House Price Crash Forum

Covid - is there trouble ahead? New mutation and travel bans.

HOLA441
5 hours ago, Oliver Sutton said:

People who survived the war and the blitz often described it as the best time of their lives.

Although people were dying around them they had a common purpose, camaraderie, and a community spirit.

The same thing may well have happened to you and you may yearn for those feelings again.

Perhaps that would explain why you are so desperate to portray Omicron as much worse than it is.

Really?

https://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/articles/wartime-london-a-criminal-s-paradise/

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

The study of epidemic waves has been researched by both medical scientists and statisticians and most epidemiologists seem to have a keen interest in the disciplines of biology and mathematics it seems.

I am very suprised there has not been more research in the area though.

In an established global viral epidemic such as Covid there is just so many variables to account for and probably regional mini wave pattens. Although there is a distinct global patten looking on worldometer.

I suppose it would be much simpler to work out the wave patterns on the stock markets where there would be personal gain involved.

So this particular wave could suddenly change quickly only to come back in maybe a years time. Maybe evolution at work? Not in the virus interest to infect everyone in one wave. I'm only surmising so don't shoot me down.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Just now, Jolly Roger said:

Why are the government scared of Omicron again?

Because an exponential curve told them to be. Plus it came at the perfect time to promote boosters, which by a wonderful stroke of luck provide whopping protection against Omicron, while the safe and effective vaccines individually are now failing.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Anyway, on a more serious note. In light of all this hysteria, why are we STILL stuck with basically the same vaccines from near the start of this pandemic? Why haven't lots of other ones been approved, that might work better than focusing on one protein out of the 29 or so in SARS-COV-2?

Had we gone that way from the beginning, Omicron might never have been able to gain a foothold.

Not sure this is looking like a win for mRNA technology, if people keep having to "boost" every 3-6 months.

HOLA4411
1 minute ago, FallingAwake said:

Anyway, on a more serious note. In light of all this hysteria, why are we STILL stuck with basically the same vaccines from near the start of this pandemic? Why haven't lots of other ones been approved, that might work better than focusing on one protein out of the 29 or so in SARS-COV-2?

Had we gone that way from the beginning, Omicron might never have been able to gain a foothold.

Not sure this is looking like a win for mRNA technology, if people keep having to "boost" every 3-6 months.

I am of the opinion that a species that needs a booster vaccination every 3-6 months is not viable.

HOLA4412
2 minutes ago, FallingAwake said:

Also, all this talk of 2 jabs being no good, what if I’d only gotten around to jab 2 a couple of weeks ago?Presumably it would offer just as much protection right now as taking a booster as the vax being used is attuned to the original protein spike?

HOLA4413
5 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I am of the opinion that a species that needs a booster vaccination every 3-6 months is not viable.

The species doesn't 'need' a booster vaccination. Nor does it need shoes, mathematics. or politicians :)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Flat Bear said:

So, if the number is accurate, we will see around 25,000 by next Sunday. Thats got to be level 5 or 6 then by the next Sunday there will be 200,000 level 7? level 8? then by the next Sunday (2nd January) 1,600,000  level 10 to 12? and by the next Sunday 12,800,000 level ??? and the next week everyone gets it unless there is a sudden reduction in the wave.

I make it 65 million in 20 days. Ie everyone.  Whatever, the numbers are going to get real big, real fast, it'll rocket up all over the world now.

So we'll know we'll before Christmas day whether to actually get draconian.  The current restrictions are trivial, they just seem really bad to people unused to being told no.

I find it fascinating how determined some posters are to declare Omicron a non event.

a) nobody knows yet, why not be cautious for a while & ease if it doesn't convert to substantial hospitalisation & death.

b) millions of ill people will impair all walks of life, mortality isn't needed to precipitate a crisis

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Hang on, the fundamental problem with new variants is it  renders the existing old vaccine batches worthless, hence they were confident they could alter vaccines to keep up but surely there's a lag between that.

So why on earth is a third dose of a now redundant vaccine going to help?

Edited by Casual-observer

HOLA4418
6 minutes ago, hotblack42 said:

I make it 65 million in 20 days. Ie everyone. 

So why overload the booster program with 18+ up. Surely you need to target those most vulnerable right now because if you don’t get boosted in the next 2 weeks then it won’t help you.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
4 minutes ago, Casual-observer said:

Hang on, the fundamental problem with new variants is it  renders the existing old vaccine batches worthless, hence they were confident they could alter vaccines to keep up but surely there's a lag between that.

So why on earth is a third dose of a now redundant vaccine going to help?

Indeed, lots of things are setting my BS detector off.

HOLA4421

I can see covid eventually taking the place of how flu used to be regarded. Killing tens of thousands of old and vulnerable every year, but mostly little remarked upon unless there was a Spanish flu like pandemic. They will be able to offer winter jabs like they do with the flu. But surely desruptive and costly measures like lock downs and isolation will not be sustainable. And won't covid just continue to mutate, just as flu does to evade vaccines and natural immunity, making wiping it out impossible?

HOLA4422
27 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Especially as there will be enormous evolutionary pressures on the virus, leading to further mutations, and further vaccine escape.

I am of the opinion that a government that needs a booster vaccination every 3-6 months is not viable.

HOLA4423
On 26/11/2021 at 15:37, Flat Bear said:

Yes, I think this is quite obvious, but we do not seem to have enough "experts" telling us this.

Ideally get double Jabbed and then catch it, is probably the best. This is what has happened to me, although I found it worse than most other people I know.

I have been contacted to get a "booster". What's the point? 

As you say, I will have a much better protection than those who have not been naturally infected especially against variants.

Information is sketchy but officially only 10 million people have caught covid in the UK. It is estimated that only 1 in 4 cases are officially reported so around 60% of people have so far had natural infection. At around 50,000 people officially catching covid daily that would be around 200,000 actual it will take around 5 months at the same rate for nearly everyone to be exposed.

There has not been enough research done on natural infection and how it affects our immune system and how this handles re-infections and variants. There is too much vested interest in the vaccines.                               

What does that actually mean? Jeeeeez! 

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
2 hours ago, Flat Bear said:

Yes, this is the most frightening thing. The "experts agree"

If we are correct and there will be a massive wave in a matter of weeks or a couple of months at most and there is just a few hundred people in the UK who actually die of this varient you and your mates (the ones that you chose to follow) are going to look like complete plonkers. You realize this right? You will be totally discredited.

Exactly the same, double Jab AZ and caught the Delta strain (i guess it was Delta) Did not inform Government etc so I am an unknown statistic like the majority I would have thought.

And I will not be getting any boosters without a lot of real evidence to say it is not only safe but neccessary.

You come across as the most emotional on this thread. You fail to come up with any real evidence for your assumptions.

What exactly is your scientific background? I know a few "research scientists" but they are reluctant to express any opinion until proper clinical trials have taken place and you definately are not one of those.

There still has not been a single death attributed to this strain of this virus. The virus is likely to go into a wave sequence which is likely to be much bigger but last for a shorter length of time. So there will be a sudden reduction in cases which will bewilder the "scientists" again, but it should not do as this is the nature of viral pandemics

Something I had thought for some time

Great minds.... as they say

I've included links to some experts in the field. I've made the point time and again we lack evidence. The WHOLE BLOODY POINT IS WE DON'T HAVE THE DATA TO DRAW CONCLUSIONS. 

I will not be posting on this thread again. So please don't bother replying. I don't have to put up with this sewer of rudeness. 

Actually, I've noticed this vile tone on HPC a good deal of late. I'm signing out for good. Bye. 

Edited by gruffydd