HOLA441
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
17 hours ago, Dweller said:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/06/vet-who-really-profits-from-poorly-pets

£150 for a dog’s injection. £900 to monitor a rabbit overnight. Thousands for cat surgery. How did pet care become such big business?

That very neatly takes us right back to the start of the post. The rich moved in, bought the assets (veterinary care in this case), and proceeded to seek a return on their investment. For me this illustrates what Gary Stevenson is saying, and why now we’re all getting poorer by the day!

As suggested above, the NHS is next, then we’re all phucked.

HOLA444
9 minutes ago, MarkD said:

That very neatly takes us right back to the start of the post. The rich moved in, bought the assets (veterinary care in this case), and proceeded to seek a return on their investment. For me this illustrates what Gary Stevenson is saying, and why now we’re all getting poorer by the day!

As suggested above, the NHS is next, then we’re all phucked.

You and your pets are there to make money from, we are the commodity.......how much power do we have to avoid this happening......more than we think I would suggest.;)

HOLA445
18 hours ago, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

I just got fleeced £120 this week for some flea drops, a weigh-in and some very basic diagnostics of a (9 year old normally healthy) cat with a minor 3 week cough, that recommended next steps a £600-£900 X-ray and taking lung fluid samples under anesthetic, not to mention extra fees for any follow up after care or repeat prescriptions. I waited in reception 5x longer than the 5 minute examination. No joke!
When I get a cough, it's a £7 cough mixture over the counter or maybe a course of antibiotics for secondary bronchitis infection.

Wow, now I may not be the sharpest knife in the draw but trying to  understand the US insurance based healthcare for humans is a crazy mine field for comprehensive coverage. Good luck claiming for something serious requiring open ended treatments.
Who the hell would want to inflict this on their country at 3x the cost of the NHS (even in it's sabotaged crippled state)?

Having been a civil servant many many years ago I recognise the way the Tories undermine, dismantle, break up and ultimately privatise government departments. 
I always reckoned to be able to save my wage within about 6 months of each year. In other words I saved the taxpayer money. The cost of doing what was my job post privatisation has gone through the roof. If you look at the pothole situation I’ll wager the council use outside contractors rather than in house and hence the costs have gotten so high they simply don’t fix the roads any more! Schools falling down? Grenfel Tower after the council handed the whole job lock stock and barrel to outside contractors? Did they actually even attend site! Water companies. All the profits gone to shareholders, nothing on infrastructure. The list goes on.

They are demoralising the NHS staff and causing them to leave. Mass exodus to Australia and other countries where they’ll be appreciated. Once the NHS is on its knees they will then say ‘well it’s not working is it’, ‘bureaucratic nightmare’, ‘all the fault of lazy public servants’ etc etc etc, only thing to do here is open it up to the private sector, and then bang, it’s gone.

Have a look at the Royal Mail. My sister was a postie for years and like so many they put her through hell. Couldn’t put a penny or two on the price of a stamp, oh no the public won’t stand for it! So, we’ll just have to privatise it! Look at it now, total shambles, and you need to think carefully before buying a stamp! They’ve just announced a massive price increase, oh and by the way we’re cutting back deliveries.

The late professor Stephen Hawkins said some time ago ‘if they get in again (the Tories)’ it will be a disaster for the NHS. What happened? People went out and voted conservative like their lives depended on it! What hope!

HOLA446
10 minutes ago, MarkD said:

Having been a civil servant many many years ago I recognise the way the Tories undermine, dismantle, break up and ultimately privatise government departments. 
I always reckoned to be able to save my wage within about 6 months of each year. In other words I saved the taxpayer money. The cost of doing what was my job post privatisation has gone through the roof. If you look at the pothole situation I’ll wager the council use outside contractors rather than in house and hence the costs have gotten so high they simply don’t fix the roads any more! Schools falling down? Grenfel Tower after the council handed the whole job lock stock and barrel to outside contractors? Did they actually even attend site! Water companies. All the profits gone to shareholders, nothing on infrastructure. The list goes on.

They are demoralising the NHS staff and causing them to leave. Mass exodus to Australia and other countries where they’ll be appreciated. Once the NHS is on its knees they will then say ‘well it’s not working is it’, ‘bureaucratic nightmare’, ‘all the fault of lazy public servants’ etc etc etc, only thing to do here is open it up to the private sector, and then bang, it’s gone.

Have a look at the Royal Mail. My sister was a postie for years and like so many they put her through hell. Couldn’t put a penny or two on the price of a stamp, oh no the public won’t stand for it! So, we’ll just have to privatise it! Look at it now, total shambles, and you need to think carefully before buying a stamp! They’ve just announced a massive price increase, oh and by the way we’re cutting back deliveries.

The late professor Stephen Hawkins said some time ago ‘if they get in again (the Tories)’ it will be a disaster for the NHS. What happened? People went out and voted conservative like their lives depended on it! What hope!

The Tories have been a disaster, see how they will like it losing their jobs, can another party or a mix of parties working together unwind any of the mess?;)

HOLA447
5 minutes ago, winkie said:

The Tories have been a disaster, see how they will like it losing their jobs, can another party or a mix of parties working together unwind any of the mess?;)

Where would you even start? 

HOLA448
6 hours ago, MarkD said:

I don’t think it’s just the tories. The massive explosion in bureaucracy started under labour. In Higher education it’s gone bananas and it’s quite plain to see for those of us in the system long enough. The school I joined in 1993 had 4-5 adminstrators and 25 academics.  Now for the first time support staff pay exceeds that of academics and it’s growing. Most of these people vote labour and would not accepts that their job and pay is part of he problem. So essentially labour is enabling the problem.

the NHS is totally dysfunctional but Labour are never going to make the changes necessary they would get fried a the ballot box.

its the same with immigration both side want it (for different reasons) so we will get it whoever you vote for.

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA449
On 12/03/2024 at 19:26, The Angry Capitalist said:

Not really.

If they get too expensive I am sure some vets would start their own practice.

Entrepreneurs will start up places if there is profit to be had.

I'm sure a word in the ear of the right corrupt politicians can make sure we get some more regulations brought in to put a stop to that - it's usually the way when a large business or cartel of business wants to corner the market.

HOLA4410
7 hours ago, MarkD said:

Start with building bridges with Europe, stop the privatisation of health, sort out the diabolical condition of the teeth of the nation......see that all schools are good schools for all children.....total housing reform reset.;)

HOLA4411
51 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

Its the same with immigration both side want it (for different reasons) so we will get it whoever you vote for

Fairly certain I won't be voting this time around, made that mistake before!

HOLA4412
3 minutes ago, winkie said:

Start with building bridges with Europe, stop the privatisation of health, sort out the diabolical condition of the teeth of the nation......see that all schools are good schools for all children.....total housing reform reset.;)

Don't see the blue team achieving any of that, as for the red team..........I'll give them 6 months before they self destruct!

HOLA4413
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, winkie said:

Start with building bridges with Europe, stop the privatisation of health, sort out the diabolical condition of the teeth of the nation......see that all schools are good schools for all children.....total housing 

Duplicate

Edited by MarkD
Duplication

HOLA4414
12 minutes ago, MarkD said:

Don't see the blue team achieving any of that, as for the red team, I'll give them 6 months before they self destruct!

There will be huge pressure to spend to support the armed services, yet another service been neglected..on our own now.;)

HOLA4415
7 hours ago, MarkD said:

Make it a condition of studying medicine that they have to work in the NHS for eg 10 years, in return a substantial pay rise  for junior doctors.  Local registry for all residents so hospitals can monitor the age and number of potential patients. Charge for accessing the NHS without registration.

Dentists, just needs an increase in pay per patient. I approve of limiting materials to basic ones for NHS patients. Again train more.

the bureaucracy needs streamline, cap administrators pay, some of it is insane.

it does need more money for facilities and doctors though cannot escape that

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, debtlessmanc said:

the NHS is totally dysfunctional but Labour are never going to make the changes necessary they would get fried a the ballot box.

its the same with immigration both side want it (for different reasons) so we will get it whoever you vote for.

Immigration will be relentless. Labour are going to make a right hash of things. Then in another 5 years time the electorate vote overwhelmingly for fascism. Its almost inevitable now, here and across Europe.

HOLA4417
6 minutes ago, Frankie Teardrop said:

Immigration will be relentless. Labour are going to make a right hash of things. Then in another 5 years time the electorate vote overwhelmingly for fascism. Its almost inevitable now, here and across Europe.

That’s what I fear, it was a major factor in my feeling that leave was the only hope of avoiding it. Something like a “handmades tale” could be heading our way.

HOLA4418
33 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

That’s what I fear, it was a major factor in my feeling that leave was the only hope of avoiding it. Something like a “handmades tale” could be heading our way.

Could, would, should......your world view.....is that your worst fear?......best not to guesstimate what others do or think of you.;)

HOLA4419
43 minutes ago, winkie said:

Could, would, should......your world view.....is that your worst fear?......best not to guesstimate what others do or think of you.;)

Every fear is based on a rational judgement of probability- I drive a car but I am aware that road accidents kill some people.  
I am Interested in history.

civil wars are the worst and they usually seem inconceivable right up them starting.

it was absolutely inconceivable that Englishman would kill Englishman right up until the first battle of the Civil War that killed more people in the U.K. (the war of three kingdoms) then any other as a fraction of the population.

The king thought he did not need to listen to the people. Much like Our modern bunch.

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA4420
7 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

If you intended to reference Atwood - and her "Handmaid's tale" - that has several terrifying ideas in it - and I'm not only referring to the possibility that, in future, people might find Scrabble exciting.

6 hours ago, winkie said:

It's been said that the Handmaid's Tale was a feminist version of 1984... and elements of that story remain remarkably prescient - given that almost everyone in the world today has a screen that not only shows them propaganda, but also watches their every move.  Unlike in the fictional 1984, in reality, today, every demographic is watched - including the irrelevant plebs who drink beer rather than Victory gin.

In order to be frightening, one needs the threat to seem credible. History demonstrates many examples of abominable human conduct... and I see nothing that precludes similar happening again. It probably won't be a precise action-replay... but we should expect a resonance across time and place.  The thing that scares me the most is arrogance, incompetence, assumed privilege and desperate stupidity.  These things are not only a threat to me as a potential victim - but also a threat to those whose behaviour has those traits.  I'm worried about the small-minded petty blinkered people who, through an impenetrable fog of confusion, behave in a lazy stupid way that results in sickening consequences.  I'm not afraid of malicious geniuses - the odd psychopath... they are sufficiently few and far between that they won't likely be a problem for me.  The frightening prospect is finding we're in a world where everyone seems mentally incompetent and a vile (entirely fictional) narrative pervades everything mainstream... where, even if one can see through it ones self... it is impossible in the zeitgeist to convince others who've fallen under its spell.

For fear, in my opinion, one should read Dostoyevsky.  Crime and Punishment is an amazing novel.  While we presume it fictional... it captures the the essence of a real place, time and regime.  A world analogous to that with which Raskolnikov fails to cope is one that I'd find most frightening.

Edited by A.steve

HOLA4421

Vet group hit by cyber attack

CVS Group, the London-listed veterinary services provider which owns around 500 practices in the UK, Australia, Netherlands and Ireland including The Vet Collection chain, says hackers gained “unauthorised external access to a limited number of its IT systems”. The attack has affected emails, phone lines and online forms.

It says it has detected and intercepted the attack, which has limited the cyber incident, but that there is an “ongoing operational impact” on the company within the UK, meaning services in the country are continuing to be affected.

“IT services to our practices and business functions have now been securely restored across the majority of the estate; however, due to the increased levels of security and monitoring, some systems are not working as efficiently as previously and this is likely to result in an ongoing operational impact,” it says.

The Vet Collection’s website says: “We are having issues with our online forms and emails, please call your practice for appointments and queries.”

Meanwhile, multiple Facebook pages for practices in the group show that phone lines were not working last week, with pet owners urged to contact them only in emergencies.