House Price Crash Forum

Labour could get annihilated too

HOLA441
8 minutes ago, Big Orange said:

Labour are far less likely to get annihilated than the incumbant Tories this year, but in 24-25 will be put under far greater pressure and scrutiny than in 97-98 (no honeymoon period this time).

What will any parliament do if do not have the money.......so much has been spent this parliament with nothing to show for it.;)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
10 minutes ago, Big Orange said:

Labour are far less likely to get annihilated than the incumbant Tories this year, but in 24-25 will be put under far greater pressure and scrutiny than in 97-98 (no honeymoon period this time).

Agree

Labour will win by a mile in 2024 but in 1997 they inherited a great situation whereas now they will inherit the biggest mess for 50 years

HOLA443
11 hours ago, Goat said:

Technically, Labour did have a candidate in Rochdale, they may have disowned him, but he was still the Labour candidate.

Exactly, it's right there in black and white in the results. To say they didn't field a candidate is a lie and was just Kier Starmer's pathetic excuse. Labour supporters would normally have picked the Labour option no matter who the candidate was so this result is significant. @scottbeard

• George Galloway, Workers Party of Britain 12,335
  • David Tully, Independent 6,638
  • Paul Ellison, Conservative Party 3,731
  • Azhar Ali, Labour Party 2,402
  • Iain Donaldson, Liberal Democrats 2,164
  • Simon Danczuk, Reform UK 1,968
  • William Howarth, Independent 523
  • Mark Coleman, Independent 455
  • Guy Otten, Green Party 436
  • Michael Howarth, Independent 246
  • Ravin Subortna, Official Monster Raving Loony Party 209

HOLA444

Wages paid depending on productivity, how productive individuals are......have they earned their keep, or are people being paid more than they create/do/produce....some people over paid, others underpaid, some not paid at all.......just a thought, is the country paying its way.;)

HOLA445

If anyone thinks voting for Labour is going to change the way the U.K. is headed then you are going to be sorely disappointed.

List out the differences. I don't see any. I guess you are wanting the same policies as the Conservatives but more?

Better to do something different. At least try something new. Vote ReformUK.

HOLA446
14 minutes ago, Far Canal said:

If anyone thinks voting for Labour is going to change the way the U.K. is headed then you are going to be sorely disappointed.

List out the differences. I don't see any. I guess you are wanting the same policies as the Conservatives but more?

Everything went downhill since the lies and promises of Brexit.......what party will speak up and say they want closer ties to the European Union return to square one......Reform certainly are not, buyer beware.;)

HOLA447
27 minutes ago, Far Canal said:

How well has the Tory government you elected served you these last 13 years? Any regrets? 

HOLA448
10 minutes ago, winkie said:

Everything went downhill since the lies and promises of Brexit.......what party will speak up and say they want closer ties to the European Union return to square one......Reform certainly are not, buyer beware.;)

They broke when they went woke and alienated their core working class voters.

HOLA449
1 minute ago, fellow said:

They broke when they went woke and alienated their core working class voters.

Always voted conservative and my family has also.....none of them as I understand will next time, our Tory MP is a good MP I support them and all the hard work they do, unfortunately there are those that have let him down and so many of us down.....'woke' what a stupid word they made up to divide and split the nation......was it all worth it?;)

HOLA4410
12 hours ago, Goat said:

Technically, Labour did have a candidate in Rochdale, they may have disowned him, but he was still the Labour candidate.

Correct.  Most people take NO interest in poltics at all and wouldn't even have known Labour withdrew their support.  Plus a massive number of votes were postal, so likely made before the support was withdrawn.

The ballot paper even had a big rose and the word LABOUR next to his name.

So all this 'Labour didn't have a candidate' is disingenuous nonsense.

HOLA4411
1 hour ago, scottbeard said:

Agree

Labour will win by a mile in 2024 but in 1997 they inherited a great situation whereas now they will inherit the biggest mess for 50 years

I agree.

The only reservation is that the situation in the 1990s was good in hindsight, but did not seem so at the time.

HOLA4412
1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

I agree.

The only reservation is that the situation in the 1990s was good in hindsight, but did not seem so at the time.

The 70s, 80s, and 90s had their ups and downs, winners and losers, but today's era really feels like general stagnation, aimlessness, and decay (that was present in earlier decades, but left unaddressed and wallpapered over, since it was less advanced).

HOLA4413
7 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

Correct.  Most people take NO interest in poltics at all and wouldn't even have known Labour withdrew their support.  Plus a massive number of votes were postal, so likely made before the support was withdrawn.

The ballot paper even had a big rose and the word LABOUR next to his name.

So all this 'Labour didn't have a candidate' is disingenuous nonsense.

Exactly. I do have some interest in politics and I have never once looked for anything other than the party name when casting my vote.

HOLA4414
37 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I agree.

Kinda. I think there was a general feeling by 97 that things were changing for the better but time for a change and Tories were not credited with improvements. Destroyed by sleaze too. I would agree though that this does not feel anywhere the same in terms of the economy and public services.

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Big Orange said:

The 70s, 80s, and 90s had their ups and downs, winners and losers, but today's era really feels like general stagnation, aimlessness, and decay (that was present in earlier decades, but left unaddressed and wallpapered over, since it was less advanced).

53 minutes ago, Lagarde's Drift said:

Kinda. I think there was a general feeling by 97 that things were changing for the better but time for a change and Tories were not credited with improvements. Destroyed by sleaze too. I would agree though that this does not feel anywhere the same in terms of the economy and public services.

I expect so too. But it could be we will be proven wrong.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
3 hours ago, Big Orange said:

They will just do what all incoming governments do, when replacing an opposite long running opposite government.... they'll spend the first 5 years constantly telling people, when faced with some problem/crisis, to "remember just how bad things were under the Tories" and "We have inherited a decade of mess to clean and up and fix" and other similar such excuses.

Post-97 New Labour endlessly milked the old "Don't you remember what it was like when Maggie was in charge....?" type spin - even though by the time they came to power Thatcher had been gone for 7 years already at least.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
3 hours ago, fellow said:

Exactly, it's right there in black and white in the results. To say they didn't field a candidate is a lie and was just Kier Starmer's pathetic excuse. Labour supporters would normally have picked the Labour option no matter who the candidate was so this result is significant. @scottbeard

Don't forget that, AFAIK, turnout was less than 40%. Low even for a by-election.

Result could be materially different at the general election?

HOLA4421
4 hours ago, fellow said:

What it said in black and white was incorrect, it was just too late to change the ballot

He was expelled from the party between the ballots being printed and the election

There was no candidate who, if they had won, would have become a Labour MP

Ergo, there was no Labour candidate

HOLA4422
6 hours ago, winkie said:

Lib Dems, Greens, SNP all want to go back into the E.U. They are very clear about that.

Rejoiners would all be voting for them wouldn't they?

HOLA4423
6 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

How well has the Tory government you elected served you these last 13 years? Any regrets? 

This Tory government is nothing I've ever wanted. Their policies are disastrous.

As they have the same policies as Labour then they too would be disastrous.

How are you going to vote at the G.E.?

HOLA4424
19 hours ago, Far Canal said:

Lib Dems, Greens, SNP all want to go back into the E.U. They are very clear about that.

Rejoiners would all be voting for them wouldn't they?

Waiting for when the election is called, see what all political parties have to say......Tory party a definite No, couldn't bear another five years of them......enough to make someone leave the country.;)

HOLA4425
On 3/2/2024 at 12:30 AM, The Angry Capitalist said:

It's just a mood I'm picking up on.

I'm seeing a lot of people on social media commenting on this topic.

The sense I am getting is that people are fed up with both.

It’s a fair summary as I see things too.