House Price Crash Forum

Guardian: Buy to let: ‘We landlords are being vilified’

Clarky Cat

HOLA441
3 minutes ago, long time lurking said:

I have always said it the MSM have sold them a pup...it`s the oldest trick in the book give them enough rope they will manage the next part all by themselves 

I buy that. I'm also pretty thoroughly convinced that they are willing to print any old nonsense Fatty Wilson says because they hope that in the fullness of time he'll go spectacularly bankrupt and at that point they can get a really entertaining how the meaty fall angle on the story (OK, I know that should be how the mighty fall, but it's funnier my way).

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
12 minutes ago, Bland Unsight said:

I buy that. I'm also pretty thoroughly convinced that they are willing to print any old nonsense Fatty Wilson says because they hope that in the fullness of time he'll go spectacularly bankrupt and at that point they can get a really entertaining how the meaty fall angle on the story (OK, I know that should be how the mighty fall, but it's funnier my way).

All the media attention he gets is mocking, in my opinion, and yes, I'm sure they are waiting for him to explode.

HOLA443
1 minute ago, Bland Unsight said:

It`s a massive  reveres physiology blag if you ask me ..it all happenes to quickly ( mass special pleading puff pieces) and it seem`s to manifest itself in fits and bursts at the worst possible time from the BTL brigades prospective 

HOLA444

Bit too tin foil hatted.

There's no conspiracy, no puppet master.

Most journoes are lazy and greedy. BTL appeals to lazy greedy people. Esp. the people who work for the BBC.

Theyve all jumped on the wagon, with their storied about how being in the know and all that.

Look jounros are a dying breed. Like BTL. Both groups are dinosaurs, looking at pretty glowing thing hurtling to Earth.

HOLA445
3 hours ago, Nabby81 said:

Also the pension thing , so you have a few properties you can make money off to keep an income coming or sell for the capital gain when you want to retire .So the people renting who are priced out what pension do they have ? When they can't afford to buy and get to retirement with no income who is going to house them ? 

Yep, this is true for people on low incomes/family responsibilities that soak up the remaining income. it's a chicken that is going to come very much home to roost and the state should also get it in the neck for helping cause the out of control obsession with property.

For anyone else, they'll have a much better pension than the IO leveraged BTLetter if they've been as disgusted as I am with the whole shebang and thus made, erm, 'alternative arrangements' regarding deferring income.

HOLA446
2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Bit too tin foil hatted.

Most journoes are lazy and greedy. BTL appeals to lazy greedy people. Esp. the people who work for the BBC.

Theyve all jumped on the wagon, with their storied about how being in the know and all that.

Look jounros are a dying breed. Like BTL. Both groups are dinosaurs, looking at pretty glowing thing hurtling to Earth.

Could be .but not for a minute do i think these articles are seen by the jurnos writing them as being helpful to the BTL mugs ...just look at the comments on any of them its plain to see theres no sympathy whatsoever ..i have no doubt they are been given enough rope 

HOLA447
HOLA448
4 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Those comments are remarkable! The public view has truly turned against BTL.

Well they want pity then they appear in articles like this and show their figures and expect people to feel sorry for them ...2.4mil worth of property on a 34k salary 

HOLA449
3 hours ago, spyguy said:

Bit too tin foil hatted.

If it's click bait they are after then what better than the demise of the BTL scum sucking leeches? 2,000 + comments confirm this view. Time for another BTL bashing, comment generating, advert generating article..... I think so! :lol:

This is so good, I might open a bottle of 'old pulteney'. Fan f**king tastick!

Edited by XswampyX

HOLA4410
9 hours ago, Bland Unsight said:

FT video.... with Fergus in his pink shirt with embroidered name....

Media were quick to turn in 2009 on the Wilsons, for one moment at least, after many years of giving them positive coverage for their millions upon mililions and growing house collection.

A turn...   

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1227624/Mortgage-arrears-couple-rode-buy-let-boom-estimated-350-000.html

FW didn't seem so happy that piece downvalued the properties by (and I think it was) an exaggerated amount.

article-1227624-073594FC000005DC-954_468

Bit of human shield positioning pushback by FW, to say DM not thinking of the other owners who they are also downvaluing the market for with such numbers.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/property-tycoon-fergus-wilson-de-a91122/

Although then came the reflation.  FW going from 'not bad people, just humble folk' in a 2009 nervous times - then after reflation, letting everyone know his strong views about this and that - dead humble.

The Times
Fergus and Judith Wilson: An empire for sale
Britain's best-known buy-to-letters are retiring. Could Russians snap up their £180m portfolio?

Peter Conradi

For someone who could soon have more than £100m sloshing around in his bank account, Fergus Wilson appears to have remarkably little interest in his money. We are always getting letters to invest in this, that or the other, like buying a private jet, says Fergus, 61. But what do I want a private jet for? I never go anywhere.

..“We’re not that kind of folk,” he says. “We’re pretty basic people.” After a pause, Judith concedes that she might fancy a cruise —

...If the interest rate had gone up rather than down, it would have been a disaster, he says.

In the meantime, £100m or no £100m, they are struggling to contemplate life without their empire. We have very much enjoyed what we've been doing, Fergus says. It's been a labour of love. It's like having a child that's grown up. I shall miss it terribly.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/59091-the-wilsons-thread-merged/&do=findComment&comment=2141245

Yet even if media sharpens knives, what use is it, year after year, with BTLers still in great positions, and us going on about media turn.  

They need to go (BTLers).  Out.

8 hours ago, spyguy said:

Bit too tin foil hatted.

There are different journalists.  Different types of journalists with their own views, to appeal to different readership minds, in many different forms of news media.  

We have to sift through such things and make up our own minds.  Things change.  Journalists come and go.

Those with the warped view of reality are those who push the notion that "everyone believes all they read" (by journalists), and so not responsible for their own actions" (because some journalist did a puff-piene celebrating foreverHPI/BTL).  Where many others see the crazy prices, the BTL damage, the greed, the crazy debt levels - and form our own view, or take different sources. 

Anything embraced by HPI heads and they chose to act on, such as media reliease that "Average House to be worth £720,000 in 2040" - BTL chasers... that is no reason for renter-savers to carry it when the excuses come out on behalf of those who were HPI/BTL chasers at prices/risk/social damage others recoiled from.

Edited by Venger

HOLA4411

I just spent the last 20 minutes reading the most recent comments on that article. It made me laugh so much this moron ermwhat getting torn a new one by Bland unsight.

Amazing though the level of comments the article has received. Surely this PR disaster has to be the end of this 'tenant tax' press outreach approach? 

Loved reading people's reactions especially to the example where someone had a 650k plus mortgage on a flat in soho, and only makes 3 grand a year in profit... Great eye for a business idea, that guy. 

HOLA4412
8 hours ago, XswampyX said:

If it's click bait they are after then what better than the demise of the BTL scum sucking leeches? 2,000 + comments confirm this view. Time for another BTL bashing, comment generating, advert generating article..... I think so! :lol:

I might even turn off my ad-blocker to encourage more anti-BTL articles

HOLA4413
9 hours ago, XswampyX said:

Given the level of public response to the article you would think that the topic would be lead item on the BBC news etc day after day. Instead what you get is the endless tedious legal wrangling over Brexit or the pointless bore festival over whether Russian athletes you have never heard of took drugs that failed to help them win gold medals on the 2012 Olympics. Sadly, the fact that a large section of the UK population not only are unable to afford to buy a home but are also routinely relieved of much of their earnings by parasitic landlords just to put a roof over their heads, is apparently not deemed worthy of more than an occasional article in the mainstream press. If politicians, the media and the rest of the 'thought leaders' in the UK want to know why they are routinely despised by much of the population then they need to look no futher than the comments section of the Guardian article linked at start of this thread.

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

Given the level of public response to the article you would think that the topic would be lead item on the BBC news etc day after day. Instead what you get is the endless tedious legal wrangling over Brexit or the pointless bore festival over whether Russian athletes you have never heard of took drugs that failed to help them win gold medals on the 2012 Olympics. Sadly, the fact that a large section of the UK population not only are unable to afford to buy a home but are also routinely relieved of much of their earnings by parasitic landlords just to put a roof over their heads, is apparently not deemed worthy of more than an occasional article in the mainstream press. If politicians, the media and the rest of the 'thought leaders' in the UK want to know why they are routinely despised by much of the population then they need to look no futher than the comments section of the Guardian article linked at start of this thread.

Agreed.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
5 hours ago, hotairmail said:

Good post.Only the Guardian could think of only having upratings on comments. No one loses. LOL.

3 hours ago, long time lurking said:

Realy have not looked ...can`t have those snowflakes melting 

Bit of a problem with these arguments, which is that the FT has the same system, so (a) it's factually incorrect to assert that "only the Guardian could think of only having upratings on comments" and (b) the implication that the purpose of a recommend only system is to protect "snowflakes" from views they don't agree with would lead to the conclusion that FT comment section readers and contributors are "snowflakes" (and if you believe that you've clearly not read FT comments).

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
16 minutes ago, Bland Unsight said:

Some of the PovertyLater chaps are turning up now.

I had a chance to chat with David Price and Gareth Williams too. This must have been how David Frost felt when he got to interview Nixon. 

I got myself a little confused as the 118 poster is called Gareth Wilson but then I remembered once checking the Rent Smart Wales register for no Welsh landlord in particular and it turns out Gareth Williams might be well connected to that world ;) 

HOLA4419

Quote from comments: "Or as I call it, creating an investment portfolio I can pass onto my kids."

That's right baby boomers, you have bought up your kids so they can buy someone else a house / houses and to pay for someone else's kid's housing. The fruits of your manhood and all that says you are a worthy breeding partner.

No? then why aren't people having kids nowadays with birth rates down?

Your bloodline, staunched by the pen over your mighty sword.

Edited by Arpeggio

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing them present their arguments out in the open, embarrassing as it is. Very entertaining BU. 

My reaction when the portfolio landlord suggested FTBs are greedy for wanting to own a single home as it will prevent someone from renting...

Edited by Lavalas

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
1 hour ago, Grumpysod said:

5 . traffic wardens 

4. estate agents

3. tax collectors

2. debt collectors 

1. BTL landlords

The beauty of that list is 4, 3, and 2 are all going to be chasing 1 for some form of monies owed from here on in. Probably 5 as well given the DEBTjunkie champions won't even have enough cashflow to park the leased crappy white audi any more.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425