House Price Crash Forum

Gary Stevenson moment - Vets bills

HOLA441

Vets bills are on the news today. Seems 6 companies have bought up 60% of the veterinary practices across the country and bang, costs have gone through the roof.

A chap interviewed whilst walking his dog said yeah the hedge funds have bought up the practices, the vets don’t get any extra, it’s the owners.

This chimes with what Gary Stevenson is saying. The rich buy all the assets (vets practices in this case), and we all end up poorer! As a result they [the rich] get richer, and buy more assets!

I’m sure there are many other examples.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
5 minutes ago, MarkD said:

Vets bills are on the news today. Seems 6 companies have bought up 60% of the veterinary practices across the country and bang, costs have gone through the roof.

A chap interviewed whilst walking his dog said yeah the hedge funds have bought up the practices, the vets don’t get any extra, it’s the owners.

This chimes with what Gary Stevenson is saying. The rich buy all the assets (vets practices in this case), and we all end up poorer! As a result they [the rich] get richer, and buy more assets!

Not really.

If they get too expensive I am sure some vets would start their own practice.

Entrepreneurs will start up places if there is profit to be had.

HOLA444
7 minutes ago, MarkD said:

Furthermore, the new veterinary businesses will take custom away from the monopolies who charged higher prices making the formerly rich owners poor.

HOLA445
1 minute ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

Furthermore, the new veterinary businesses will take custom away from the monopolies who charged higher prices making the formerly rich owners poor.

Well, it’s not happening. Not really surprised, the big companies always welcome reams and reams of regulation and requirements. Being big they can absorb it, the small players get overwhelmed. Tea rooms for example. Poor old Karen just can’t cope with it all, but not a problem for Costa or Starbucks.

HOLA446
19 minutes ago, MarkD said:

Same thing with childcare. 

HOLA447
9 minutes ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

Just visualising how that would work,

Fresh out of university, massive student debt.

Renting whilst gaining experience, basically not a lot of spare cash,

Buy an existing practice? No chance, big boys outbid you,

Start a new practice from scratch? Not impossible, but…….hmmm not going to be easy. Rent space, buy space?

Well done to anyone who manages it. Mate of mine did it in the Middle East, god knows how, but he did it.

HOLA448

Anyone who has danced through the private vet care or pissed about with insurance cover claims, will know what an expensive scam it can be, especially if long term care intervention is required. After experiencing, who the hell would want an insurance based national healthcare system for adults, other than the small minded, selfish and those hosting a nasty personality disorder.

HOLA449
38 minutes ago, MarkD said:

I wonder how many Tory MPs are behind this. 

HOLA4410

Are you sure they are too expensive?.

I'm sure if an animal was a bit sick in the 70s and 80s, the animal would be "put to sleep".  In the countryside they probably wouldn't even bother with the vet.

I have a Facebook friend who had their gerbil stay overnight at at a vet.  The animal only has a 2-3 year life expectancy, so it does not seem like something someone would have previously done. 

On this basis, you could say vets are too cheap.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
57 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I wonder how many Tory MPs are behind this. 

If you look across the pond you’ll see big corporations. They lobby the government, government then clear the way for them. The small players get swallowed up. As far as I can see the same thing is happening here. In terms of how any Tory MP’s ? Probably all of them, it’s how they get the backers they need.

HOLA4413
1 hour ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

If they get too expensive I am sure some vets would start their own practice.

I would be inclined to agree - a hedge fund can own the business, but the employees can still quit and go to work at a newly started practise.

Where I think things are more subtle is when you consider the relationship between the customers and the practise separately to the relationship between the practise and its staff.  If the practise were to adopt a systematically exploitative stance towards their customers... then profit margins - definitely in the short to medium term - are likely to be eye-popping.  Perhaps the staff won't all like their jobs under such a regime... but a proportion will be sufficiently money-motivated... probably including those who could stump up the capital to complete.

The significant shift (if there has been one) is that control can be exerted over multiple practises in order to encourage them not to compete to offer the best value to the customer... but to compete to provide the highest profits to the ultimate beneficial owners.

HOLA4414

Yes noticed this to several vets near me. A private equity backed company called IVC Evidensia has bought up independent vets and prices have subsequently increased massively.

I think it's worth shopping around as there are still independents out there. I suspect even the independent vets are expensive... there's most likely high costs to entry nowadays

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Now do nurseries.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/mar/12/private-nursery-chains-profits-england

Unison’s head of education, Mike Short, said: “There’s clearly big bucks to be made in childcare, but this is all so wrong. Large investors have muscled in on the sector, siphoning off the profit, piling on the debt and forcing smaller nurseries out. This is extremely bad news for infants, parents and childcare workers.”

Previous Guardian analysis revealed that the number of nurseries backed by investment companies, including private equity firms, pension funds and venture capital, doubled between 2018 and 2022.

Experts worry that lax financial regulation combined with the financial model of these global investors – profit-focused and with high levels of debt – poses a risk to thousands of nurseries that could be vulnerable to collapse.

Vivek Kotecha, director of Trinava Consulting, said companies “are comfortable taking on more debt with the expectation that their income and profitability will grow over time due to more places and rising fees”.

HOLA4417
12 hours ago, reddog said:

I'm sure if an animal was a bit sick in the 70s and 80s, the animal would be "put to sleep".  In the countryside they probably wouldn't even bother with the vet.

I have a Facebook friend who had their gerbil stay overnight at at a vet.  The animal only has a 2-3 year life expectancy, so it does not seem like something someone would have previously done. 

Yes, friend has spent over £10k on cancer operations for his dog, and is now presented with a few different options for monthly treatment, all at a cost of over £250+ pcm. Even 10 years ago, the dog would have been put down the second you said £10k for a surgery. I'm not sure its ethical for vets to offer these services tbh

HOLA4418
On 3/12/2024 at 9:34 PM, Casual-observer said:

The morals of a lot of Veterinarians also needs to be brought into question after some of the stories I've heard about.

Similar to Dentists they've morphed into Victor Frankenstein's, more motivated by money than animal well being. 

I have a close relative who is a Director in a veterinary corporate.

Under the newly cropped up corporates, the practice managers and vets are being given financial targets that are marked as personal performance indicators. This is not only instead of clinical performance indicators that would benefit patients, but as you suggest I can confirm that these indicators are being used to push for more expensive and unessecary treatment that in the light of day, is not in the best interest of the animal or the bill payer. Of course, it is very difficult to pin anyone down on this - and it will be the vets that take the fall for their corporate overlords.

The trouble is that the RCVS has been 'bought' by the corporates and now serve them instead of having the backs of vets who push back against the moral corruption.

HOLA4419
On 3/13/2024 at 8:38 AM, cbathpc said:

Yes, friend has spent over £10k on cancer operations for his dog, and is now presented with a few different options for monthly treatment, all at a cost of over £250+ pcm. Even 10 years ago, the dog would have been put down the second you said £10k for a surgery. I'm not sure its ethical for vets to offer these services tbh

On what grounds? If you mean that there are humans who need £10k of healthcare far more that a dying dog then yeah, that makes sense... but otherwise I find it difficult to see how explaining and offering the medical options that are available to the owner is unethical - in fact i'd argue that's what a good vet should do and is what they are paid to do.

As for where the money goes, some of these veterinary corporates own their own supply chains now, so profits margins are difficult to define - but the customer facing businesses have been hitting 40% profit margins. Most coporate try to push their profits away from the customer facing bodies though in order to recieve less scrutiny from the public i.e. i'm sure customers are being fleeced far more than 40% all said and done. As for the vets- it's corporate wage surpession for them now - whereas previously the partners of small vet practices were raking in the dough and nobody complained!

HOLA4420
On 3/12/2024 at 9:31 PM, Housepricecrash91 said:

Yes noticed this to several vets near me. A private equity backed company called IVC Evidensia has bought up independent vets and prices have subsequently increased massively.

I think it's worth shopping around as there are still independents out there. I suspect even the independent vets are expensive... there's most likely high costs to entry nowadays

It depends where you live. In corporates pricing increases are forced down from on high and in currently in veterinary are not fully region specific. i.e. in some regions of the country independants will be able to compete better than others because at present there is little to no sensitivity to London vs rural Wales. The individual practice managers only have so much say how they distribute the price rises to hit centerally set targets.

I am aware of independant practices, even new startups, that have recently pushed corporately owned parctices 'out of business' in all but name i.e. no clients walking through their doors, empty books and staff sitting around twiddling their thumbs. So far it seems like the corporates are very reluctant to shut down their sites or lower prices - that would equate to a loss of face!

HOLA4421

There’s a couple of factors at play here. Some people are treating dogs as if they are human children. All pet costs increased over the last few years - none have come down. You can choose to spend hundreds of pounds on a dog bed etc etc etc.

Our vets are still independent and are expensive. Our golden retriever is ill. He’s 12 has cancer (inoperable) and is on painkillers to keep him mobile. He may last another year but gets checked every 2 months. If he’s in too much pain they will advise that he be put down. We only know he has cancer because we thought his hips had collapsed but they hadn’t, he actually had a slipped disc. We had a CT scan to diagnose, whilst doing that the vet found several “old dog” issues. 

Scan was “only” £1200, plus £250 for follow-ups and medication. Money well spent IMO.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
On 12/03/2024 at 19:58, reddog said:

Vets are way too expensive...pet only if rich enough..;)

Edited by winkie