House Price Crash Forum

Inflation rate (RPI) for 2024 Q2

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
41 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Your estimate of where UK inflation will be in 2024 Q2?

I would expect CPI to fall to something like 5-6% later this year, and be around 5% at that point.

You have asked for RPI, which I'd expect to be a little higher at 6-7%.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Between 1 and 25%. 🙂

I love to look back at the incorrect forecasts made on this site and by the BOE.

I'm going to make a guess of 20%. Hyperinflation is about to begin!!!

Inflation expectations are now becoming embedded, people are beginning to realise that they need to quickly dispose of their fiat currency as it's becoming more and more worthless by the day.

No level of interest rates is going to put an end to this inflation. The higher rates go and people see it's not working, they will panic leading to higher levels of inflation. 

This time next year we will have started on the slippery slope to hyperinflation with rates of 20% leading to 50% by the end of 2024.

HOLA448

If the BOE will continue similar low interest rate policies the UK inflation will still be above 10%. And it is in case of the stable pound exchange rate and oil price trending at the current level. If pound weakens or oil price shoot up the inflation will jump to 15% or above.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
3 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Any chance of neg?

There's always a CHANCE but it's a very small one.

Only 1 negative RPI year in the last 40 or more and no CPI negatives I believe.

But if the entire banking system collapsed and wasn't bailed out, then yes you'd see steep deflation due to the debt destruction a la the 1920s.  But I wouldn't bet on that.

HOLA4413
5 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Your estimate of where UK inflation will be in 2024 Q2?

Just had a search and seeing everything between 0.9 and 17 for this time next year.

5.6% for CPI.

I think inflation will get down to 5-6% fairly easily this year just due to gas prices. But I can't see much hope to get back to 2% until the BoE get tougher

Edited by henry the king

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I am predicting a RPI inflation rate by end of second quarter 2024 of between 20% to 25%.

Hopefully no more.

By this time the BOE will have to take inflation seriously and the base rate will be rising fast. This is when we will see a house price crash/correction for sure.

HOLA4416
56 minutes ago, Flat Bear said:

I am predicting a RPI inflation rate by end of second quarter 2024 of between 20% to 25%.

Hopefully no more.

By this time the BOE will have to take inflation seriously and the base rate will be rising fast. This is when we will see a house price crash/correction for sure.

If we get a deflationary event, and then they helicopter money on a covid esq scale then its possible, but until that time inflation is falling from its highs, as it is in the rest of the world.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

No idea.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/04/22/federal-reserve-ecb-bank-of-england-inflation/

"The sad thing is there is no reason to be here. If policymakers had started raising interest rates earlier we wouldn't be in this world of second best where there is no good policy action.

“Economists tell you once you're no longer in the world of first best policy, then every action you take has consequences.”

Of course it raises the question WHY were central banks so slow to react.

The answer is that simple isn't it. It's the precious. It's the house prices.

yes-lawd.gif 

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

For Q2 2024, a lot will depend on energy prices and the outcome of the Russia-Ukraine war. 

I suspect we will be below 10% in headline terms but still significantly higher than the 2% rate. A shot in the dark I would say between 4% to 6%.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
4 hours ago, Si1 said:

No idea.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/04/22/federal-reserve-ecb-bank-of-england-inflation/

"The sad thing is there is no reason to be here. If policymakers had started raising interest rates earlier we wouldn't be in this world of second best where there is no good policy action.

“Economists tell you once you're no longer in the world of first best policy, then every action you take has consequences.”

yes-lawd.gif 

Common sense tells you: don't go to war with your principal energy supplier!

HOLA4425
4 hours ago, Si1 said:

No idea.

yes-lawd.gif 

Wed have had epic inflation no matter what, due to the helicopter money thats was dropped during covid.