House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

What/who will collapse first in 2018

Christmas has come and gone, the shops looked busy, but the chatter on the street was of food banks, immigrants and being skint.

My wife spent a record stupid amount of money this year, I am considering divorce now due to the size of her credit card bill and stupidity.

Alas, I doubt her attempt to single handedly bail out the high street shops has been successful so I am wondering who will go first in 2018 ?:

Will it be a super market chain ?

Will it be a well known clothes retailer ?

An electronics giant ?

A bank ?

A house builder ?

A politician ?

A currency ?

A property bubble ?

A made up coinage style bubble ?

A count ?

A large BTLer ?

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

5 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Christmas has come and gone, the shops looked busy, but the chatter on the street was of food banks, immigrants and being skint.

My wife spent a record stupid amount of money this year, I am considering divorce now due to the size of her credit card bill and stupidity.

Alas, I doubt her attempt to single handedly bail out the high street shops has been successful so I am wondering who will go first in 2018 ?:

Will it be a super market chain ?

Will it be a well known clothes retailer ?

An electronics giant ?

A bank ?

A house builder ?

A politician ?

A currency ?

A property bubble ?

A made up coinage style bubble ?

A count ?

A large BTLer ?

In France or the UK

Surely most likely has to be a big high street retailer. The whole of xmas felt like "just going through the motions", apart from once or twice in a couple of genuinely busy shops (and even that was food.)

9 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Surely most likely has to be a big high street retailer. The whole of xmas felt like "just going through the motions", apart from once or twice in a couple of genuinely busy shops (and even that was food.)

Never went to any shops over Christmas.

Bought 1 thing on line.

All I know is everyone I spoke to was talking about how ridiculously expensive everything was.

Didnt have 1 pwopatee bull either !!!

Weren't there some rumours about Maplins before Xmas? Always seems empty to me, and they were the first store open on Boxing Day morning, as I walked my dog through town. Must be desperate for sales.

The supermarkets also must have profitability issues. Coop are opening 100 more stores so clearly they are up for a beggar my neighbour strategy. How stable is Waitrose?

23 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

All I know is everyone I spoke to was talking about how ridiculously expensive everything was.

Ehh. Picked up an LG 4K 55 incher for £530 next day delivered. Replaced a 6 year old TV, so the marginal cost isn't that bad.

1 minute ago, onlooker said:

Weren't there some rumours about Maplins before Xmas? Always seems empty to me, and they were the first store open on Boxing Day morning, as I walked my dog through town. Must be desperate for sales.

The supermarkets also must have profitability issues. Coop are opening 100 more stores so clearly they are up for a beggar my neighbour strategy. How stable is Waitrose?

Maplins is one of my favourite shop's to look around, but I never buy.

I reckon a lot of their kits and components are supplied better by online companies now.

Id go for debenhams too. It has high debt levels, expensive rent on town centre properties, inflation will cut into consumers discretionary spending, their brand is poorly positioned, no premium food sales to fall back on like M and S. However, Mike ashley has bought loads of its shares so their must be some potential value there. 

Trains.....how can they be sustained without government and public support?;)

Edit to say......sorry can't and won't live or work in a place can't afford to travel to since can't afford to live there.....all fine and dandy if can claim it as expenses.....thousands can't.

Edited by winkie

I'm afraid all town centre shops will be suffering in the coming year, if my town is typical. The local council is painting more double yellow lines, and selling residents full day parking permits for short term roadside parking, so I can see fewer people driving into town to shop. Nine times out of ten, I go to edge of town retail parks instead.

3 minutes ago, onlooker said:

I'm afraid all town centre shops will be suffering in the coming year, if my town is typical. The local council is painting more double yellow lines, and selling residents full day parking permits for short term roadside parking, so I can see fewer people driving into town to shop. Nine times out of ten, I go to edge of town retail parks instead.

Turn the shops into homes.....get rid of cash, get drones to drop packages at the boxes containing living units......do not travel, to not meet others face to face....live solitary, borrow lots, and spend everything you earn on stuff and regular rental subscriptions that will make you happy.....have no place to store it, pay monthly for storage for something that might come in handy one day.....;)

3 minutes ago, winkie said:

Turn the shops into homes.....get rid of cash, get drones to drop packages at the boxes containing living units......do not travel, to not meet others face to face....live solitary, borrow lots, and spend everything you earn on stuff and regular rental subscriptions that will make you happy.....have no place to store it, pay monthly for storage for something that might come in handy one day.....;)

divide and conquer