House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
3 minutes ago, kzb said:

You mean we've all got to accept that we are in the same league as the nazis, and we should be deeply ashamed of ourselves?

Yes Brexiteers and Tory neo fascist supporters (big overlap these days) should be asking themselves “are we the baddies?”

HOLA442
3 minutes ago, yelims said:

Yes Brexiteers and Tory neo fascist supporters (big overlap these days) should be asking themselves “are we the baddies?”

Have you asked yourself that?

HOLA443
10 hours ago, Cocha said:

https://www.sharecast.com/news/news-and-announcements--/uk-manufacturing-whirs-back-to-life-in-march-despite-headwinds-from-shortages--7849538.html

Well we are about through the opening quarter and if this is as bad as things are going to get, I've really no idea what remainers have been whittling about for the last 5 years.

The OBR's recent report said that project fear (7% loss of GDP with a deal) will be delivered and the Treasury has accepted it.  

Looks like the Remainers "whittling" ??? was correct. Just how bad were you expecting things to be?

HOLA444
HOLA445
16 hours ago, Huggy said:

I haven’t voted (can’t anyways)  in Tories (nor continue to support them) who

1. destroying whole industries 

2. responsible for at least 70000 needless deaths due to fumbling of Covid 

3. Cut all foreign aid

4. chipped away at rights such as human rights and now right to peaceful protest 

and so on

HOLA446
21 minutes ago, yelims said:
16 hours ago, Huggy said:

3. Cut all foreign aid

4. chipped away at rights such as human rights and now right to peaceful protest 

and so on

I am not sure if you have deliberately avoided the question, or simply misunderstood. 

Huggy is perfectly aware of your politics.

There has been enough dangerous political point scoring on both sides to damn pretty much all the European politicians over the past month or two. (and I include U.K. in Europe). 

There is no “right” and “wrong” side in vaccine nationalism that risks public health, or in NI posturing that risks public safety. 

HOLA447
25 minutes ago, 14stFlyer said:

I am not sure if you have deliberately avoided the question, or simply misunderstood. 

Huggy is perfectly aware of your politics.

There has been enough dangerous political point scoring on both sides to damn pretty much all the European politicians over the past month or two. (and I include U.K. in Europe). 

There is no “right” and “wrong” side in vaccine nationalism that risks public health, or in NI posturing that risks public safety. 

I totally agree, I was giving Brexiteers a taste of their own medicine, nationalism and protectionist zero sum games is how millions ended up dead across Europe in 20th century and what gave rise to realisation that cooperation is needed and hence EU is result

people supporting Tories are no different to Germans in 30s supporting nazi party, yes the system is broken but handing control over to fascists will not only not fix the issues but make things worse

in meantime here is a headline from today, remember how Brexiteers on this thread insisted brexit is needed to cut red tape, 

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/many-small-uk-exporters-giving-up-on-eu-due-to-brexit-1.4522783?mode=amp

Many small UK exporters giving up on EU due to Brexit 

Burden of red tape means that 25% of small UK exporters have halted sales

HOLA448
HOLA449
3 hours ago, yelims said:

I totally agree, I was giving Brexiteers a taste of their own medicine, nationalism and protectionist zero sum games is how millions ended up dead across Europe in 20th century and what gave rise to realisation that cooperation is needed and hence EU is result

Presumably you're therefore ashamed of the likes of De Valera?

3 hours ago, yelims said:

people supporting Tories are no different to Germans in 30s supporting nazi party, yes the system is broken but handing control over to fascists will not only not fix the issues but make things worse

If you think this you have a seriously distorted sense of reality. The UK is not governed by fascists.

Edited by thecrashingisles

HOLA4410
24 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Presumably you're therefore ashamed of the likes of De Valera?

If you think this you have a seriously distorted sense of reality. The UK is not governed by fascists.

Ashamed no (being managed by unelected elites from London was a bad idea, Scotland should take note) but beside that De Valera did led to this country to have several lost decades of progress and being needlessly poorer by embracing ultra nationalism and isolationism,

Brexiteers should take note as they want repeat same mistakes but with added fascism on top, and we know where that leads.

Edited by yelims

HOLA4411
3 minutes ago, yelims said:

Ashamed no (being managed by unelected elites from London was a bad idea, Scotland should take note) but beside that De Valera did led to this country to have several lost decades of progress and being needlessly poorer by embracing ultra nationalism and isolationism,

Brexiteers should take note as they want repeat same mistakes but with added fascism on top, and we know where that leads.

In what sense are Brexiteers repeating the same mistakes? The UK has a zero-tariff trade deal with the EU and an open economy. It is nothing like the murderous self-righteousness that drove De Valera's autarkic fantasies.

HOLA4412
3 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

In what sense are Brexiteers repeating the same mistakes? The UK has a zero-tariff trade deal with the EU and an open economy. It is nothing like the murderous self-righteousness that drove De Valera's autarkic fantasies.

Trade deal that Brexiteers opposed and still haven’t been ratified by Eu as Uk hasn’t done anything to implement NI parts of the deal.

as per link few posts up, tariff free is not same as single market membership as Uk business is finding out 

btw you don’t see the irony in Brexiteers going on about control of borders only to wave through every incoming truck which may contain more than goods?

HOLA4413
1 minute ago, yelims said:

Trade deal that Brexiteers opposed and still haven’t been ratified by Eu as Uk hasn’t done anything to implement NI parts of the deal.

as per link few posts up, tariff free is not same as single market membership as Uk business is finding out 

btw you don’t see the irony in Brexiteers going on about control of borders only to wave through every incoming truck which may contain more than goods?

Not really. Control also means having the ability to waive rules in your own interests. One of the arguments behind Brexit was that too much single market legislation was disguised protectionism so it’s perfectly consistent to ignore it.

The EU parliament has said it will ratify the deal in April regardless of what the UK does on the protocol.

HOLA4414
1 minute ago, thecrashingisles said:

Not really. Control also means having the ability to waive rules in your own interests. One of the arguments behind Brexit was that too much single market legislation was disguised protectionism so it’s perfectly consistent to ignore it.

The EU parliament has said it will ratify the deal in April regardless of what the UK does on the protocol.

Yes protection of EU small businesses against third countries and their companies 

something hundreds of UK firms are learning now that they are going out of business 

btw how do you explain Ireland trading more with China (both directions) than UK does, why can Ireland despite having 13x smaller population and being an EU member can have no issues with international trade?

HOLA4415
8 minutes ago, yelims said:

Yes protection of EU small businesses against third countries and their companies 

something hundreds of UK firms are learning now that they are going out of business 

btw how do you explain Ireland trading more with China (both directions) than UK does, why can Ireland despite having 13x smaller population and being an EU member can have no issues with international trade?

I suggest you check your figures. Do you really believe Ireland trades more with China than the UK does?

HOLA4416
5 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

I suggest you check your figures. Do you really believe Ireland trades more with China than the UK does?

Uk > China 2019 30.7b https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7379/

Ireland > China 2019 7b https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1214/1184329-cso-reports-exports-worth-152-billion-in-2019/

Ireland 13.5x less people than uk similar gdp ratio difference 

you don’t need to be mathematician to realise uk is severely underperforming 

thats 2019 too, latest monthly cso reports show higher exports to China than UK

HOLA4417
11 hours ago, miguel said:

He doesn't think he's directly affected by it therefore it doesn't exist. Perhaps he should ask the great British brexit fishing industry, you know the industry that was going to be so fantastic after brexit. 

I work in manufacturing and am currently reliant on sources from 5 EU countries, so personally I'd call that directly affected.

Ahhh fishing, that industry which remainers weren't bothered about pre-Brexit, as exemplified by Geldoff and his cronies on the Thames, but suddenly post-Brexit has become the poster industry for their crocodile tears. More so since the likes of NIssan failed to live up to their expectations and leave the UK for the EU, much to their chagrin.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
41 minutes ago, Cocha said:

I work in manufacturing and am currently reliant on sources from 5 EU countries, so personally I'd call that directly affected.

Ahhh fishing, that industry which remainers weren't bothered about pre-Brexit, as exemplified by Geldoff and his cronies on the Thames, but suddenly post-Brexit has become the poster industry for their crocodile tears. More so since the likes of NIssan failed to live up to their expectations and leave the UK for the EU, much to their chagrin.

How strange. Fishing, the industry that leavers used to wave the flag for brexit. Whatever happened to Fartrage and his boat come January 1st ?  I don't think I've come across one single post of sympathy from a Brexiteer on people who have lost their job in fishing. Certainly not from you. Can you point to one of yours? 

The fishing industry. Used and then discarded. 

Edited by miguel

HOLA4420
9 hours ago, yelims said:

3. Cut all foreign aid

and so on

The comment was just a self-reflection piece. One can be so sure of one's position that any action, no matter how vile, can be justified because of the initial (false) assumption. Likewise, any action that is inoffensive by most measures can be considered the worst thng any one has done ever to a certain observer. Just look at the 'I'm offended' gang on the social medias for examples.

In my mind, the vote was simply to move from a trading and political group and so good and evil simply does not figure. Similarly, Bitcoin not being evil because of it's environmental effects, it's just something that isn't that malign.

HOLA4421
1 hour ago, miguel said:

How strange. Fishing, the industry that leavers used to wave the flag for brexit. Whatever happened to Fartrage and his boat come January 1st ?  I don't think I've come across one single post of sympathy from a Brexiteer on people who have lost their job in fishing. Certainly not from you. Can you point to one of yours? 

The fishing industry. Used and then discarded. 

Fishing industry is annihilating our oceans, no big loss. Eat fake fish products and really make a difference to our planet.

HOLA4422
6 minutes ago, Brendan110_0 said:

Fishing industry is annihilating our oceans, no big loss. Eat fake fish products and really make a difference to our planet.

I can't remember that being one of the campaign points. I'm pretty sure fisherman might have voted differently if so.

HOLA4423
3 hours ago, Cocha said:

Ahhh fishing, that industry which remainers weren't bothered about pre-Brexit, as exemplified by Geldoff and his cronies on the Thames, but suddenly post-Brexit has become the poster industry for their crocodile tears.

That's disingenuous, not surprisingly. 

I could phrase it like this for accuracy:

Ahhh fishing, that industry which brexiters cared so much about pre-Brexit, as exemplified by Farage and his cronies on the Thames, but suddenly post-Brexit has become an irrelevancy to them. So much for their crocodile tears.

Edited by dugsbody

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Bank of England clamps down on Brexit-driven EU relocations

UK regulator concerned that continent counterparts demanding more to move than necessary.
The Bank of England is demanding that lenders seek its approval before relocating UK jobs or operations to the EU, after becoming concerned that European regulators are asking for more to move than is necessary for financial stability after Brexit.
The BoE has taken this stance — described by one senior banker as “increasingly curmudgeonly” — after hearing of several requests from the European Central Bank that it considers excessive and beyond what is required from a prudential supervisory perspective.

FT