HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I'm speechless. I have no opinion. Cutting interest rates makes imports expensive. Raising them encourages inward investment. Where's the happy medium?

Edit to say: can we have a 'don't know' button for people like me, please?

Edited by Bossybabe
Don't know button.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
2 hours ago, winkie said:

Why does he always have a smile on his face when pronouncing bad news?;)

What bad news is that then?

There's no bad news for the wealthy existing owners of assets and no bad news for the debt junkies... these are obviously the only people he's interested in helping.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

He has done exactly what was asked of him; kept interest rates ludicrously low, got QE going again, and lent spurious weight to Osborne's pronouncements of economic Armageddon should we dare to vote Brexit.

He has done all of that whilst cooking up regular faux economic reasons for doing that whilst repeatedly changing his stance and appearing to be in favour of raising interest rates at some point in the distant future just often enough to stop people realising that this is the last thing he wants to do.

He is a good and faithful servant of the Brown, Greenspan, and Osborne school of asset bubbles and as they have been found out and dismissed so should he be.

HOLA4419

Basically he should have put interest rates up a little. Now the whole pound fiasco can be blamed on Brexit. To frighten people. Britain still has a good economy.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

He has done exactly what was asked of him; kept interest rates ludicrously low, got QE going again, and lent spurious weight to Osborne's pronouncements of economic Armageddon should we dare to vote Brexit.

He has done all of that whilst cooking up regular faux economic reasons for doing that whilst repeatedly changing his stance and appearing to be in favour of raising interest rates at some point in the distant future just often enough to stop people realising that this is the last thing he wants to do.

He is a good and faithful servant of the Brown, Greenspan, and Osborne school of asset bubbles and as they have been found out and dismissed so should he be.

This.

The spat with TM may be enough to finish him, or it may all just be a deliberate sideshow. My personal expectation is that after a bit of handbagging to make it appear that there is actually some level of oversight taking place, he'll be signed up for another term and given carte blanche access to CTRL+P.

HOLA4422
9 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

This.

The spat with TM may be enough to finish him, or it may all just be a deliberate sideshow. My personal expectation is that after a bit of handbagging to make it appear that there is actually some level of oversight taking place, he'll be signed up for another term and given carte blanche access to CTRL+P.

It'll certainly be another test of May. She might actually be the real deal in regards the short from corporatism, cronyism and globalism to a more transparent democracy. Getting rid of Carney would be one step in the right direction.

HOLA4423
1 minute ago, onlyme2 said:

It'll certainly be another test of May. She might actually be the real deal in regards the short from corporatism, cronyism and globalism to a more transparent democracy. Getting rid of Carney would be one step in the right direction.

If she turns out to be the real deal I will genuinely consider turning out to vote in future elections. I really want to Theresa, just give me reason... :P

HOLA4424

Since this is now in "on topic" it seems note worthy that he was quoted on R4 yesterday as saying the problems in the housing market are all about "supply, supply and supply".

in other words.. He seems to have recognised that throwing more debt and cheap money at the problem isn't the right solution.

HOLA4425

You cant sack Carney for being incompetent.  He has only one job in life. that is to rescue in secret his charges who make their living by selling loans to everyone and who, in times of stress, borrow to cover their overlending.

He therefore only does lending and borrowing.  And when he has infinite resources, he buys so the borrowers can get the cash they cant borrow anymore.