• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
12 hours ago, Si1 said:

How anybody that looks like that and hires a personal bodyguard for staff meetings could possibly be behind serious financial mismanagement...

?type=og-image

It ill behooves us, anonymous and pictureless posters to criticize someone on the basis of looks. Especially when it seems there are plenty of justified reasons fro criticism. 

HOLA443
2 minutes ago, bearishonhouses said:

It ill behooves us, anonymous and pictureless posters to criticize someone on the basis of looks. Especially when it seems there are plenty of justified reasons fro criticism. 

Haha. The criticism is on the basis of poor financial and personal management. The looks are merely a qualifying detail.

HOLA444
HOLA445
11 hours ago, wighty said:

What is the point going to university if you live at home?.

University is to learn technical skills which increase the amount of value you are able to generate.

For the pssup and shag side of it we now have the internet.

HOLA446
HOLA447
10 hours ago, bearishonhouses said:

It ill behooves us, anonymous and pictureless posters to criticize someone on the basis of looks

Why?!

How does the fact that a criticism is anonymous make any difference?  A criticism is a criticism!

I am curious as to your thought process as to how the relative merit/value/significance of a criticism can vary if the person making it is identifiable or not.

Edited by anonguest

HOLA448
11 hours ago, wighty said:

What is the point going to university if you live at home?.

I moved out and lived in halls in first year as that was meaningless year that doesn't count towards your final grade. It's also the year where most of the action/social happens.

I moved home in year 2 & 3 to save on £5.5k of rent per year, and also because a lot of people start staying in as low disposable income and realise they should get a decent grade as they're paying for uni! 

That was my logic when tuition fees were £3k per year, so I'm not surprised that more people would be considering living at home now fees are £9k per year. You also have mad cost of living, including increased rents, and you now have to pay back the loan into your 60s.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
On 11/08/2023 at 09:51, Si1 said:

Fair point

The big downside of university is arrested development.  Those 21 year olds need to know more to offset the fact they probably haven’t grown up much since 18.

HOLA4413
8 minutes ago, Will! said:

The big downside of university is arrested development.  Those 21 year olds need to know more to offset the fact they probably haven’t grown up much since 18.

Well, if they lived in skanky digs, did a part time job while studying and got a lot of freedom with different friends and partners that is a life experience in itself, and studying even a humanity (if it is taught knowingly and well which most of them aren't) can confer some wisdom that doesn't come from regular life. Witness boomer arguments on these fora that fail basic textual analysis. You can tell they left school at 15. It's broadly healthy to have a better abstractly educated population. But 3 years in uni may be quite a steep commitment to achieve that, as well as the financial cost.

HOLA4414
16 minutes ago, Will! said:

Starting work at what was 14 then 16 now 18 means got your foot in the door, learning in the work place, years towards pension allocation, less debt to pay back.......nobody ever has asked me what qualifications I had let alone asked for proof, more what work and life experience have had......what jobs have done, all employers have encouraged training and paid for training because they know they get the best from their own trained members of staff.....any good job interview can easily tell what will be a good value employee to any firm.....truth comes from the mouth.......chatgtp can write anything want to read......what you see and hear is what you get, easy to check facts out......invest in people.;)

Why would some people get others to pass their driving theory test or even sometimes the actual driving test?......that is not them doing the work or the exam.

HOLA4415
44 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Well, if they lived in skanky digs, did a part time job while studying and got a lot of freedom with different friends and partners that is a life experience in itself, and studying even a humanity (if it is taught knowingly and well which most of them aren't) can confer some wisdom that doesn't come from regular life. Witness boomer arguments on these fora that fail basic textual analysis. You can tell they left school at 15. It's broadly healthy to have a better abstractly educated population. But 3 years in uni may be quite a steep commitment to achieve that, as well as the financial cost.

It's not just the 3 years at Uni.

You've got 2 years A level, maybe a 1year resit.

Then a year out travelling.

Then maybe a few years trying to do 'something' in London ....  and failing.

Some people are hitting mid to late 20s before they are faced to consider what job they are realistically going to do. All tge while, ripening up compounding debt.

For women that is a disaster.

Even in late 80s majority were 16 at that stage.

Beyond 16, education is not a sure fire societal good.

Sure, education where you are working towards a skill n job is great. I hesitate using the vocational word. I'm happy for people to be pointed and work towards a general direction.

But the number of vague, directionless, pointless HE courses - and I'm not picking, there's loads, beyond the usual suspects - is a clusterfk for all parties bar people working in HE.

HOLA4416
On 8/10/2023 at 10:44 AM, Si1 said:

How anybody that looks like that and hires a personal bodyguard for staff meetings could possibly be behind serious financial mismanagement...

?type=og-image

Peole are running up £40k student debts for this rubbish? 

HOLA4417
3 hours ago, spyguy said:

It's not just the 3 years at Uni.

You've got 2 years A level, maybe a 1year resit.

Then a year out travelling.

Then maybe a few years trying to do 'something' in London ....  and failing.

Some people are hitting mid to late 20s before they are faced to consider what job they are realistically going to do. All tge while, ripening up compounding debt.

For women that is a disaster.

Even in late 80s majority were 16 at that stage.

Beyond 16, education is not a sure fire societal good.

Sure, education where you are working towards a skill n job is great. I hesitate using the vocational word. I'm happy for people to be pointed and work towards a general direction.

But the number of vague, directionless, pointless HE courses - and I'm not picking, there's loads, beyond the usual suspects - is a clusterfk for all parties bar people working in HE.

While everything you say is true, I wouldn’t romanticise leaving school at 16.

Today anyone who left at 16 is good only for admin and manual jobs.

I see a lot of “I did fine leaving at 16” in the over 55s. Well, things are different now: see their kids with no HE in their 20s with no prospects.

Perhaps now we are out of the EU there will be better prospects for those people. Maybe, maybe not. Easy to criticise the bloated and poor quality HE on offer, but what is a better solution?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
1 hour ago, bushblairandbrown said:

While everything you say is true, I wouldn’t romanticise leaving school at 16.

Today anyone who left at 16 is good only for admin and manual jobs.

I see a lot of “I did fine leaving at 16” in the over 55s. Well, things are different now: see their kids with no HE in their 20s with no prospects.

Perhaps now we are out of the EU there will be better prospects for those people. Maybe, maybe not. Easy to criticise the bloated and poor quality HE on offer, but what is a better solution?

In 10 years time lowest earners will be people with degrees.

The student loan repayment takes a fair chunk from take home.

Sure most highly paid will have degrees.

But there's a massive tail wholl have nothing to show but 10% SL levy.

HOLA4420
On 8/11/2023 at 8:02 AM, bearishonhouses said:

Spot on.

Always best to focus on behaviours rather than personalities / appearance.

E.g. having a security guard along.

HOLA4421
13 hours ago, spyguy said:

In 10 years time lowest earners will be people with degrees.

The student loan repayment takes a fair chunk from take home.

Sure most highly paid will have degrees.

But there's a massive tail wholl have nothing to show but 10% SL levy.

Low earners don't have to repay student loans.

HOLA4422
5 hours ago, 17 Year Veteran said:

Spot on.

Always best to focus on behaviours rather than personalities / appearance.

E.g. having a security guard along.

One other thing tho, this lady clearly intends to look like this. This isn't, say, body shaming or racism. Manicuring to look like a clown every day is as much an action as having a security guard in a staff meeting. It's a statement.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425