House Price Crash Forum

Telegraph: Landlords abandon buy-to-let in favour of savings accounts

Smith

HOLA441

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/uk/landlords-abandon-property-investment-improved-savings-rates/

Where there's an expectation of rising prices, it makes sense to accept a return somewhat below the savings rate, because you'll also hopefully be getting capital appreciation. But in a falling market, being a landlord is a significant amount of hassle and risk compared to a savings account.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
21 minutes ago, Smith said:

We keep being told there's a huge shortage of housing, although strangely demand at the insane inflated prices seems to have dried up along with the cheap credit.

Only one way to sell.  How much can they save after paying all that CGT?

HOLA446
HOLA447
1 hour ago, Smith said:

We keep being told there's a huge shortage of housing, although strangely demand seems to have dried up along with the cheap credit.

Funny eh? It's now a shortage of buyers and money supply. It's a hard life. /sigh

HOLA448
1 hour ago, Smith said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/uk/landlords-abandon-property-investment-improved-savings-rates/

Where there's an expectation of rising prices, it makes sense to accept a return somewhat below the savings rate, because you'll also hopefully be getting capital appreciation. But in a falling market, being a landlord is a significant amount of hassle and risk compared to a savings account.

She owns another five properties with no mortgages that she is keeping for now because she has good tenants.

I wonder for how much longer? :)

HOLA449
2 hours ago, rantnrave said:

My savings account has never rung me at 8pm on Friday with a broken boiler...

My savings account has never failed to pay me and I have never had to take legal action to change away from a bad account.

Edited by fellow

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Growing numbers of investors are ditching their buy-to-let properties for savings bonds.

Years of rock-bottom interest rates drove a boom in the buy-to-let sector as it was near impossible for savers to get a decent return by leaving their money in the bank. But this is now changing.

The article's author completely misses the real point.  The vast majority of BTLers were not investing their own money. They bought their houses with other people's money, borrowed at rock-bottom interest rates, on IO mortgages (not available to owner-occupiers) with the benefit of tax relief on the mortgage interest (not available to owner-occupiers).  The savers who originally deposited those funds were meanwhile being robbed blind.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Someone is trying to offload hundreds of flats and hmo's in Weston-Super-Mare. Right move is flooded with them.

Can't see anyone wanting them unless they're giving them away.

I expect the current owner will still pocket a few quid.

Much better to get your 3% from the bank if you have capital 

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
On 27/01/2023 at 18:44, rantnrave said:

I've never had to pay a fine for failing to get a tax return on my savings account in on time...

As long as it's an ISA ;).

All our ISAs are now locked into fixed rates at an average of 4.32% tax free for between 3 & 5 years. Worth 5.4% to a basic rate tax payer, or 7.2% to a higher rate tax payer. Compare that to current BTL yields :D.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
On 1/27/2023 at 4:00 PM, msi said:

....and who will they sell to?

Good question. If I was an FTB looking for a place to buy would I really be interested in the decrepit fraction of a badly converted house? Renters will live in substandard accommodation to get out of the rain but they will not buy this rubbish. Short of give away prices, nor will other BTLs 

HOLA4425