House Price Crash Forum

U.K. Drug Shortages ‘Worse Than Ever’ As Brexit Continues To Bite

HOLA441

https://www.forbes.com/sites/katherinehignett/2024/01/15/uk-drug-shortages-worse-than-ever-as-brexit-continues-to-bite/

British pharmacists are struggling to get their hands on certain medicines for cancer, epilepsy, diabetes and menopause as drug supply issues intensify in the country.

The number of drug products in short supply nearly doubled from start of 2022 to the end of last year, data obtained by the British Generic Manufacturers Association show.

I've never thought about what happens if the drug supply chain breaks down in the West. It's quite scary now I have.

I'm not sure how much of this is to do with brexit. Here is a good article on the supply chain issues in the EU

https://think.ing.com/articles/why-there-is-no-end-in-sight-for-the-eu-drug-shortage-crab-carolina-lal-pharma

HOLA442
4 hours ago, sta100 said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/katherinehignett/2024/01/15/uk-drug-shortages-worse-than-ever-as-brexit-continues-to-bite/

I've never thought about what happens if the drug supply chain breaks down in the West. It's quite scary now I have.

I'm not sure how much of this is to do with brexit. Here is a good article on the supply chain issues in the EU

https://think.ing.com/articles/why-there-is-no-end-in-sight-for-the-eu-drug-shortage-crab-carolina-lal-pharma

I had a vague memory of drug shortages in Spain last year. Base problem nothing to do with Brexit. Anyway, very much  doubt the useless Toryz would have any idea what to do about it, they don't have a clue about anything at the moment - doubt they even care.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eu-sets-up-new-mechanisms-stave-off-medicine-shortages-2023-10-24/

HOLA443

Whilst I'm sure Brexit has made logistics more difficult in the pharma trade, I'd say (and I admit I know nothing about it specifically) this is more a symptom of the what I would term 'shortage of everything'.

It scares me but I have a nagging small feeling that the world maybe at the slowly slowly then all at once stage of decline. It's only a small part of me but one can see in many sectors things just aren't 'working' anymore and I don't mean in a things were better in my day way.

Like I say I know **** about **** and I truly hope this is a blip in the road but ye... Time for bed.

HOLA444
47 minutes ago, deerohdeer1 said:

It scares me but I have a nagging small feeling that the world maybe at the slowly slowly then all at once stage of decline. It's only a small part of me but one can see in many sectors things just aren't 'working' anymore and I don't mean in a things were better in my day way.

+1

HOLA445
1 hour ago, deerohdeer1 said:

Whilst I'm sure Brexit has made logistics more difficult in the pharma trade, I'd say (and I admit I know nothing about it specifically) this is more a symptom of the what I would term 'shortage of everything'.

Like I say I know **** about **** and I truly hope this is a blip in the road but ye... Time for bed.

Agree.

I think this is also why many people are working less and have given up which is a negative loop.

Edited by sta100

HOLA446
HOLA447
14 hours ago, sta100 said:

The vast majority of people don't need drugs though. This is for a tiny minority of young unfortunates and old people who have really clung on for too long.

For diabetics, who are the other major consumer of drugs, adopting a low carb diet significantly reduces their need for insulin and metformin while substantially improving their quality of life and lifespan.

HOLA448
HOLA449
10 hours ago, deerohdeer1 said:

If there is going to be, or if there is a shortage of more things......medication in particular very important in the lives of many people who are now rationing what they have in the hope more will become available, this creates unnecessary anxiety which is not good for productivity/health and wellness of the nation on top of longer NHS waiting lists that are counter productive.....surely having easy and free trade with close trading partners that manufacture or grow the things we all want and need helps us in the long-term.....nothing at the moment is helping us, can we help ourselves? are we set up to provide it ourselves?......we are all globally interconnected, if we now want something it will now have to be negotiated and could end up costing us more......;)

Edited by winkie
be

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
35 minutes ago, Locke said:

The vast majority of people don't need drugs though. This is for a tiny minority of young unfortunates and old people who have really clung on for too long....

70% of the uk population receive at least 1 prescription a year link and in 2022/23 almost 1.2 Billion prescriptions were issued in England alone. link The biggest increase in prescriptions in men is heart disease, and the most common in women is gastrointestinal diseases.

My son had reduced kidney function for 2 years until he had an operation. he needed 2 medicines and 1 was so difficult to get hold of that once nhs24 arranged for us to travel 16 miles to collect one tablet because that was the closest pharmacist that had the medicine had (this is a big city - Edinburgh)

This week i've seen headlines saying theres a shortage of scabies treatment and there are outbreaks as a result. perhaps one for the "back to the 19th century" thread.

Edited by regprentice

HOLA4413
25 minutes ago, sta100 said:

Do people on here not have families or something?

I moved my mother in with us to look after her....

20 minutes ago, regprentice said:

70% of the uk population receive at least 1 prescription a year link and in 2022/23 almost 1.2 Billion prescriptions were issued in England alone.

I bet most of that is unnecessary.

21 minutes ago, regprentice said:

The biggest increase in prescriptions in men is heart disease,

Almost certainly statins, which are a pharma grift (disgusting that we are robbed by the government to support pharma profits in this way) and have zero benefit in improving lifespan and for a substantial number of people severely negatively impacts their quality of life.

23 minutes ago, regprentice said:

the most common in women is gastrointestinal diseases.

Lifestyle choice. Eat less fibre and cut out seed oils and for many gluten and these problems go away. No drugs needed.

24 minutes ago, regprentice said:

My son had reduced kidney function for 2 years until he had an operation. he needed 2 medicines and 1 was so difficult to get hold of that once nhs24 arranged for us to travel 16 miles to collect one tablet because that was the closest pharmacist that had the medicine had (this is a big city - Edinburgh)

Ok, I am sorry your son is one of the unfortunates who are impacted by this.

24 minutes ago, regprentice said:

This week i've seen headlines saying theres a shortage of scabies treatment and there are outbreaks as a result. 

Scabies generally only affects people with reduced immune function - the old or HIV-infected. 

26 minutes ago, regprentice said:

"back to the 19th century"

Yes, where you had to take care not to make yourself sick via overeating or unnecessary risks.

HOLA4414
Just now, Locke said:

I moved my mother in with us to look after her....

So how would it affect her if she can't get medication?

My own Mother had a stroke last year and needs various medication, I know if she stops taking it there's health consequences. I honestly don't know why anyone can think this is a good thing.

HOLA4415
Just now, sta100 said:

So how would it affect her if she can't get medication?

My own Mother had a stroke last year and needs various medication, I know if she stops taking it there's health consequences. I honestly don't know why anyone can think this is a good thing.

Not really knowable.

If someone has to pop 10 tablets of some techno-chemical per day down your throat just to hang on at 90 years of age, maybe it is past your time?

HOLA4416
7 minutes ago, Locke said:

Not really knowable.

If someone has to pop 10 tablets of some techno-chemical per day down your throat just to hang on at 90 years of age, maybe it is past your time?

It is knowable in my mothers case because she forgot to take them for a few days and ended up back in hospital

I can't be bothered to entertain a sociopath this morning that can't make the distinction between the issue of a shortage of drugs and the issue of an overreliance on pills so I'll leave you to it

Edited by sta100

HOLA4417
3 hours ago, msi said:

Fewer pills for the Gammonatti and their throbbing temples, fewer Gamonatti.

Finally a Br*xit win....

The lefty lunatics are dying young, due to their jab concoction mandate, so it ought to level out.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
2 hours ago, Locke said:

Scabies generally only affects people with reduced immune function - the old or HIV-infected. 

Yes, where you had to take care not to make yourself sick via overeating or unnecessary risks.

Scabies affects anyone. You just need close contact. Spreads rapidly in university students. 

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
21 hours ago, msi said:

Finally a Br*xit win....

It's what they voted for.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Change the record FFS, you nasty lying anti-democratic losers.

Bitter pills: Europe struggles with medicine shortages

11 Dec 2023

A fragile supply chain and increased demand are causing a shortfall in the EU’s stock of critical medicines. Gabriela Galindo looks at how policymakers can stabilise the situation

https://www.theparliamentmagazine.eu/news/article/bitter-pills-medicine-shortages-in-europe

Edited by Eddie_George

HOLA4425
On 19/01/2024 at 09:22, msi said:

Finally a Br*xit win....

I agree hopefully those unvaccinated immigrants and those bringing in tropical diseases will be affected too.