House Price Crash Forum

Thursday's BoE meeting - what's your prediction?

Thursday's BoE meeting - what's your prediction?   

106 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen to the interest base rate on Thursday?

• -0.5%
    • -0.25%
    • 0%
    • +0.25%
    • +0.5%
    • +0.75%
    • +1%
    • Other, please specify below

HOLA441

Interesting one this time, and maybe not quite so easy to predict as the last couple of meetings. 

Inflation is clearly ticking up. We've got the shipping crisis in the Red Sea which we didn't have at the last meeting. But we've also got mortgage rates coming down, and savers rates being slashed. Bond and gilts yields are rising, and the odd lender or two have raised mortgage rates. 

What say you? What will happen to the base rate next Thur 1st Feb?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
5 minutes ago, Orb said:

Inflation is clearly ticking up. We've got the shipping crisis in the Red Sea which we didn't have at the last meeting. But we've also got mortgage rates coming down, and savers rates being slashed. Bond and gilts yields are rising, and the odd lender or two have raised mortgage rates. 

The whole spectrum of economic news and expectations seems to a bunch of paradoxes. It is all starting to make less sense.

For that reason, I voted 0% no change as the BOE have little option other than to 'wait and see'.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
7 minutes ago, Stewy said:

Should be minus quarter but they'll bottle it again. 👎

A full 2% will be nice on top of what I'm already getting on my savings. You do realize you are another one who has also been exposed for not being truthful on here about there position. You want rates to come down because your cheap fix is ending soon.

HOLA448
3 minutes ago, Tony_Teacake said:

A full 2% will be nice on top of what I'm already getting on my savings. You do realize you are another one who has also been exposed for not being truthful on here about there position. You want rates to come down because your cheap fix is ending soon.

No it's because minus quarter is the right thing to do to get ahead of deflation. No VI here - Bought a House with Cash. 

HOLA449

No change, but the move after is probably going to be up. The BOE didn't do the job correctly in the first place which means they'll be forced into going quite a bit higher. This will come as a 'shock' to most lemons though who believe everything the media (both MSM and social) tell them.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
7 minutes ago, Dreamcasting said:

No change, but the move after is probably going to be up. The BOE didn't do the job correctly in the first place which means they'll be forced into going quite a bit higher. This will come as a 'shock' to most lemons though who believe everything the media (both MSM and social) tell them.

I pre-empted the media's rate-cut talk. They're as much behind the curve as the BoE. 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

All feels a bit dull at the moment. Jerome, the bane of overleveraged simpletons everywhere, hasn't got his meeting till next week. No pressure on Bailey then, so went no change...

Edited by Huggy

HOLA4416
4 minutes ago, Huggy said:

All feels a bit dull at the moment. Jerome, the bane of overleveraged simpletons everywhere, hasn't got his meeting till next week. No pressure on Bailey then, so went no change...

It's 1st Feb 

HOLA4417
1 hour ago, Stewy said:

I pre-empted the media's rate-cut talk. They're as much behind the curve as the BoE. 

I'm not convinced that the bank aren't so far behind the curve that they will end up having to taking the higher road, as you and the media talk up the benefits of the low road.

but I guess none of us know for sure until after they crash the car into a big wall.

Edited by Bear Necessities

HOLA4418

I think it's steady as she goes until Q2 earliest. 

There's upward and downward pressures. Downward seems to be the main economic tilt but guerrilla attacks on shipping etc providing some upside through longer shipping channels. I don't see this as playing a significant role longer term. 

US and UK incumbents requires a nice landscape prior to leadership elections. No coincidence both hitting Houthi targets. I can see more intervention and even supporting Saudi (in return for cheap oil and normalising of Israeli relations) to sort out Yemen. 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
1 hour ago, Stewy said:

No it's because minus quarter is the right thing to do to get ahead of deflation. No VI here - Bought a House with Cash. 

Yes, but you are looking to buy many more, how many homes do you want?;)

HOLA4422

+0.25%

Three members voted to raise last time so we only need two more to become more hawkish. The unexpected inflation uptick plus the ongoing Red Sea uncertainties might be just enough to do it.

Edited by fellow

HOLA4423
12 minutes ago, fellow said:

+0.25%

Three members voted to raise last time so we only need two more to become more hawkish. The unexpected inflation uptick plus the ongoing Red Sea uncertainties might be just enough to do it.

I expected a raise in December. But now I’ve predicted no change. 

They should raise IMO. But they won’t.

HOLA4424
2 hours ago, Huggy said:

I reckon Bailey has already been on the blower to Powell.

"What's happening at the next FED meeting Jerome"

"We are going to keep the rates the same Andrew because there is too much stress in the banking system but the stock markets are crying for a cut".

"Andrew replies ok we will keep them the same".

HOLA4425