House Price Crash Forum

Migration watch on housing

HOLA441
29 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

When you get down to it what do we even need the efficiency and productivity for? We've had decades of that, once it got us out of Victorian conditions all it's really achieved is creating job insecurity and a generally more unpleasant country to live in. You could possibly argue that we'd fall badly without it since we'd be unable to compete with other countries and everyone's too tied together to say sod it to them, but that just illustrates the pointless arms race nature of it.

At any rate more people is the answer to nothing. There's obviously a lower limit somewhere where there aren't enough people to support more than the basics of living, but we're probably talking stone age village numbers there, we've past that point by hundreds or thousands of years. An awful lot of the stuff we apparently "need" we merely need in order to keep up with growing numbers, which is wasteful and tells us the ideal is reducing numbers.

We also benefit from the efforts of generations back to the Victorians that have through blood sweat and tears built the infrastructure we today enjoy. To enjoy those facilities in any other non European country ( US/ Aus for example) you have to be either rich or have exceptional working talent. Here you get handed hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of social capital immediately having zero connection to this country if you are a performing levitating yoda, car washer or big issue seller presumably because it is rather good for the BTL portfolio of the Metro elite left.

Edited by crashmonitor

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
58 minutes ago, Parkwell said:

One thing I'm curious about re: immigration. It's often cited as needed to fill vacant jobs in the economy. So after 15 years and however many millions of migrants - are we done yet?

Many years ago, a very wise person wrote a song about trying to 'fix' UK productivity/wealth creation/skill shortages  by importing loads of unskilled migrants:

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly;

I don't know why she swallowed a fly - perhaps she'll die!

There was an old lady who swallowed a spider;
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her!

She swallowed the spider to catch the fly;
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!

There was an old lady who swallowed a bird;
How absurd to swallow a bird!

She swallowed the bird to catch the spider;

There was an old lady who swallowed a cat;
Fancy that she swallowed a cat!

She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,

There was an old lady that swallowed a dog;
What a hog, to swallow a dog!

She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,

There was an old lady who swallowed a goat;
She just opened her throat and swallowed a goat!

She swallowed the goat to catch the dog,

There was an old lady who swallowed a cow;
I don't know how she swallowed a cow!

She swallowed the cow to catch the goat,
She swallowed the goat to catch the dog,

There was an old lady who swallowed a horse;

...She's dead, of course![1]

HOLA443
HOLA444
11 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Love the comparison with the song!

https://www.ft.com/content/a4ca7d3c-cab9-11e7-aa33-c63fdc9b8c6c

'Hammond Budget faces challenge of worst productivity woes in G7

Britain appears to be suffering problems far less pronounced elsewhere'

Could that be because we've took 'elsewhere's unproductive mouth breathers and are paying them ~30k + housing + free health + free education to work the tills at Tesco or hand car wash for 16h/w?

Its like waiting for a very very dim lightbulb to tun on FFS.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
3 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

+1

I went to Norwich and there I saw a petrol stations with an automatic car cleaning places.  In London they are often done by hand - subsidized by tax credits.

I was visiting a couple of old, just under 90, aunts in Derry a couple of months back. They were amazed when I told them that yiu would not see an automatic car wash in this part of London these days. I was quite surprised that I did not have to explain why, it was obvious to them.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, Blod said:

But it's racist to link pressure on housing with migration, innit.

Indeed..high immigration hasn't caused the housing crisis but we wouldn't have a housing crisis if we hadn't had the high immigration.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 10:31 PM, spyguy said:

Sigh.

Any migrant from outside of the EU should have a job paying 30k to be allowed to live i nth UK.

Any migrant with family needs 70k.

Thats all that needs doing.

Hopefully after Brexit this will be extended to all the spongers from the third world EU countries. 

Give them a free one-way ferry ticket to Calais. I'd happily see my taxes spent this way, rather than being robbed by EU parasites.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
11 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Cheap credit has been the dominant factor but crazy population increase, largely driven by immigration, hasn't helped in the slightest.

Though many migrants may either chose or be forced to live in swatty bedsits the few who purchase are used as a fig leaf to cover cheap credit, the real cause of HPI.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
9 minutes ago, Blod said:

Though many migrants may either chose or be forced to live in swatty bedsits the few who purchase are used as a fig leaf to cover cheap credit, the real cause of HPI.

You assume those sweaty bedsits just materialize from nowhere then? They don't have to be built or bought?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
On 17 November 2017 at 9:58 AM, Parkwell said:

One thing I'm curious about re: immigration. It's often cited as needed to fill vacant jobs in the economy. So after 15 years and however many millions of migrants - are we done yet?

In 2000 the national debt was negligible - now it's nearly £2 trillion. So despite this supposed benefit we are up to our ears in debt we can never pay off. 

Of course GDP goes up - but Iran has a higher GDP than Norway. Does that make Iran a better place?

Would London have such a massive housing crisis if it still had only 7 million people as in 2000 rather than the nearly 9 million it has now. And that's despite over 600,000 White Brits leaving the city according to the census. 

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4421
6 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

In 2000 the national debt was negligible - now it's nearly £2 trillion. So despite this supposed benefit we are up to our ears in debt we can never pay off. 

Of course GDP goes up - but Iran has a higher GDP than Norway. Does that make Iran a better place?

Would London have such a massive housing crisis if it still had only 7 million people as in 2000 rather than the nearly 9 million it has now. And that's despite over 600,000 White Brits leaving the city according to the census. 

Would London have so many 'vibrant' people if they were required to earn 30k and not draw any UK benefits, including free schooling and health??

HOLA4422

Tell this to people everyday, we're being taken for *****. Both 'sides' of the political divide are simply determined to screw us in different ways but to the same ends. Some will do it thru financial means, some will do it via mass immigration. Whilst we bicker over which method is worst for us they can continue to milk us dry.

Divide and conquer. And if anybody starts to question it simply shout 'muslim' and watch them tear into eachother again.

HOLA4423
On 11/17/2017 at 1:52 PM, Rare Bear said:

I was visiting a couple of old, just under 90, aunts in Derry a couple of months back. They were amazed when I told them that yiu would not see an automatic car wash in this part of London these days. I was quite surprised that I did not have to explain why, it was obvious to them.

I have an old car, I don't mind putting it through a automatic car wash, but I'd be less inclined if I had something nice and new - it would be hand wash only. Maybe people have better cars in London? They have the lions share of the property bubble. Makes sense that they deserve better cars. 

HOLA4424
7 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

I have often thought that

That is not how Tony Blair looked a the world, he wanted to be prime minister of a more important country - he didn't care about us.

HOLA4425

Sadly a question we are not allowed to ask.