• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

" People will be trapped in houses they can't afford, unable to sell and therefore may be trapped in houses or towns they don't like."

My favourite :) . Time to send banker man back his keys and tell him to suck on the losses? Call me Dave won`t let you freeze :lol:

I like this one...

I always had the feeling our financial system was basically a big pyramid scheme. 2 trillion dollars have vaporized in the last week of stock carnage.

I do wonder what all the peole who've bought into gold are going to do when it all goes poof ! Walk to The Swiss border and lug it home ?

Gold plated bean poles ?

As for the Emergency MoneyBox Edition it sounded oddly muted, presented by some old guy who sounded resurrected from WW2. Keep calm and all that ;)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I don't know much about the average mumsnetter but in the past, they've never come across as being the most incisive thinkers, then suddenly there are a bunch sounding quite bearish.

Methinks someone's been goading the natives.

They're beginning to regret taking out all those

LIAR LOANS....

:rolleyes:

HOLA449
HOLA4410

No fear yesterday! Big conversation going on in the Steam Room at the Gym last night, with one chap saying to his mates (approx 6 people) "terrible sh*t in the news today, you lot listened to the news today?". There was me thinking "ah the debt crisis, stock market falls etc"? LOL!!! The friends shook their heads with a "nope" so the chap filled them in on the terrible shit in the news:

"Young lad got eaten alive by a f*ckin Polar bear, f*ckin shocking man"

HOLA4411

No fear yesterday! Big conversation going on in the Steam Room at the Gym last night, with one chap saying to his mates (approx 6 people) "terrible sh*t in the news today, you lot listened to the news today?". There was me thinking "ah the debt crisis, stock market falls etc"? LOL!!! The friends shook their heads with a "nope" so the chap filled them in on the terrible shit in the news:

i heard about that, Esher wasnt it?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I like this one...

As for the Emergency MoneyBox Edition it sounded oddly muted, presented by some old guy who sounded resurrected from WW2. Keep calm and all that ;)

Listening to it now on iPlayer - what a load of rubbish! Plenty of soothing crap about how everything is going to be all right really, implying that more QE is a good thing and loads of completely useless generic 'stating the bloody obvious' advice.

Next to no useful insight or info.

HOLA4414

The Omen. B)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Not the bear food you were expecting eh? ;)

HOLA4417
"People will be trapped in houses they can't afford, unable to sell and therefore may be trapped in houses or towns they don't like."

As opposed to those who can't afford to buy and are stuck in estates/towns they don't like.

"Houses they can't afford". Why, that wouldn't be because THEY'RE TOO FRICKIN' EXPENSIVE!!!

Would it?

I do wonder what all the peole who've bought into gold are going to do when it all goes poof ! Walk to The Swiss border and lug it home?

My flat is on the Swiss border? :blink:

Does this mean I meed a passport to go to the loo?

Not the bear food you were expecting eh? ;)

:rolleyes:

:lol:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 05-Aug-11 18:22:21 Mumsnetter page You can think yourself lucky that you're in the UK. Our economy may be slow at the moment and we may not exactly be enjoying the austerity measures the government has introduced, but we're generally regarded as being 'well managed' and that counts for a lot these days when investors are cashing up and keeping it under the mattress.

If you're banking in the UK as well, your deposits up to £85k per financial institution are guaranteed by the FSA compensation scheme. But our banks are not in trouble, have more reserves, and are not as highly geared as they were pre-2008

Girlies

If the above were true - then the bankers would be back into a lending frenzy

They are not lending cos they is still bust with empty coffers and CDS's/CDO's blowing up in their faces every month!

The whole banking system doesn't trust each other - cos they don't know the amounts of debt and future debt they are each sitting on. Therefore all lending between banks is at a massive low.

At a guess - it's stalemate for the forseeable future!

Edited by erranta

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Very odd, that Mumsnet thread.

It read like a bunch of (male) HPCers chewing the cud.

Does Mumsnet have a number of HPC undercover agents who are there to spread the word of Low House Prices Means More Money For The DCs?

Well someone mentioned the XFactor sarcastically so read into that what you will ;)

HOLA4424

this one is just taking the p1ss! 70 grand a year and cant afford to eat! feck me!

twinklypearls Fri 05-Aug-11 19:37:24

"I don't know how people are going to cope, we have a household income of about £70K, not extraordinary but we are hardly paupers. We can't afford to eat meat, we rarely put the heating on, dp works from home and I work close to home so no real commuting costs but in our own time we rarely use the car. I get a lunch at work in return for a duty and I often stuff myself so I don't need to eat at home. I know that dp often skips meals to save money. Dd's new clothes have all been second hand and I cut her hair myself. Dp and I don't need any clothes thank God."

HOLA4425

Very odd, that Mumsnet thread.

It read like a bunch of (male) HPCers chewing the cud.

Does Mumsnet have a number of HPC undercover agents who are there to spread the word of Low House Prices Means More Money For The DCs?

Somebody once posted a link here to a thread there so I made a post on it.

Then someone here quoted my post there and asked if it was posted by one of us :lol: