HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
52 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

" A woman in her 20s was found dead in her home and an entire street was put on lockdown today after a suspected chemical incident in Oxford."

Putting aside the annoying use of melodramatic Americanisms in the reporting (e.g. 'lockdown').....why o why do the authorities seemingly resort to, pardon the poor taste pun here......'overkill' in their approach to such incidents?

I mean, even if you know you are dealing with a chemical based incident just what sort of chemicals could be so dangerous (and what sort of quantities needed?!) that the length of an entire street would be put at risk??!!

HOLA4412
5 minutes ago, anonguest said:

I mean, even if you know you are dealing with a chemical based incident just what sort of chemicals could be so dangerous (and what sort of quantities needed?!) that the length of an entire street would be put at risk??!!

Di-hydrogen monoxide regularly takes out whole streets, but it's fair to say you need quite a lot of it.

HOLA4413
26 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Di-hydrogen monoxide regularly takes out whole streets, but it's fair to say you need quite a lot of it.

Hah hah very droll.

But seriously....this seem to be standard practice now - mass evacuation for the smallest of things that, in all reasonableness, would pose no risk whatsoever to any other than th emost immediate neighbours.

For example, man armed with a hand grenade holed up inside a semi. Response? Evacuate an entire street (or even neighbourhood!).  OK, so the police and others need some space to operate unhindered, and may need to use of nearby properties to act as vantage points etc.  But often these evacuations extend to include people wayyyyy outside 'the line of possible fire' if you get my gist.

Something tells me it is more than just ars* covering, to prevent future litigation/people seeking damages for any harm (real of perceived) that may befall them, but a desire by the police etc to be out of the public eye when performing their operations (i.e no inconvenient witnesses to possiblly later on contradict their version of events) ??

Or am I straying into tin foil hat territory?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
7 minutes ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

Gas explosion = deadly chemical incident.  Great piece of hyperbole. 

Hazmat suits because woman may have had "access to chemicals".  FFS. 

Perhaps the landlord simply skipped the gas safety check?

Not much information on this, but it appears that there was no explosion, only the gas.

Initially all they have is 'chemical smell', and without knowledge of what it is, they have to assume dangerous.  As soon as they work out what it is, then they change the cordon.

Of course, it is always something only mildly poisonous, so the response is overkill.  Until it isn't, at which point a insufficient response will be over kill.

It is probably something like HCl.  Popular stuff at the moment, I understand.

HOLA4416

Great knowledge on here as always. The drugs lab possibility is not something I would have considered.

It does look like over-kill but, as has been said, it is until it isn't. If anything, things like this give a glimpse into how concerned the security forces are for a chemical attack - they must have briefed all the emergency services and hence we now get this over-reactions to even the smallest of things.

HOLA4417

Ideally you want people as far away as reasonably possible. You can't control what people do in their houses close to the site. What inevitably will happen is that if there is a commotion all the people will rush to the windows to see what's going on. So for example if there is a large secondary explosion there is a good chance that all the windows will be blown in in the surrounding area and the people watching showered with glass. If there are high rise buildings as well all the glass will shower onto the pavements and any crowds gathered below. That's one of the reasons why they clear the people a long way away.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
1 minute ago, BarnetBear said:

Well, I am even more perplexed now. How strange to be two similar incidents within a week. Someone has posted elsewhere that mixing bleach and toilet cleaner containing hydrochloric acid by accident might be the cause.

HOLA4422
5 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Great knowledge on here as always. The drugs lab possibility is not something I would have considered.

It does look like over-kill but, as has been said, it is until it isn't. If anything, things like this give a glimpse into how concerned the security forces are for a chemical attack - they must have briefed all the emergency services and hence we now get this over-reactions to even the smallest of things.

Very common now ,mainly used to turn what used to be waste into ££`s

Watch the video and you can see why people blow themselves up ....this vid is showing you how to do just that, evaporating butane in a confined space 

HOLA4423
5 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Probably a good opportunity to get a bit of practice in for a real chemical attack...

HOLA4424
8 hours ago, 200p said:

There was another death from chemical exposure in a car recently.. did we ever get to the bottom of that?

‘Fast and Furious’ chemical poison tragedy leaves popular young couple dead

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/568105/Chelmsford-chemical-deaths-Nikki-Willis-Tom-Putt-Essex-Ford-Fiesta-car

It was carbon monoxide in the end.

HOLA4425
17 minutes ago, long time lurking said:

Very common now ,mainly used to turn what used to be waste into ££`s

Very true.  it's a very dangerous process that often ends in a big explosion.  You might also be overcome by the butane if you were silly enough to do this in a confined area but I wonder if the two cases mentioned (Oxford and Dorset) are suicides using chemicals unknown.  The police may be withholding details to prevent "copycat" suicides attempts. 

Archived