghan just to be a homeowner.

4 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Honestly with your negativity I am actually surprised that you managed to hodl for 7 years. You're even talking like a nocoiner now. 😂 What a transformation emptying your bags makes. 😁

I guess it became too stressful seeing the dream potentially disappearing, given the previous ATH.  I for one, won't be listening to the 'Voice of Reason'.  BTC is is off the chart when it comes to reason for mere mortals in terms of exponential growth until one considers the network effect and the absolute enormity of this paradigm shift.  Keep it simple:  it's a global, decentralised monetary system in cyberspace" 🤯 (Saylor).  Only an unknown, unknown can topple this.  

HOLA448
1 hour ago, markyh said:

I don't understand the negativity.  Bitcoin has already proven itself no matter what happens next.  Plenty of examples of individuals who have shown faith and invested and been rewarded.  Others believe the rewards will continue to grow. There is no logic in denying the freedom that Bitcoin is providing others and should be viewed as a force for good both in developed and developing nations.  It really is.  And please do not reference the environment.  @zugzwang

20 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

You must be mistaken @Buffer Bear as @Peter Hun assured us above that they won't let it happen. Better just sell your Bitcoin and open a 0.4% savings account. 

Yes, Sir!

Edited by Buffer Bear

HOLA449
HOLA4410
9 hours ago, warpig said:

£1m/BTC 😲 Do you really think BTC will rise by 2,381% from the current price?

Saylor doesn't give predictions when asked as he says they're unhelpful.  He does, however, set parameters.  In one interview he casually said, depending on the market cap, one BTC is worth as follows:

$1t = $50k - now

$10tn = $500k (gold's cap).  MS thinks this level could be reached very fast.

$100tn = $5m

$1qu = $50m

Saylor also referenced about $400 trillion of investment in non/underperforming assets such as bonds etc which he argues will flow into BTC, the "apex predator".

Although MS is new to the BTC game, we need to remember that he runs a successful technology company (30 years), has invested a pile, wrote the Mobile Wave, is extremely intelligent and thinks outside of the box. I pay attention to what he says.

We also need to remember that prices can overshoot.

Edited by Buffer Bear

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
1 hour ago, Buffer Bear said:

$1t = $50k - now

$100tn = $5m

$1qu = $50m

I'd like the one in red please :)

The previous one immediately in the list is okay. If that one is all that's on offer, I'll take it grudgingly, but I won't like it as much as the red one.

Edited by Huggy

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
7 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

Their are other high reward low risks available. VW share up 100% in a few weeks. Pays a decent dividend too.

Not surprising they are following the Tesla playbook to the letter. Probably be buying Bitcoin soon. 

It had a decent dividend a couple of months ago but not now and if they want to hold onto those gains they need to split off the EV division. That would be worth some serious money.   

HOLA4415
On 15/03/2021 at 02:02, Buffer Bear said:

Go to the 9:00 minutes in @ubuntu🤣 

Ben needs to listen to the genius.  "There's no scarcity problem, I don't even know what that means" says Saylor.  He looks very confused! 🤣 Not sure about halvings no longer being central to movement but it is a rational perspective given the "wall of money" that is expected.   All your charts are DESTROYED! 😁

@Huggysounds even better coming from the genius himself.  Interesting perspective.  I do wonder how much he has invested from his personal fortune c$500m...He made reference to having no heirs and his assets going to his foundation.  I wonder what drives him.  Humanity?

Edited by Buffer Bear

HOLA4416
21 minutes ago, Buffer Bear said:

@Huggysounds even better coming from the genius himself.  Interesting perspective.  I do wonder how much he has invested from his personal fortune c$500m...He made reference to having no heirs and his assets going to his foundation.

Even a small 'fraction' could potentially put him into the billionnaire's club at some point in the future. I'm happy with multi-millionnaire as boats and cars and large country houses don't need that much.

I'll give that video a go, thanks for sharing, as while I have never really paid any attention to Youtube's views on things, I am potentially coming up to quite a serious decision time should the price double from now.

Edited by Huggy

HOLA4417
36 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Even a small 'fraction' could potentially put him into the billionnaire's club at some point in the future. I'm happy with multi-millionnaire as boats and cars and large country houses don't need that much.

I'll give that video a go, thanks for sharing, as while I have never really paid any attention to Youtube's views on things, I am potentially coming up to quite a serious decision time should the price double from now.

You sound as you like to have a lot of fun but your position needs to be taken very seriously now as you say.

I have watched many videos to better understand Bitcoin particularly interviews featuring the Salty Crew.  Unfortunately, I have not be presented with any coherent argument that undermines what Bitcoiners believe.  I've been objective and searched out opposing views but they tend to be easily dismantled.  Now institutions are on their way, it makes it particularly difficult to insist BTC is not an 'asset', it's a Ponzi scheme etc and more so when previous sceptics change their mind, including Saylor and the billionaire more recently. 

It's on the march again...

https://cointelegraph.com/news/60k-bitcoin-price-back-in-sight-after-morgan-stanley-and-fed-announcements?utm_source=thecryptoapp

HOLA4418
14 hours ago, warpig said:

The governments of the world are hunting down taxes to pay for their defecits and the Covid relief package... BTC is an underground payment system that is outside of their tax visibility/reach. At some point they won't allow this to continue... I'm of the opinion they've allowed BTC to flourish, so digital currencies are broadly accepted by the public. At some point in the near future, they will release their own Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) and whilst BTC is not comparable in many regards, BTC will be seen as a competitor and the competition will be removed.

Makes sense. Good luck to them.

In unrelated news... I was curious and put "bitcoin" into zoopla keyword filtered search and found 3 properties.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/uk/?keywords=bitcoin

7 bed detached house for sale - St Laurence’s Church Lane, Middleton One Row, County Durham DL2

Any of you wanna pitch in and open the church of satoshi for 30 BTC 🙃 ?

Edit: 7 properties in Germany

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/overseas/property/germany/?country_code=de&keywords=bitcoin

Edited by Mixle

HOLA4419
3 hours ago, Buffer Bear said:

Saylor doesn't give predictions when asked as he says they're unhelpful.  He does, however, set parameters.  In one interview he casually said, depending on the market cap, one BTC is worth as follows:

$1t = $50k - now

$100tn = $5m

$1qu = $50m

Saylor also referenced about $400 trillion of investment in non/underperforming assets such as bonds etc which he argues will flow into BTC, the "apex predator".

Although MS is new to the BTC game, we need to remember that he runs a successful technology company (30 years), has invested a pile, wrote the Mobile Wave, is extremely intelligent and thinks outside of the box. I pay attention to what he says.

We also need to remember that prices can overshoot.

We don't have the full details yet, but given governments are on the cusp of releasing central bank digital currencies (CBDC), which will likely tie in with perpetual bonds and Modern Monetary Theory (MMT), I believe perpetual bonds will prevent the bond market from collapsing or at least buy the governments more time.

I personally think Saylor's out of his depth... he has no exit strategy and in some ways has become the market. Even to reach gold's market cap means BTC has to reach $500K/coin... that just sounds insane to me.

At what point does BTC become a bubble?

HOLA4420
15 minutes ago, warpig said:

We don't have the full details yet, but given governments are on the cusp of releasing central bank digital currencies (CBDC), which will likely tie in with perpetual bonds and Modern Monetary Theory (MMT), I believe perpetual bonds will prevent the bond market from collapsing or at least buy the governments more time.

I personally think Saylor's out of his depth... he has no exit strategy and in some ways has become the market. Even to reach gold's market cap means BTC has to reach $500K/coin... that just sounds insane to me.

At what point does BTC become a bubble?

Why does he need an exit strategy? 

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

One of the largest banks in the world is starting to provide cryptocurrency services!

Morgan Stanley, one of the largest banks in the world, has released a note recognizing Bitcoin as an investable asset class. The Wall Street investment bank believes crypto has reached a threshold and recommends it play a role in a diverse investment portfolio.

In a note released Wednesday, the $ 4 trillion asset management unit under the bank’s management noted that any investment in Bitcoin is a speculative investment. However, if investors educate themselves about the associated risks and act cautiously, Bitcoin can bring them huge diversity benefits.

https://regardnews.com/one-of-the-largest-banks-in-the-world-is-starting-to-provide-cryptocurrency-services/

HOLA4423
7 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Why does he need an exit strategy? 

If you believe all that matters is 1 BTC = 1 BTC then he doesn't need one... If however you believe the price of 1 BTC matters, then he has share holders to answer to. MicroStrategy Incorporated's share price in early November 2020 was $182 it's now $771 per share... Where does he go from here?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
2 minutes ago, warpig said:

If you believe all that matters is 1 BTC = 1 BTC then he doesn't need one... If however you believe the price of 1 BTC matters, then he has share holders to answer to. MicroStrategy Incorporated's share price in early November 2020 was $182 it's now $771 per share... Where does he go from here?

I thought he’d already addressed shareholders concerns? From what I gather he’s not keen on selling Bitcoin. I’m sure @Buffer Bear mentioned this previously with a video link.