House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
Just now, Futuroid said:

No, you're missing the glaringly obvious point. Pay attention to the tweet - it's an excerpt from the Times.

We haven't banned EU workers yet, we are still in the EU.

The pressing problem now is the workers don't want to come for the 2017 season. They've heard what the UK is like now and see that our currency is an albatross.

The crops are in the ground now.  Who is going to pick them? Tick, tock, tick, tock.

The same people that have always picked them ,now you are going to tell me they will stay in the ground ....pay the money and the people will come it`s that simple ....i dont fall for the fearmongering 

HOLA442
2 minutes ago, long time lurking said:

The same people that have always picked them ,now you are going to tell me they will stay in the ground ....pay the money and the people will come it`s that simple ....i dont fall for the fearmongering 

The money is worth 20% less than it was last year and you run the chance of being beaten up (or worse).

They have the choice of 27 other states in which to work.

The stuff will stay in the ground until prices rise high enough to make the work attractive. You'd better get used to Spanish strawberries ;)

HOLA443
Just now, Futuroid said:

I'm afraid my Ivory Tower has been sub-let to Slovakian plumbers ;)

I was working in the City of London in 2001 and even then there was a whole floor of a UBS building filled with Indian workers. 

They were doing most of their work for the Swiss part of the bank but the Swiss wouldn't let them into the country! This was above and beyond the numerous projects that were already offshored and being done by Indians in India. But you have to adapt, be quick witted and keep your skills sharp. It's how things work in the global economy.  

Are you so blind you can't see that the vested interests are already moving to secure their deals? In some cases these will be part of the trade agreements, in others a sop to one industry or another (Farming, Nissan, blah, blah, blah...) 

The working class won't have a problem dealing with EE immigrants, who share most of their cultural identity. The new kids on the block may come from Asia, or Russia or the Middle East, or wherever negotiates a sweet deal with May and her band of merry Brexiteers.

You know what they say - one door closes and another opens...

Load of b@'llocks Roy

HOLA444
Just now, Futuroid said:

The money is worth 20% less than it was last year and you run the chance of being beaten up (or worse).

They have the choice of 27 other states in which to work.

The stuff will stay in the ground until prices rise high enough to make the work attractive. You'd better get used to Spanish strawberries ;)

Well they will have to pay 20% more it`s simple 

HOLA445
5 minutes ago, ccc said:

Prior to 2006 all the UK born potatoes leapt out of the ground and launched themselves into tractors.

^the above may not strictly be true 

Beyond a rather poor attempt at a pithy comment, have you got any facts? Since you hail from Dundee, you should pop along and ask some of the farmers in Angus and Perthshire. They were recruiting from outside the UK (and the EU) long before 2006.

HOLA446
2 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

Most of the time you can make your own better products from raw ingredients, I believe it used to be called being able to cook.

The UK could be a slimmer, healthier and personally wealthier if we cut out the highly leveraged middlemen.

Completely agree.....but unemployment figures would be higher, so free choice is the best way, if people have the ability to do so, let them pay the premium price, their prerogative ...whilst we still have freedoms and choices that enable us to cut out agents/middlemen long may it continue....many places in the world the common people do not have that choice. :)

HOLA447
1 minute ago, long time lurking said:

Well they will have to pay 20% more it`s simple 

The supermarkets have them in contracts that won't allow that to happen. If the UK farmers can't supply the product at the prices they are contracted to (or that are attractive to the supermarkets in the case of people who sell on a year by year basis) the supermarkets will buy from Spain (soft fruit) or elsewhere (Potatoes, etc) - we are still in the EU.

This is not some hypothetical thing that might happen. It's real and it's happening now.

It just harks back to the post I made yesterday about this process being incredibly complex, with a huge number of unexpected consequences - many of which we are yet to discover. 

HOLA448
HOLA449

The Pound has been lower against both the dollar and the euro whilst we have been in the EU. Why are all you Remoaners wetting your pants over a minor, temporary currency fluctuation?

Surely you should have been baying to leave the EU as it has had such a negative long-term effect on the Pound?

Edited by the gardener

HOLA4410
Just now, Futuroid said:

The supermarkets have them in contracts that won't allow that to happen. If the UK farmers can't supply the product at the prices they are contracted to (or that are attractive to the supermarkets in the case of people who sell on a year by year basis) the supermarkets will buy from Spain (soft fruit) or elsewhere (Potatoes, etc) - we are still in the EU.

This is not some hypothetical thing that might happen. It's real and it's happening now.

It just harks back to the post I made yesterday about this process being incredibly complex, with a huge number of unexpected consequences - many of which we are yet to discover. 

So what do you do let them rot in the ground and make sweet fa,or probably a massive loss  or take a 20% hit on the labour cost  ...i take with your logic they will chose the former ...thick as pig shit option 

HOLA4411
9 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

Question. Who controls the supply of bread to the millions of inhabitants of the UK? How are things ordered so that people get the bread they need and don't go hungry?

HOLA4412
Just now, the gardener said:

The Pound has been lower against both the dollar and the euro whilst we have been in the EU. Why are all you Remoaners wetting your pants over a minor, temporary currency fluctuation?

Surely you should have been baying to leave the EU as it has had such a negative long-term effect on the Pound?

The sky`s falling in i tell you ...well at least Roy thinks so

HOLA4413
4 minutes ago, long time lurking said:

So what do you do let them rot in the ground and make sweet fa,or probably a massive loss  or take a 20% hit on the labour cost  ...i take with your logic they will chose the former ...thick as pig shit option 

Yep, 20% more expensive potatoes VS tax credits and housing benefit for the EU worker PLUS unemployment benefit and housing benefit to a UK worker. FFS!

Is it easy for EU migrants to claim benefits in the UK?
No. Tougher rules came into force in March 2015 stating new EU migrants who arrive in the UK cannot claim any benefits until they have started work here.

They must also have lived in the UK for three months before putting in any benefit claims.
What benefits are they currently entitled to claim?
Once they have been living in the country for three months they are entitled to claim:
Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
Child Benefit
Child Tax Credits
They used to be allowed to claim Housing Benefit but this has now been scrapped.

Source :- http://www.itv.com/news/2016-02-03/what-benefits-can-eu-migrants-claim/

Edited by XswampyX

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
59 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

Beyond a rather poor attempt at a pithy comment, have you got any facts? Since you hail from Dundee, you should pop along and ask some of the farmers in Angus and Perthshire. They were recruiting from outside the UK (and the EU) long before 2006.

Facts ? Potatoes got harvested before the Polish came to the UK.

Do you disagree with this fact ?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
3 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

The Indians are already saying we need to allow more immigration from India if we want a trade deal.

Lol! Was that incredulous I checked up on the story - it was May who p1ssed them off in the first place !

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
2 hours ago, the gardener said:

You mean baying to join the Euro, surely?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
4 hours ago, Futuroid said:

When does the panic buying start I wonder - before Xmas or after? :huh:

Birds Eye and Walkers ask supermarkets for more than 10% price rise
Brands join Typhoo and Unilever in battle over prices caused by 18% drop in value of pound against dollar since Brexit vote

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/06/birds-eye-walkers-supermarkets-price-rise-brexit-vote-pound

UK consumer choice below, don't panic:

Leicester-based Walkers, which is owned by PepsiCo, the US conglomerate that also makes Tropicana orange juice, Quaker Oats and Doritos chips, is understood to be seeking a price rises of between 5% and 10%, taking a 32g bag of crisps from 50p to 55p.

A Walkers spokesperson said: “Whilst our potatoes are British, we import a number of different ingredients and materials to produce a finished packet of Walkers crisps such as seasonings, oil for frying and key raw materials used in our packaging film.

“Fluctuating foreign exchange rates, supply pressure on key ingredients and the weakened value of the pound are impacting the import cost of some of our materials and affecting the price of material costs based on commodities that are traded in foreign currencies.”

Supermarket sources said both companies had kicked off talks shortly after Unilever began discussions with grocers.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/06/birds-eye-walkers-supermarkets-price-rise-brexit-vote-pound

or:

Pipers Crisps are hand cooked in sunflower oil and flavoured with local ingredients. “We buy chillies from Filippo Genovese in Bedfordshire, we source cider brandy from Julian Temperley in Somerset and our cheese is turned by the Alvis family in The Mendip Hills,” says Albone.

They won't supply supermarkets and I don't know where they buy their packaging from but they are currently advertising for a Business Development Executive. Perhaps a boom in sales?

http://www.piperscrisps.com/about-pipers/pipers-overview

I wonder why the Guardian didn't include this or a similar company in its article?

HOLA4424

Brexit is plausibly off now imho, the liberal powers can obfuscate its passage for now. I think in the long run there'll be h3ll to pay as I, and many others, will not vote for a mainstream party again until the power of these liberal elites is reined in. Bankers. Politicians. Quangos, whatever.

HOLA4425
21 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Brexit is plausibly off now imho, the liberal powers can obfuscate its passage for now. I think in the long run there'll be h3ll to pay as I, and many others, will not vote for a mainstream party again until the power of these liberal elites is reined in. Bankers. Politicians. Quangos, whatever.

As I said, UKIP shaved monkey candidate = your future MP.