House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It was clear that this would happen if we left the single market. This is why:
- No-one was talking about leaving the single-market, that was just Project Fear

...and later...

- It was clear we would leave the single market, that is what people voted for.

I am not sure who is worse, pathological liars or those who were stupid enough to believe them. 

HOLA443
HOLA444
6 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Isn’t that the whole point of immigration control; open the door when you need to and close it when you don’t?

The problem is people from the EU don't want to come.  Being the EU citizens gave those people security and rights guaranteed by an international treaty, now they at a mercy of the government, which treats their all own people with disdain, let alone new comers.

HOLA445
2 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

Yet you seem to exclude the possibility that "we" could undergo the kind of reset that would make joining the EU either as is, or a much more integrated version of it, something "we" would be happy with, despite the historical precedent of Ireland.

No, I don't exclude a reset here in the UK; history is replete with resets and, as I said above, is one possible definition of history itself.

HOLA446

Hey Brexiterrrezzzzz soon it’s time to put your mouths where your money is and chow down on that sweet, cheap foreign, UK-farmer undercutting chlorinated chicken! 

Remember, our masters promised we wouldn’t bow the knee but here we are - reaping the benefits of complete independence* 

* licking boots as hard as we can

HOLA447
1 hour ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Isn’t that the whole point of immigration control; open the door when you need to and close it when you don’t?

You're having a laugh right now, aren't you?

I thought the EU citizens were the core problem of the Brexit.

Edited by rollover

HOLA448
HOLA449
1 hour ago, slawek said:

The UK taking back control and then accepting lower food standards to please the US. 

A few of us have been saying for a while that this would happen.

For Boris it is all about the optics. A quick (shit) trade deal with the US will be fantastic optics to brexiters, able to claim it as a victory for brexit.

He doesn't care how good it is for the UK, he cares how a certain demographic of voters will think it is. And it has been shown over and over that demographic will fall for it.

Optics. It is all about the optics.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
25 minutes ago, rollover said:

You're having a laugh right now, aren't you?

I thought the EU citizens were the core problem of the Brexit.

No, the idea that a sovereign state should try to attract the types of people/workers it requires is pretty straightforward and sensible, the open door policy obviously isn`t very sensible and the sensible majority voted to put an end to it.

HOLA4413
1 hour ago, slawek said:

The problem is people from the EU don't want to come.  Being the EU citizens gave those people security and rights guaranteed by an international treaty, now they at a mercy of the government, which treats their all own people with disdain, let alone new comers.

If the jobs pay well enough people will come, it isn`t exactly hard to get home if they decide not to stay is it?

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, slawek said:

Of course they want to come; and they will continue to come; for work, for the culture, food, music, countryside etc.

HOLA4415
5 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Of course they want to come; and they will continue to come; for work, for the culture, food, music, countryside etc.

No, they don't. That will get even worse after the UK ends the transition period and becomes backwaters of the EU. 

image.png.1007e1b51e975904236566c6062e3dbc.png

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
32 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

If the jobs pay well enough people will come, it isn`t exactly hard to get home if they decide not to stay is it?

That will be a small group, well paid skilled workers, but even they will be very cautious to move here since the UK has destroyed its reputation as a place welcoming immigrants.  Moreover Brexit will have a negative impact on the economy so there will be less jobs, pound will be weaker too. The UK simply won't be able to afford top people.  

HOLA4418
21 minutes ago, slawek said:

No, they don't. That will get even worse after the UK ends the transition period and becomes backwaters of the EU. 

image.png.1007e1b51e975904236566c6062e3dbc.png

If recruitment becomes problematic, wages will rise, and interest in these jobs will increase.

Edited by GrizzlyDave

HOLA4419
55 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

No, the idea that a sovereign state should try to attract the types of people/workers it requires is pretty straightforward and sensible, the open door policy obviously isn`t very sensible and the sensible majority voted to put an end to it.

I can see this.

Except, I live in Denmark where they do such a thing. Frankly, it is a little nasty and petty at times. The British Government want cheap Labour though.

HOLA4420
11 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

If recruitment becomes problematic, wages will rise, and interest in these jobs will increase.

Those people were hired because they were better value for the wages they were paid than the UK citizens. People from the EU will need now higher wages to compensate for more hostile environment, weaker pound. I don't think businesses can pay more. They simply don't have money and they can't rise their prices either. What will happen is quantity and quality of products/services produced in the UK will go down, lower GDP.  

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
49 minutes ago, slawek said:

That will be a small group, well paid skilled workers, but even they will be very cautious to move here since the UK has destroyed its reputation as a place welcoming immigrants.  Moreover Brexit will have a negative impact on the economy so there will be less jobs, pound will be weaker too. The UK simply won't be able to afford top people.  

Nonsense, it will cover any areas where the UK needs workers, and if they are reluctant to come the UK will need to sweeten the deal a bit, free or subsidised accommodation for nurses for example. The bit the EU lovers don`t like is that the UK controls the process, not the EU.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
40 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I can see this.

Except, I live in Denmark where they do such a thing. Frankly, it is a little nasty and petty at times. The British Government want cheap Labour though.

Of course it is, that is just the way these things go sometimes, the UK is a much bigger economy though and can absorb plenty of people without too much drama (not full scale FOM though, that was just nonsense)

HOLA4425
17 minutes ago, slawek said:

Those people were hired because they were better value for the wages they were paid than the UK citizens. People from the EU will need now higher wages to compensate for more hostile environment, weaker pound. I don't think businesses can pay more. They simply don't have money and they can't rise their prices either. What will happen is quantity and quality of products/services produced in the UK will go down, lower GDP.  

People come to the UK because they want to live in vibrant cities like London, Manchester, Edinburgh or Glasgow etc. That won`t change, what changes is who controls the process, the EU has been told to take their nose out of the process by the democratic will of the British people and that is good enough for me.