House Price Crash Forum

Telegraph: If you’re under 50, it’s time to jump ship – get out of Britain while you can

HOLA441

Telegraph: If you’re under 50, it’s time to jump ship – get out of Britain while you can

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/08/17/under-50-time-jump-ship-leave-britain/

https://archive.ph/KwLlj

The record tax burden in 2027/28 could easily be passed in the 2030s, and the 2040s too.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Yup - I've thought that for many, many years. By every conceivible metric we've been circling the drain for decades and the decay seems to be accelerating.

While I'm stuck here anyway by my own circumstances, it seems that another cruel effect of Brexit is preventing (or at least making it far more difficult) from deserting this sinking ship.

HOLA443
HOLA444
6 minutes ago, ftb_fml said:

While I'm stuck here anyway by my own circumstances....

Then 'stand and fight' and be one of those, that the article describes, to at least to do your bit to try and fix things.

Write to your MP. Make your anger heard. The 'system' of democracy can work IF people use it.

HOLA445

But which country would you go to? The only one mentioned in that article I’d be interested in would be Denmark.
Australia and Ireland two of my preferred alternatives have housing problems as bad , if not worse in the case of Ireland, than the UK.

I have met many Americans recently, either where I work or holidaying in UK/Europe that are now actively considering a plan B in case Trump gets elected… many of them are looking at UK !

HOLA446
1 minute ago, skomer said:

But which country would you go to? The only one mentioned in that article I’d be interested in would be Denmark.
Australia and Ireland two of my preferred alternatives have housing problems as bad , if not worse in the case of Ireland, than the UK.

I have met many Americans recently, either where I work or holidaying in UK/Europe that are now actively considering a plan B in case Trump gets elected… many of them are looking at UK !

Canadia?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
1 hour ago, anonguest said:

Then 'stand and fight' and be one of those, that the article describes, to at least to do your bit to try and fix things.

Write to your MP. Make your anger heard. The 'system' of democracy can work IF people use it.

I live in an ultra safe Tory seat. Totally pointless writing to my MP or even voting.

HOLA4410
13 minutes ago, MancTom said:

I live in an ultra safe Tory seat. Totally pointless writing to my MP or even voting.

Why don’t you join your local Conservative association it is easier to get change from within 

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
23 minutes ago, MancTom said:

Classic thought error.

You'll be surprised just how 'sensitive' MPs are to letters from constituents suddenly piling in, and nearly all on common themes/issues. Just the mere mention, politely of course, of NOT voting for him/her at the next election UNLESS they.... really gets them sitting upright and responding with more sincerity than the usual xeroxed signature reply letter. IF they reply back with some waffly non-committal response then don't let them fob you off with that. Reply back to them and insist on a firm commitment OR your vote is withdrawn

It doesn't take much effort, at a local level, to get a few dozen people sending in their own letters on some issue of wider national concern to have an impact. MPs know that for every 1000 people concerned about some issue that only a very small % ever bother to write in to complain. So IF, say, 100 letters start filling his inbox/postbox in relatively short space of time he/she will 'know' that the true numbers irked by the issue will be X times higher

Edited by anonguest

HOLA4413
2 minutes ago, anonguest said:

Classic thought error.

You'll be surprised just how 'sensitive' MPs are to letters rom constituents suddenly piling in, and nearly all on common themes/issues. Just the mere mention, politely of course, of NOT voting for him/her at the next election UNLESS.... really gets them sitting upright and responding with more sincerity than the usual xeroxed signature reply letter.

It doesn't take much effort, at a local level, to get a few dozen people sending in their own letters on some issue of wider national concern to have an impact. MPs know that for every 1000 people concerned about some issue that only a very small % ever bother to write in to complain. So IF, say, 100 letters start filling his inbox/postbox in relatively short space of time he/she will 'know' that the true numbers irked by the issue will be X times higher

Even better go and see them face to face at one of the regular surgeries.......not all MPs have them.....not all of them work for you.;)

HOLA4414
2 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Why don’t you join your local Conservative association it is easier to get change from within 

Another excellent example of how to relatively easily have a significant impact. It doesn't take many locals to join a local party association (of any political party) to have an impact on the thought processes of the sitting MP.

The 'system' DOES work. The problem is that people just don't use it. The average voter, at best, may write to their MP maybe once in their lifetime. And then when they do it will about something truly frivolous in the grand scheme of things, like opening hours of the local golf club or daylight saving time, etc.

HOLA4415
Just now, winkie said:

Even better go and see them face to face at one of the regular surgeries.......not all MPs have them.....not all of them work for you.;)

Another excellent example.

AND IF they don't so in person surgeries then use THAT as the nature of your complain against them. Get more than a few dozen sending in the same letter of complaint and watch the arrogant sod change their behaviour really quickly!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Just now, rantnrave said:

I wrote to my Tory MP about Tory housing policy. He replied, saying he wasn't going to be drawn into an exchange with me since my email was obviously copy and pasted from a Shelter press release (it wasn't)

What a cheek.......they have no answers except stupid ones, blaming you for what they have failed in.;)

HOLA4418
5 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

I wrote to my Tory MP about Tory housing policy. He replied, saying he wasn't going to be drawn into an exchange with me since my email was obviously copy and pasted from a Shelter press release (it wasn't)

AND your mistake, I am guessing, was to leave it at that and NOT following it up with a response - telling him your vote could well be withdrawn from him unless he is at least willing to discuss the issue?

You should have pointed out to him that who originally drafted the letter is irrelevant. It is YOUR signature (and hence YOUR VOTE!) to it that matters!

Edited by anonguest

HOLA4419
6 minutes ago, anonguest said:

AND your mistake, I am guessing, was to leave it at that and NOT following it up with a response - telling him your vote could well be withdrawn from him unless he is at least willing to discuss the issue?

You should have pointed out to him that who originally drafted the letter is irrelevant. It is YOUR signature (and hence YOUR VOTE!) to it that matters!

I've written back to him several times, and reminded him on each occasion of his accusation. He's only replied once more, stating his support for current Tory housing policy (and ignoring my reminder of his earlier comment)

Can't threaten to withdraw my vote - I've never voted for him

HOLA4420
1 hour ago, skomer said:

Damn, the fact that they are so anti Trump means that they are woke losers - we have enough of them already!

HOLA4421

I've written back to him several times, and reminded him on each occasion of his accusation. He's only replied once more, stating his support for current Tory housing policy (and ignoring my reminder of his earlier comment)

Then you can write telling him how much free time to reflect on that policy he'll have when he's out of office.  😉

ALWAYS make sure to have the last word with these sorts!

BUT he doesn't know that (unless of course you foolishly told him!)  😉

Edited by anonguest

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
14 minutes ago, Trampa501 said:

Shouldn't you go to the closest safe country, and stay there? ie northern France.

Could pick worse.;)

Got enough income or money can live anywhere......being free to move for everyone, those days are gone now.......soon with AI languages will no longer be a barrier, we all will be able to talk to anyone and understand everyone.;)

HOLA4424
22 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

HOLA4425
3 minutes ago, winkie said:

Could pick worse.;)

Got enough income or money can live anywhere......being free to move for everyone, those days are gone now.......soon with AI languages will no longer be a barrier, we all will be able to talk to anyone and understand everyone.;)

And how will that work?  Will there be some 21st century version of Douglas Adam's Babel Fish?

Edited by anonguest