Too many adverts

HOLA441
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
17 minutes ago, yodigo said:

Problem is... the advanced sites are detecting add blockers and blocking access until you turn it off. Don't know if any of the browsers can fool them? 

1. Well that is the point that you thank the site for forcing you to give up and get valuable hours of your life back!
  2. That's how I left Twiter - they locked me out, and I was so relieved not to ever have to go on there again!
  3. why are the paragraphs of my reply numbered like bullet points?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
4 hours ago, Smith said:

It's still impossible to quote anyone using Chrome on Android, because the pop up box is hidden by ads along the bottom of the screen.

I am really sorry you are having issues, everyone is still working on getting it right so everyone is squared away.

I am struggling to replicate what you are experiencing using Chrome? 😟

Could be a silly question...you are just using 'standard' Chrome, right? 

HOLA446
16 minutes ago, Old Man George said:

I am really sorry you are having issues, everyone is still working on getting it right so everyone is squared away.

I am using Firefox George. Still seeing problems, even with UBlock enanbled.

BTW, everybody should NOT be using Chrome. It's for Google, not the user.

10 Reasons To Stop Using Google Chrome
https://www.slashgear.com/780920/10-reasons-to-stop-using-google-chrome/

It’s time to ditch Chrome | WIRED UK
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/google-chrome-browser-data

Chrome Is Bad | Hacker News
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25400618

Users furious as Google secretly forces login in Chrome | TechBeacon
https://techbeacon.com/security/users-furious-google-secretly-forces-login-chrome

8 compelling reasons to quit Chrome and switch to Firefox | PCWorld
https://www.pcworld.com/article/704687/why-quit-chrome-and-switch-to-mozilla-firefox.html

Vivaldi, Brave, Firefox, Opera, LibreWolf etc - anything but Chrome.

Thanks for your hard work. Know the anxiety well 🙂

HOLA447
1 hour ago, Old Man George said:

I've just tried Chrome on Android both in mobile mode and the "Desktop site" mode - they both yield the same result. Ad blockers only remove the Ad content which leaves a large blank space where the Ad would have been. Same thing with all browsers and Ad block combinations on this forum right now.

On Desktop (Windows and Linux), no issues with ads or blank spaces when using an Ad blocker with the browsers i've tried.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Understood.

!General message!: there isn't anything im able to do my end if you are using an adblocker. I dont know singularly how each one works and there is so many. Plus the all combinations of logins from browser types, plus mobile or desktop. There is just too many variables. You understand where im coming from I hope. Ive got the ads halved on the site, for mobile users, and want to help anyone further, still running native with no blockers. All feedback is good feedback thanks for your help 😊

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
On 30/10/2023 at 09:41, yodigo said:

Problem is... the advanced sites are detecting add blockers and blocking access until you turn it off. Don't know if any of the browsers can fool them? 

I have tried opera browser and it's still hard work. Trouble is, if an advert is just an image file embedded into a webpage it's hard to guess if it's genuine pic or an ad.

Maybe it could check if any link association is on a black list but that's potentially a extensive list to maintain.  It's been a while since I did much with web tech so maybe behind the times a bit though.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Google have done similar to their search listings. More ads than content.

Adsense per click is down about 50% in real terms for me this year. 

a lot of the ads are for investment platforms which have seen outflows to fixed savings

Persoanlly I havn’t switched to a different search engine I’m instead using completely different methods to search for info. 

suspect forums will go the same way.  discord  etc. 

HOLA4421

Sooo many business models will break as we go from a low rate environment to a normalised rate environment. 

The very nature of “how things get done” is changing. 

advertisements, is an example of companies having to work extra hard just to try to maintain sales or reduce the severity of the fall in sales.

the tide of free money is drawing out.

equally forums are quite ‘old school’ now. 

also it’s been sooo long since the last true crash (1990’s) that it’s gone out of living memory. if you were 30 in the 1989 you would be 65 now (more or less) 

so this website has been catering for either rare visionary younger people (like myself) or a thinning out herd, of older people, who have seen it happen before and are finally watching it happen again.

what’s going to be interesting, is over the next 10-16 years HPC will be firmly mainstream. 

a new influx of of younger people woken to the possibility that a crash CAN actually happen. 

but will the discussion be on here? Or just the spirit of HPC be spread over other media? Will a real HPC be the death of this website?

When the crash becomes mainstream and in 7-8 years time (in the bitter depths of the crash) when it’s well known ‘houses are a rubbish investment’ 

will I be here (mostly alone - most others posters long since dead) screaming about how you can buy flats for £30k and houses for £100k and they are an incredible investment.

HPI forum will be seen as full of weirdos, with their fringe views 

HOLA4422
5 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

Sooo many business models will break as we go from a low rate environment to a normalised rate environment. 

The very nature of “how things get done” is changing. 

advertisements, is an example of companies having to work extra hard just to try to maintain sales or reduce the severity of the fall in sales.

I'm still astounded how many marketing 'experts' drone on about 'reach' and 'views', but look perplexed when I ask a simple question around conversion.

HPI forum will be seen as full of weirdos, with their fringe views 

Perhaps some of our own loons can f*** o** there.  Alas that seems to be the case with all virtual village squares end up full of actual village id*ots.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4423
On 10/28/2023 at 10:44 AM, Old Man George said:

Hey folks, apologies, im seeing the same too, with the new GDPR roll out came some over zealous ads.

If you could grin and bear it until just Monday or find a work around, as above, that would be really helpful. We will crack it.

It has however given me a unique insight into our household internet search habits, having seen 7 ads for sheds, im going to surmise, that next weekend...ill be ordered by domestic management to put up a shed.  

This is still an issue BTW, not sure if any changes were made? I'm still experiencing the following (on desktop):

- Banner ad at bottom of page blocks functionality of site (new reply notifications);

- Full page ads inserting themselves between the page you were on and the page you requested;

- If you click to 'dismiss' ('nah' button) an ad it takes you to the advertisers page, a very scummy practice.  You have to press the 'x' instead,

- Still shows 'saving....' when you submit a topic or reply, doesn't refresh the page.

Will add others as I remember.

I appreciate it costs money to run a website and forum and we get it for free but is there any option to look at other ways of funding, e.g. small yearly membership fee, a larger lifetime 'supporter' membership that would give posters some benefit (such as a special status under their avatar. I'm sure you can think of better incentives than me).

HOLA4424
HOLA4425