House Price Crash Forum

Landlord forces entry due to non paying tenant

FANG

HOLA441
HOLA442

The landlord went for him with the guard on that saw up. I'd have expected police interest but this was the news on it. Still I don't respect doctors any more and I can't see why he wasn't paying rent if he has such a well paid job so i've no sympathy. 

"He claimed the gardaí who visited his home yesterday after the incident with the circular saw told him that it was a “civil matter”. "

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/other/galway-surgeon-speaks-of-terror-after-landlord-lunged-at-him-with-circular-saw/ar-AA1a1xIk

HOLA443

I see it's Ireland but isn't that a "criminal matter" in this country?

Should be made to replace the tenant's home's door and then get compo on top :)

Edited by Huggy

HOLA444
HOLA445
22 minutes ago, FANG said:

The door is repairable, but I am more intrigued into why the surgeon is not paying his rent!

From the link above:

Speaking after the incident, the Ballinasloe hospital surgeon explained that a rent disagreement evolved with the landlord after his online rent transactions began bouncing last August, and he could not contact his landlord to ask why this was occurring. 

“I kept trying every month and put the money aside so I would have it there when he got in touch.

And yes, in the UK, this would be a hate crime as well as assault with credible threats to kill. The LL would be looking at a stretch inside IMO.

Unless the Dr is lying of course, but I tend to beleive the person that was not filmed lunging at someone whilst brandishing a curcular saw.

HOLA446
28 minutes ago, FANG said:

The door is repairable, but I am more intrigued into why the surgeon is not paying his rent!

yes, that is a question. Maybe he isn't well ...?

I still think the biggest concern might be how *anyone* in any situation anywhere in Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England ... them being countries with (at least relative to the world) decent rule of law ... how on earth could it *ever* be appropriate that you would threaten someone's life with a power tool?

HOLA447
HOLA448
12 minutes ago, crash-and-burn said:

Three sides to every story. Here's the tenants side, which given he's a surgeon, is possibly more plausible.

Why would his story be more plausible just because he is a surgeon? A bit Biased to be honest.  

I was watching a Documentary recently called 24 Hours in Police Custody where suspects are arrested, interviewed and in most cases charged by the Police. 

There was a Surgeon on one of the episodes who had faked a break in at his own house. He was trying to claim about a quarter of a million £ from his insurance company. He ended up with an eight year sentence. As well as being a crook he was extremely arrogant and stupid as he made mistake after mistake with his fake break in. 

HOLA449
1 hour ago, Insane said:

Why would his story be more plausible just because he is a surgeon? A bit Biased to be honest.  

I was watching a Documentary recently called 24 Hours in Police Custody where suspects are arrested, interviewed and in most cases charged by the Police. 

There was a Surgeon on one of the episodes who had faked a break in at his own house. He was trying to claim about a quarter of a million £ from his insurance company. He ended up with an eight year sentence. As well as being a crook he was extremely arrogant and stupid as he made mistake after mistake with his fake break in. 

And what percentage of the general public commit insurance compared to surgeons?

HOLA4410
2 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

And what percentage of the general public commit insurance compared to surgeons?

Not the point 

The poster I answered mentioned that the person was possibly more plausible due to his job. So he automatically assumed something about him just because he had a high ranking career, which is biased.  

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

The reason I say it, is that a surgeon is liable to be paid well, is educated and personal reputation is important. It's hard to imagine they wouldn't have the income or honesty not to pay. Of course I don't rule it out (hence why I say three sides to every story), but compared to the landlord coming at them with a serious power tool in their hand, who do you think is nearer to the truth?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
52 minutes ago, Unmoderated said:

LL would have needed a lot more than crutches if he'd come at me like that. 

I'd still be slamming his head in the sh!tty uPVC door. 

You would have got away with using the force you deemed necessary be that lock stock or kill bill! 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
15 hours ago, Insane said:

Not the point 

The poster I answered mentioned that the person was possibly more plausible due to his job. So he automatically assumed something about him just because he had a high ranking career, which is biased.  

And the point was that, in general, it was a reasonable assumption given that surgeons are statistically less likely to commit such crimes.

It's how insurance works, priced on the basis of risk. 😉

Edited by AThirdWay

HOLA4419
6 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

And the point was that, in general, it was a reasonable assumption given that surgeons are statistically less likely to commit such crimes.

If a crime has been committed you find out the facts you don't use assumptions based on people's jobs. 

9 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

It's how insurance works, priced on the basis of risk.

But when a claim is made the insurance company will look at the facts not assume a claim or responsibility based on  assumptions. 

HOLA4420
1 hour ago, Insane said:

If a crime has been committed you find out the facts you don't use assumptions based on people's jobs. 

But when a claim is made the insurance company will look at the facts not assume a claim or responsibility based on  assumptions. 

Why are you arguing a completely different point?

All criminals are criminals.... Yeah, I know....

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Even if the Surgeon was lying about not being able to pay or contact the Landlord and was withholding rent to spend on flat screen TVs and takeaways, the Landlord would still be the one in the wrong in this situation. 

But, as others have said; I tend to believe the man who isn't the one with a saw in his hand, actively committing hate crimes while threatening to kill his tenant.

The Landlord has been arrested, and rightly so. Hopefully serves some time. And if I were the tenant, I'd pay him not a penny more in rent and simply move out at the end of the contract.