House Price Crash Forum

The greatest thread of all...The BTL running for the exit thread

HOLA441
1 hour ago, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

Yeah they are nice houses, solid well built stock! The area is a bit depressed and I suspect it won't be natives living in the rooms 6 up!

2nd one could work for me if it weren't for the area... not too keen. Not too keen on the price either :)

And the cost of converting back from an HMO to a normal house. 

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

More BTL-ers running for the exit...here's a development of former offices turned into 40+ flats that went up for let at around £675/month apiece.

1 bedroom flat in NR1 £130k

Price range of available flats so far is £120k - £135k depending on how awkward the floorplan is. There isn't a lot of cupboard space in these and no mention of a parking space.

A couple of news articles about this complex:

Mould, debt and deposits not returned - what is happening at this Norwich block of flats?

Two firms at controversial Norwich flats are being chased for £110,000 in unpaid bills.

HOLA444
HOLA445
11 minutes ago, Maynardgravy said:

I feel really dirty after reading that thread. 

Especially the bit about keeping quiet about S24 when selling to new landlords who don't know about it:

"Actually I have come to the conclusion that we LL  who know all about S24 should keep our mouths SHUT!

The reason.

We need mug LL  ignorant of S24 to buy the properties we are selling up because of........................................S24.

If we try to tell them about S24 they might not buy!!

Then what!?

Let those ignorant mug LL  find out the hard way.

We PT's should use our knowledge  to mug these ignorant LL  off."

And I thought labelling them scum was a bit off.................................

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
On 10/20/2017 at 10:05 PM, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

Nice.Here's one of Leicester's finest trying to exit on a 5% gross yield.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48457893.html

' This impressive Portfolio comprises a combination of STUDENT LETS / HMO's & BLOCKS OF FLATS generating an Annual Revenue £182,280 and situated in the sought after LE2 postcode of Leicester .'

On 10/21/2017 at 11:08 AM, Ah-so said:

Definite mood change since I last checked in.

2 hours ago, Maynardgravy said:

I feel really dirty after reading that thread. 

x2

Edited by Sancho Panza

HOLA449
2 hours ago, Option5 said:

Especially the bit about keeping quiet about S24 when selling to new landlords who don't know about it:

"Actually I have come to the conclusion that we LL  who know all about S24 should keep our mouths SHUT!

The reason.

We need mug LL  ignorant of S24 to buy the properties we are selling up because of........................................S24.

Then what!?

And I thought labelling them scum was a bit off.................................

It really is like peeking inside the mind of a sociopath. I'm not saying that for effect.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
14 hours ago, Option5 said:

The reason.

Then what!?

Who wrote that? I can't find the post.

HOLA4414
13 hours ago, Sancho Panza said:

Nice.Here's one of Leicester's finest trying to exit on a 5% gross yield.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48457893.html

' This impressive Portfolio comprises a combination of STUDENT LETS / HMO's & BLOCKS OF FLATS generating an Annual Revenue £182,280 and situated in the sought after LE2 postcode of Leicester .'

Definite mood change since I last checked in.

x2

5% Gross, he will be lucky.

10% might get it shifted. He needs to either double the rents or half the price. 

HOLA4415
5 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

5% Gross, he will be lucky.

10% might get it shifted. He needs to either double the rents or half the price. 

Given the way the market is moving towards custom built and managed student accommodation a 10% return will still not be enough. 

HOLA4416

Indeed, anecdotally, a raft of available student properties in Durham at the moment, hugely overpriced for the local market and they could e lovely family homes again, but he student slumlords have pretty much pushed everyone else to the outskirts of the city. 

The university and their chosen developers are putting up bespoke units for the students... lots of housing about to become available.... but at what price?

21 minutes ago, Houdini said:

Given the way the market is moving towards custom built and managed student accommodation a 10% return will still not be enough. 

HOLA4417
22 hours ago, Option5 said:

The reason.

Then what!?

Quoting for posterity. 

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

It will be by Paul Barratt. Unremarkable statement for him to be honest. Some of the posters on Property Tribes understand that the game is up and there’s pretty much zero campaigning across the boards now, but even I know there’s a million things better to be doing than reading any of PB’s extended tripe.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
2 hours ago, Lavalas said:

It will be by Paul Barratt. Unremarkable statement for him to be honest. Some of the posters on Property Tribes understand that the game is up and there’s pretty much zero campaigning across the boards now, but even I know there’s a million things better to be doing than reading any of PB’s extended tripe.

Paul is quite a 'character'. IIRC he's been handed a temporary ban by the PovertyTribe moderators on at least one occasion. To be fair he's been much more realistic about the consequences of Section 24 and PRA SS13/16 from the outset than some of the other PT posters and the point that he's making is one that we've made repeatedly - a really canny portfolio leveraged landlord who felt that their bet was about to sour would just keep their mouth shut and start selling up.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
1 hour ago, Beary McBearface said:

Paul is quite a 'character'. IIRC he's been handed a temporary ban by the PovertyTribe moderators on at least one occasion. To be fair he's been much more realistic about the consequences of Section 24 and PRA SS13/16 from the outset than some of the other PT posters and the point that he's making is one that we've made repeatedly - a really canny portfolio leveraged landlord who felt that their bet was about to sour would just keep their mouth shut and start selling up.

Yeah, you're right actually. He is one of the more realistic ones. He doesn't give away specifics but he has openly stated that he's utterly stuffed by S24 and there's nothing he can do. I don't suppose it would take many guesses to work out why and it is this fact that probably leads to some of his more outlandish ideas.

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, Beary McBearface said:

a really canny portfolio leveraged landlord who felt that their bet was about to sour would just keep their mouth shut and start selling up.

i sold a car once that needed a new engine but did run so appeared to be working well .

hardly canny is it , fool looking for a bigger one.