House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441

E-offensive: Volkswagen has launched the world's largest e-offensive. The Group is investing 35 billion euros.

Models: By 2030, Volkswagen will have launched about 70 all-electric models across the Group.

Big goals: In 2025, the Volkswagen brand intends to sell more than 1 million electric cars per year worldwide.

But apparently Tesla will be selling over 30 million... 

Snipped that accidentally, but China would build a factory, and a city to go with it. 

HOLA442

Lots of industry experts started out with similar views to yours but one by one they are realising that Tesla have been making the right calls, often taking other peoples ideas and making them work better.  

VW and Toyota are investing heavily in solid state batteries but they are many years away from large scale production and in the meantime Tesla's old battery tech is pulling further ahead of the following pack.  

More nonsense.

HOLA443
HOLA444

....thousands who voted to leave regret it, others will learn to regret it, some have their fingers and toes crossed that they won't live to regret it......the rest couldn't care what happens, or how much it costs, or how it might affect them or anyone else they just want out.;)

Sadly most won't, they will carry on reading Leave propaganda and carry on blaming the EU for anything they don't like. The worse things get the more they will be convinced it is the EU's fault.

HOLA445

Yes as explained, the car market will 1/2 by 2030 due to Autonomy. 

Again, I'm sceptical, but then I've monitored the area for over two decades. It will come, but I don't think it will have the impact you expect in the timescale you imagine. And I'm one who's welcome the technology. It won't be my kids wiping seats as I don't have any kids, but I certainly hope you aren't seriously wishing for a rentier us-and-them world. 

HOLA446
HOLA447

Tesla is about 20% of my long term SIPP Investments, was under 1% in 2016.  Once again the clever futurists make the gainz. 

Look at every other automakers shares, Terrible investments.

You must have taken a massive gamble putting less than 1% of your investments into Tesla in 2016. I take it at that point you where totally convinced that Tesla was the future then.

HOLA448
HOLA449

It's a pretty unprecedented scale of increase, so it needs more than a few words to back up. Certainly, it's unprecedented for Tesla that had, over the last two years only managed to sustain around a 25% year-on-year increase. That's actually really impressive, but the change from 100,000s to 10s of millions is huge. Maybe I will be proved wrong, but I'm highly sceptical. 

It's compounding that is doing it. It's getting exponential. Shareholders are not asking for divi's, just take over the Auto world to become the main player Globally by 2030, then we will take a divi.  

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The idea that Tesla will be allowed to become the monopoly supplier of electric vehicle technologies to the entire world is the most fantastically stupid thing I've ever read on HPC!

Musky can f**k off to Mars!

🤣

He doesn't aim to be a monopoly supplier of cars, the target is to get about 20% of the market. 

He will be more than happy to FOTM. 

HOLA4412

From Brexit, (the thread subject) through the Queen blazing away in defence of empire with a maxim machine gun, to nutters with battery powered electric vehicles, and a quick detour to get some monkey burgers does it matter any more?

Right or wrong, we are out in a couple of days. Trade will carry on, the world will keep turning and Strictly will be back next year.

Anybody up for a nice game of chess..._

HOLA4413

You must have taken a massive gamble putting less than 1% of your investments into Tesla in 2016. I take it at that point you where totally convinced that Tesla was the future then.

Nope. Also put 1% into BMW, as i had a i3 Rex on order for Q1 2017. I assumed BMW would have a BEV 3 series in 2020 for the same cost as a 320D, with a 200+ mile range and as fast as a M3. Never happened. They cant / wont make it. Tesla Did. So sold the BMW shares for a 20% loss in September after the Tesla share spilt, to buy more Tesla. 

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Well is it £7bn or £17bn (See Jon2b link above)?  The fact there are such differing estimates probably means both are deluded.  I also remind you that UK/non-EU trade has been growing faster than UK/EU trade, despite the barriers.

Also, this money is paid to UK workers within the UK.  It will be largely spent here in the UK, so it is not a net loss.

Hard to believe you see your self as a details/data man, it's not at all how you come across. 

The costs will come in many forms, the £7bn refers to the direct cost of running the new customs system and filling in the declarations. There are many layers of new costs to add on to that to get the full picture. 

The £17bn referred to in the article comes from 

• Extra red tape could cost British businesses around 17 billion pounds, equivalent to roughly $23 billion, a year, and EU-based businesses about £14 billion, according to estimates from law firm Clifford Chance.

All that's from just new red tape, Brexit is probably the worlds greatest ever red tape creation exercise.  There are plenty of other costs both already incurred and still to com that will need adding to build up a true picture of the cost of Brexit.  

HOLA4417

Sadly most won't, they will carry on reading Leave propaganda and carry on blaming the EU for anything they don't like. The worse things get the more they will be convinced it is the EU's fault.

Sad, but true. 

And such continued condescending remoaner bitterness will keep us warm at night. What's the plan for the rejoin campaign?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

And such continued condescending remoaner bitterness will keep us warm at night. What's the plan for the rejoin campaign?

With the current framework agreement it will not be necessary to rejoin. All that is needed is that successive governments keep moving closer to the EU at a review every 5 years. 

All that leavers have to prove is that Brexit is a success to prevent it.

HOLA4420

I'm puzzled that a Brexit thread has been derailed into a chat about electric cars and Tesla.

It's almost like there's no great benefits of the Brexit deal to crow about...

...that is what Brexit is about so it seems, free to make electric cars and batteries and hope nobody beats us to it or people refuse to accept that it is better......still be spending billions in excess of £52 billion could be over £100 billion on HS2, cross rail what will the final cost be for that? what about the third runway, taking years to lay a strip of concrete? when we are at the moment having to subsidise public transport..... car insurance has reduced, people are moving and traveling less, using less fuel, that is what they say we should be doing, move less to save the planet ......what is it to be trains, planes or EV......or none of them?;)

HOLA4421

It's a pretty unprecedented scale of increase, so it needs more than a few words to back up. Certainly, it's unprecedented for Tesla that had, over the last two years only managed to sustain around a 25% year-on-year increase. That's actually really impressive, but the change from 100,000s to 10s of millions is huge. Maybe I will be proved wrong, but I'm highly sceptical. 

You can probably find the September battery day presentations online, these concentrated almost entirely on how production issues that will need to be overcome to achieve this huge ramping up will be overcome. All interesting stuff for techies but not what the market wanted to hear and the shares tanked during the presentation.

In short it was the plan for reducing the cost of batteries by almost 60% while at the same times increasing production per plant 10 fold. The pilot plant is already running and the first full scale one will be in Berlin producing 250GWH of batteries per year.  

HOLA4422

Hard to believe you see your self as a details/data man, it's not at all how you come across. 

The costs will come in many forms, the £7bn refers to the direct cost of running the new customs system and filling in the declarations. There are many layers of new costs to add on to that to get the full picture. 

The £17bn referred to in the article comes from 

• Extra red tape could cost British businesses around 17 billion pounds, equivalent to roughly $23 billion, a year, and EU-based businesses about £14 billion, according to estimates from law firm Clifford Chance.

All that's from just new red tape, Brexit is probably the worlds greatest ever red tape creation exercise.  There are plenty of other costs both already incurred and still to com that will need adding to build up a true picture of the cost of Brexit.  

World leading in something again!

Actually the UK does very well for its size in tech, but it's failed to keep up in things like aeronautics (USA outspent in the 50s), electronics (ditto, 60s). We still have AI, biotechnology, and to some extent battery tech, but it'd be nice to see more work on renewable, nanotech, aerospace, materials, electronics, etc. 

And such continued condescending remoaner bitterness 

It's not condescending, it's a statement of how badly served people have been in terms of properly reasoned and fact checked debate, and it goes for both sides. Too often it's been two sides shouting at each other and I wish there had been better information on the EU decades ago. 

HOLA4423

Do the origins of the deal matter? I dimly recall the French threatening to block an existing deal not them offering a new one in exchange for their agents.

Currently the UK buys NZ lamb so that it can sell its domestic production into the EU at a higher price than it could be sold domestically.  

Thats an unfair representation, what you mean is that british lamb is valued more highly on the continent than it is in the UK.

HOLA4424

You can probably find the September battery day presentations online, these concentrated almost entirely on how production issues that will need to be overcome to achieve this huge ramping up will be overcome. All interesting stuff for techies but not what the market wanted to hear and the shares tanked during the presentation.

In short it was the plan for reducing the cost of batteries by almost 60% while at the same times increasing production per plant 10 fold. The pilot plant is already running and the first full scale one will be in Berlin producing 250GWH of batteries per year.  

I'd assumed the Berlin plant was just batteries. The initial price as in the UK seemed to talk about nothing but batteries, but I checked and I was wrong. 

Still, it feels like almost a wartime level of expansion, but I'll see if I can contrast and compare against Studebaker production for the USSR rather than T-34 figures as that's slightly more comparable :).

HOLA4425