Turkish Lira collapses, markets closed

HOLA441
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
10 hours ago, markyh said:

Yeah but without electricity you cant get cash from an ATM or use cash in a Supermarket in a modern city either.  Pretty much everything is screwed.  you can spend with Bitcoin if both parties use mobile phone apps and a data signal. 

Gold is better! I'm a metal head!

HOLA443
8 hours ago, shlomo said:

Putin expresses his alpha behavior by invading countries, BJ displays it by popping women, we are lot safer as BJ as leader

Lock-up-your-daughters.jpg 

BJ not exactly the Iron Maiden...but still lock up your daughters...

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA444
1 hour ago, msi said:

I married one, how many VeTerEnS bEfoRe ImMiGraNtS you helped?

?

explain yourself before the elders of the internet, I mean HPC 

HOLA445
8 hours ago, anonguest said:

Property will presumably get cheap for non-Turkish buyers?

Never been there though. So no idea what the place is like. Are there ANY parts of the country worth living in?

Turkey is great, I visit often, I was in Istanbul last month.

I could enjoy living in Kusadasi, 

HOLA446
20 hours ago, markyh said:

Yeah but without electricity you cant get cash from an ATM or use cash in a Supermarket in a modern city either.  Pretty much everything is screwed.  you can spend with Bitcoin if both parties use mobile phone apps and a data signal. 

Ah, those magic phone masts and internet backbone routers that don't require power?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
On 18/12/2021 at 11:42, markyh said:

The mobile phone antennae have about 1 hour of backup.  Anyhow can you buy bread with bitcoin?

HOLA4410

The economic experiemnt seems to be going txxt's up interesting to see some of the comments of uk expats living out there I have considered this as a winter bolthole renting for 6 mths to see if I like it before buying but will have to see if the economy continues to implode scary stuff if millions forced to move to Europe to find work and many will head to Germany and UK.

Next week will be interesting to see how the Lira fairs, imagineif this happened to the pound in a few years time?  image.png.a43709b15d5879a5a833cd6c22a435ba.png

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
On 18/12/2021 at 22:15, Confusion of VIs said:

They are already refugees, what happens if Turkey says we cannot afford to support 4m refugees and passes them on to Europe.

An interesting article with nice graphics showing the huge efforts the EU is now going to to keep refugees out

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/fortress-europe-borders-wall-fence-controls-eu-countries-migrants-crisis/

HOLA4413
19 hours ago, kzb said:

The mobile phone antennae have about 1 hour of backup.  Anyhow can you buy bread with bitcoin?

The bread would be stale by the time the transaction cleared.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
7 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

The bread would be stale by the time the transaction cleared.

Sounds like there would be no internet by the time it cleared either, so the shopkeeper wouldn't know if it had cleared or not.  So I bet you wouldn't get your bread.

That report on what happened in the Lancaster power outage was very instructive.  No shop sales, no fuel, no trains, no news on what was happening, no phone, no internet, no traffic lights.

HOLA4417
5 minutes ago, kzb said:

Sounds like there would be no internet by the time it cleared either, so the shopkeeper wouldn't know if it had cleared or not.  So I bet you wouldn't get your bread.

That report on what happened in the Lancaster power outage was very instructive.  No shop sales, no fuel, no trains, no news on what was happening, no phone, no internet, no traffic lights.

So you couldn`t walk into a shop with a tenner and buy something?

HOLA4418
6 minutes ago, kzb said:

Gold and silver are key then.

I think I need some smaller coins though, I think my smallest denomination is now about £400.

HOLA4419
14 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

So you couldn`t walk into a shop with a tenner and buy something?

The tills stopped working.

Last year in Asda one day all the tills went down.  You couldn't pay with cash.  I left my trolley and walked out.

HOLA4420
14 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I think I need some smaller coins though, I think my smallest denomination is now about £400.

I know I said "shopkeeper", but the reality is there are few traditional corner shops left.  The stock they carry is negligible when a whole town is after it.  You couldn't pay with gold in Asda could you.  Actually you wouldn't even be allowed in Asda due to safety and security considerations.

HOLA4421
19 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

2 minutes ago, kzb said:

I know I said "shopkeeper", but the reality is there are few traditional corner shops left.  The stock they carry is negligible when a whole town is after it.  You couldn't pay with gold in Asda could you.  Actually you wouldn't even be allowed in Asda due to safety and security considerations.

Coke and Hookers only then!!!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
5 hours ago, fellow said:

Why? It's devastating for the economy.

If a currency collapses then assets priced in that currency rise - shares, houses, goats etc.

The absolute worst place to be is in cash.

Of course the best way if you actually know it will happen is to purchase something priced in USD before it happens. Then you convert back and purchase collapsed currency priced assets later on. Easier said than done of course.

Edited by captainb

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
3 hours ago, dances with sheeple said:

I see, the tin under the counter shops would still sell to you though?

I don't know.  I'm assuming, and I think so is ML, that an independent shop would be able to operate by candlelight, selling for cash.  I might be wrong, there could be security and safety concerns which negate their insurance.