House Price Crash Forum

What/who will collapse first in 2018

HOLA441

Totally getting offtopic but can someone explain Just Eat to me? I am genuineley stuck as to what it is for. Their website is not very explanatory just wants you to start ordering things. 

I typed in my postcode and it showed me local restaurants - I am supposed to order from its menu then tick a box if I want it delivered. How is that different from just searching Google for local restaurants then going to the restaurant website and ordering etc?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
3 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Totally getting offtopic but can someone explain Just Eat to me? I am genuineley stuck as to what it is for. Their website is not very explanatory just wants you to start ordering things. 

I typed in my postcode and it showed me local restaurants - I am supposed to order from its menu then tick a box if I want it delivered. How is that different from just searching Google for local restaurants then going to the restaurant website and ordering etc?

They're all in the one place. Same as any of the other online sites for other shite.

HOLA443
3 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Any order paid through Just-Eat or ordered for collection through Jut-Eat mean they get 14 percent comission from the restaurant/take-away

HOLA444
On 09/01/2018 at 9:27 PM, Calcutta said:

I couldn't f'ing believe it when I was looking thru the FTSE 100 and found Justeat on there. 

The number of fat, disgusting, surplus humans this country contains must be truly sickening. Need a ******ing good war to wipe a lot of these ***** out.

LOL. Ees true. Even most young people seem to be somewhere between porky and obese nowadays. If you're over 40 and not fat you're something of a freak. Maybe even over 30.  

HOLA445
2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

LOL. Ees true. Even most young people seem to be somewhere between porky and obese nowadays. If you're over 40 and not fat you're something of a freak. Maybe even over 30.  

downtown las vegas - people over 300lbs eat free in fat burger - i wonder how many of its patrons can fit in the burger joint.

HOLA446
2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I'm a freak all right.  I can't go near the NHS without them assuming I have diabetes!

Edited by Fence

HOLA447
13 hours ago, Fence said:

So I come down off me hill for a weekend hangabout in Bristol.  Wide eyed, I looked at all the shops (alas the wife did more) like the peasant I am and thus did I come across a lycra clad and sweaty cyclist with a big box on his back labelled "Kangaroo" or summing outside summing called "Four Buys" or summing.  Get this, he was going to go in, buy a burger, stick it in his box, and sweat his way to someone's house where upon said person was going to eat the presumably tepid and congealed mess.  The world has gone absolutely mad and has a long way to fall.

....because the only work now that matters is paid work.....that is the plan.....work all week for money and pay others working for money to do things for money that you have earned, to do it for you....Do not DIY.......Do not work unless being paid, the only valued work now is paid work......but of course we all know it is not.;)

HOLA448
HOLA449

If I'm allowed one wish - the BBC, or the Today programme if I had to choose.  Mouthpiece of the VIs. 

A typical day in the studio:

. Report summary from the higher education lobby read out unchallenged saying overseas students generate £x for the economy and should be excluded from the immigration limits.  Quelle surprise!  No comment on report provenance.

. Mayor of London turns up with his own report comissioned from a team of "independent" and "expert' people (must be true 'cause he said it enough times) saying his anti Brexit stance was right.  Money well spent.  Quelle surprise!  Again, no comment on the report provenance.

. Government might do something about food packaging in 25 years time.  Apparently that's their bright idea to pull in the obviously gullible younger vote.  Retail industry bod, when asks, says they looked at better packaging but costs more and can't print such nice things on it.  Comment goes unchallenged.  Quelle surprise!

. And on we go.  A serial......

PS.  I can write you any report you need, just tell me what you want.  The chosen assumptions will do the rest.  After all, who ever looks at assumptions.  Just don't call it a self serving press release else even the BBC might say no.

Edited by Fence

HOLA4410

M&S a strange one......bit like church, the footfall decreases as their core customers die, the USP was all British made, now they are the same as other places just that bit more expensive, and most retailers worth their salt will accept returns, exchanges and refunds.......QVC is competition for them I would think.

The food concept was original in its day.....now what with more take aways, other companies that offer quality ready meals all done, just heat....again against the rest of the market they still are more expensive, less disposable incomes for more people will only mean people will shop around, try new things and do more for themselves.....;)

HOLA4411
8 minutes ago, winkie said:

USP was all British made

Yep.  Did some work for one of their UK suppliers in the 1980s.  M&S were all over them like a rash.  About the only thing that scared them.  Good job.  Alas, M&S is a case study in the dangers of arrogance - "only the paranoic survive".

Edited by Fence

HOLA4412

Card Factory's run out of steam.

CF started as a Huddersfield (It think) market stall selling cheap cards.

Got some PE finance involved, scaled up massively.

Took on loads + loads of shops on cheap initial rents.

Took advantage of stronger Pound to buy in cheaper imports.

Floated in 2014.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2610203/Card-Factory-float-London-Stock-Exchange-May.html

'Private equity-backed Card Factory is the latest firm to join a long list of High Street names looking to tap into the appetite for stock market floats.'

Run whne you see PE + float i nthe same paragraph.

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Fast foward all of 3 years.

Pounds weak, so imported cards more expensive.

Rents have come off the cheap intro offer, so paying full whack.

Bang bang bang.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
1 hour ago, Fence said:

If I'm allowed one wish - the BBC, or the Today programme if I had to choose.  Mouthpiece of the VIs. 

OMG, as if by co-incidence, this report has just come across my desk.

Full version follows:   

Reporting At The BBC

1.  MANAGEMENT SUMMARY

1.1 Independent and expert analysis says BBC reporting is shut and is likely to remain so.

2.  DETAILED ANALYSIS

2.1  Assumptions

2.1.1 This report is based on independent and expert analysis.

2.1.2 BBC reporting is shut.

2.1.3 BBC reporting will remain shut.

2.2  Core Analysis

2.2.1 BBC reporting must be shut.

2.3  Sensitivity Analysis

2.3.1 BBC reporting highly likely to remain shut.

2.4  Conclusions

2.4.1 BBC reporting is and will almost certainly remain shut.

3.  NEXT STEPS

3.1 Say BBC reporting is shut.

Brought to you by the independent think tank "BBC Reporting is Shut", a registered charity.

Edited by Fence

HOLA4415
2 hours ago, Fence said:

. Report summary from the higher education lobby read out unchallenged saying overseas students generate £x for the economy and should be excluded from the immigration limits.  Quelle surprise!  No comment on report provenance.

. Mayor of London turns up with his own report comissioned from a team of "independent" and "expert' people (must be true 'cause he said it enough times) saying his anti Brexit stance was right.  Money well spent.  Quelle surprise!  Again, no comment on the report provenance.

. Government might do something about food packaging in 25 years time.  Apparently that's their bright idea to pull in the obviously gullible younger vote.  Retail industry bod, when asks, says they looked at better packaging but costs more and can't print such nice things on it.  Comment goes unchallenged.  Quelle surprise!

PS.  I can write you any report you need, just tell me what you want.  The chosen assumptions will do the rest.  After all, who ever looks at assumptions.  Just don't call it a self serving press release else even the BBC might say no.

That's why I read the Guido Fawkes site - https://order-order.com/2018/01/11/khans-independent-brexit-study-written-leave-bashing-corbynistas/

For all the background to stories and links between people that the MSM don't want you to know, or can't be bothered to find out for themselves.

On the subject of M&S, I think they are suffering from a double pronged attack of other supermarkets selling things just as good, and the decline of the traditional High Street where most of the M&S stores are located. I know this Christmas I mainly shopped in Sainsbury's because the parking is free, the store large, and I knew I could get everything I wanted. Mind you, I'm not sure I see Sainsbury's logic in taking over Argos - as their results have proved.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
2 hours ago, onlooker said:

I know this Christmas I mainly shopped in Sainsbury's because the parking is free, the store large, and I knew I could get everything I wanted. Mind you, I'm not sure I see Sainsbury's logic in taking over Argos - as their results have proved.

I've never bothered with Argos as their stores are invariably in centres of towns where you have to fight through the traffic then pay through the nose to park. Also you have to queue up twice once to pay and again to collect.

Just before xmas though I noticed local Sainos had now sprouted an Argos. Buy online and collect at Sainsbury, suddenly I am an Argos shopper and spent 50 quid.  So thumbs up from me so far.

Funny I always wondered if Amazon would buy Argos but I was wrong obviously.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Pure Gym seem to be expanding quite rapidly right now; 4 in Aberdeen alone. Maybe not a collapse in 2018 but maybe one to watch because I doubt their expansion is sustainable long-term once rents start to increase etc.

I'm a member and go several times a week and I like it as a gym because I can visit several different branches if I'm working in another city and their membership is a rolling monthly payment rather than an annual subscription. 

HOLA4420
On 05/01/2018 at 9:59 AM, Houdini said:

I discovered this week that Fat Face now has over 200 shops including a lot of places that are strange choices - Durhamborn will know what I mean when I  say Barnard Castle....

As a resident of that particular baliwick, I can confirm that shop is a weird one - devoid of customers and plenty of staff doing busywork whenever I go past, but suspect they got a deal on the rates to avoid yet another charity shop springing up. Picked up a jumper in the sale online and had it delivered to the store to save on postage - have found the quality of their clothing, and the consistency of their sizing to have gone markedly south in the last 18 months. Would no longer dream of paying full price for their stuff.

HOLA4421
13 hours ago, Fence said:

Yeah this is why I don't really listen to Today. The World at One isn't perhaps quite so bad with Mark Mardell but really of course they are all infected with the same disease: seeing it as the BBC's purpose to change the morals of the nation. 

HOLA4422
13 hours ago, spyguy said:

Card Factory's run out of steam.

CF started as a Huddersfield (It think) market stall selling cheap cards.

Got some PE finance involved, scaled up massively.

Took on loads + loads of shops on cheap initial rents.

Took advantage of stronger Pound to buy in cheaper imports.

Floated in 2014.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2610203/Card-Factory-float-London-Stock-Exchange-May.html

'Private equity-backed Card Factory is the latest firm to join a long list of High Street names looking to tap into the appetite for stock market floats.'

Run whne you see PE + float i nthe same paragraph.

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Fast foward all of 3 years.

Pounds weak, so imported cards more expensive.

Rents have come off the cheap intro offer, so paying full whack.

Bang bang bang.

Some in the city gave it a £4 price target at £3.20,screaming buy.They thought then a company selling cards should have a market cap of 4 x turnover.Decent company,but it was very over valued. Im not sure if they import all their cards or not.They keep banging on about vertical integration,so not sure if they import the card and print themselves.To be fair to them on rents,i doubt they need to worry there,every high street has voids everywhere,unless they have long leases after teaser rates?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
8 hours ago, durhamborn said:

Some in the city gave it a £4 price target at £3.20,screaming buy.They thought then a company selling cards should have a market cap of 4 x turnover.Decent company,but it was very over valued. Im not sure if they import all their cards or not.They keep banging on about vertical integration,so not sure if they import the card and print themselves.To be fair to them on rents,i doubt they need to worry there,every high street has voids everywhere,unless they have long leases after teaser rates?

My spidey sense says No.

My guess is that there will be an accounting scandal where theyve made a very simple Con.

Everything about CF smells of a pump and dump.