House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
Just now, crouch said:

I can't se A50 being revoked. Legally we can do it at the price of considerable political upheaval (maybe). Would it be a temporary revocation or permanent?

As to holding a GE - on what basis? If revoking A50 is simply to give us more time then how will this help? Defining the way forward sounds good but what does it mean?

It's worth remembering that before the referendum, the Leave campaign were saying things like "there's no arbitrary deadline", "we wouldn't necessarily need to invoke Article 50". "it will be a 4 year process".  Revocation accompanied by May's resignation could be a desirable move for Brexiteers who want to keep the 2016 mandate alive.

HOLA443
8 minutes ago, winkie said:

You chose to leave, some have changed their minds both ways, others who had no opinion now have an opinion, others that had no say would like to have a say about their future....;)

Don't forget my absolute personal favourite:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/733656/Question-Time-Cat-Boyd-Brexit-EU-referendum-did-not-vote-audience-Stirling-European-Union

HOLA444
2 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

It's worth remembering that before the referendum, the Leave campaign were saying things like "there's no arbitrary deadline", "we wouldn't necessarily need to invoke Article 50". "it will be a 4 year process".  Revocation accompanied by May's resignation could be a desirable move for Brexiteers who want to keep the 2016 mandate alive.

Yes you might interpret it that way but I think it's more likely to be interpreted as a complete betrayal - even if it leaves the way open to leave later. May was indeed premature in triggering A50; there was no need to do it and it was not the right time to do it but that's TM.

HOLA445
20 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

When people are not happy with what is happening, what is going on, the hope they have, they feel are  not in control of their future, circumstances and opportunities......they are exactly the ones who have more reason to vote to change it, they were given a vote to change, the power to change it.......what any change will do for them, if it will improve anything is up for discussion....those quite happy with things as they are, are not that interested in voting or politics, didn't think it was that important anyway, might have not bothered to vote, had better things to do that day.....wake up call.;)

HOLA446
1 hour ago, crouch said:

Yes you might interpret it that way but I think it's more likely to be interpreted as a complete betrayal - even if it leaves the way open to leave later. May was indeed premature in triggering A50; there was no need to do it and it was not the right time to do it but that's TM.

It's not that I'd interpret it that way, but it's open to Brexiteers to position it that way if they want a way out of the impasse.

HOLA447
HOLA448

23 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

23 hours ago, zugzwang said:

Whenever I put the word Anunziata into my kindle it changes it to Sandinista. :huh:

How do you even pronounce that?

What are they teaching you lot nowadays?

The name has three 'n's -  Annunziata - and it literally means (from the Italian) "annunciation". This, and his six kids should give you a clue about his religion: roman catholic.

Yep JRM, who has been at pains to play down the significance of a hardening of the Republic of ireland (largely considered bastion of Catholicism)/N ireland (largely considered an outpost of Protestants) border, is himself a pretty devout Catholic!

My suspicion is a lot of remainers suppose him to be some 'George and the Dragon'-died-in-the-wool-C-of-E sort.

But peeps are never that simple.

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA449
4 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Just call them ‘Vurbers’, turn them into the new superfood, market the hell out of them until the meat industry are begging to call their products ‘meat vurbers’

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
6 minutes ago, pig said:

Just call them ‘Vurbers’, turn them into the new superfood, market the hell out of them until the meat industry are begging to call their products ‘meat vurbers’

No - the commission has decided what they are to be called - and the name is veggie discs.

This is freedom. Enjoy it.

HOLA4412
15 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

No - the commission has decided what they are to be called - and the name is veggie discs.

This is freedom. Enjoy it.

First world problems. Besides, the gammons only eat dead animals so it's not likely to upset them.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
1 hour ago, zugzwang said:

First world problems. Besides, the gammons only eat dead animals so it's not likely to upset them.

Oh dear, more casual racism / sweeping statements.

29012019_john_bercow.jpg

Gammons also approve of the EU

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
3 hours ago, crouch said:

I can't se A50 being revoked. Legally we can do it at the price of considerable political upheaval (maybe). Would it be a temporary revocation or permanent?

As to holding a GE - on what basis? If revoking A50 is simply to give us more time then how will this help? Defining the way forward sounds good but what does it mean?

Why not?

Only Tories are on the hook.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
5 minutes ago, rollover said:

Why not?

Only Tories are on the hook.

It's too much of a slap in the face to the electorate. Now the elite don't care about the electorate but have to be discreet about ignoring them. Revoking A50 is not discreet.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
4 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

That's why i think that, if May cannot get her deal through, the only way forward is to revoke A50 and hold a GE to let the parties present their vision of the way forward and be held to account by the electorate.

The prince of unicorns. To do so would destroy the Conservative party. Which is, of course, why they cannot do it.

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
14 minutes ago, rollover said:

I see Brexit differently.

I think Brexit is lose-lose situation for UK and EU.

Also, I think the pre referendum promises are undeliverable.

I'm not sure what interest it is of yours to hold UK politicians to account. But perhaps we've been so hopeless about it, that we need outside help.

You're an enigma - as interested in learning & integrating with foreign cultures as I've been with Francophone culture. But my French is better than your English, and I would never contemplate telling Francophones how to run their countries. 

Perhaps all the furrin trolls paranoia exhibited by the remainer side has rubbed off on me. 

Must try and be less xenophobic.