House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
12 minutes ago, rollover said:

I think there is no more room to maneuver and no deal is going to be blocked.

I have to agree.  Half the cabinet is threatening to resign I believe.

No Deal is blocked and the withdrawal agreement is blocked.

Only options left are Delay or Revoke.

To Delay, we need the promise of a 2nd ref and/or a GE.

We aren't going anywhere. 

Shows they can be very clever when it is in their interests to be so.

HOLA442
44 minutes ago, kzb said:

Alan Johnson even thought Leave would win, simply because people would be so hacked off with being made to go through the whole thing again.

Technically, yes. Operationally, no. If it's a binary choice between Maybot's deal and Remain.

HOLA443
23 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Technically, yes. Operationally, no. If it's a binary choice between Maybot's deal and Remain.

That wouldn't be seen as a fair question though.

Maybot's Deal is fatally damaged after the vote last week.  It has no credibility.

Voters would see it was a stitch up.

Still, you never know.  They could well do it.

HOLA444
1 hour ago, kzb said:

This has got me thinking now. 

We know there are a lot more NI numbers than people.

An "investment" of £3650 allows up to £26k p.a. of benefits to be claimed. 

Yes I know there has been some handwavium explanation of this, but still I wonder.

Does this fly as investment advice anyone?

Twenty years ago identify checking for issue of NI numbers was far weaker than it is now. Back then it was relatively easy to obtain multiple ids and harvest the benefit, some people managed to have over 10 ids but I doubt it would be possible today and certainly not for immigrants who must have a biometric id.

HOLA445
9 minutes ago, kzb said:

Maybot's Deal is fatally damaged after the vote last week.  It has no credibility.

It would be a stitch up, ofc. But perhaps the only sure way of locking out a No Deal. Both a free vote and/or a GE would be subject to considerable uncertainty, anathema to the Establishment.

It also helps explain Maybot's unshakeable defiance.

HOLA446
8 minutes ago, kzb said:

It isn't popular in Parliament but then neither is Leaving. The reality is it represents the best deal we could get after two years of negotiation. 

If the EU want the UK to Remain they would need to give some concession to justify a. having the vote, and b for people to justify changing their mind to themselves.

That said we have now passed the point where even if no one changed their mind, demographic changes alone would have tipped to vote towards remain. 

HOLA447

No amendment from Wollaston yet, so much for giving the choice back to the people. Labour have put forward a noncommittal amendment with 2nd ref as a possible option to vote on, as a sop to their members I guess. But the Peoples Vote gang know the score and they don't want any 2nd ref vote yet as it would be thrown out. I suppose they're calculating that if we extend A50 their odds might get better...

HOLA448

And things hotting up for the ROI with Juncker's spokesperson saying there will have to be a hard border...no doubt Mr Coveney will be tweeting a rebuttal to that within 45 minutes...oh yeah.

Maybe a kickback to the Poles pointing out quite reasonably that there's no good reason why the backstop shouldn't be time limited, and everyone else saying shush.

HOLA449
24 minutes ago, thehowler said:

And things hotting up for the ROI with Juncker's spokesperson saying there will have to be a hard border...no doubt Mr Coveney will be tweeting a rebuttal to that within 45 minutes...oh yeah.

Maybe a kickback to the Poles pointing out quite reasonably that there's no good reason why the backstop shouldn't be time limited, and everyone else saying shush.

And that border will be set up & enforced by ...

I know, let's get The Donald in!

Can he do it? Yes he can!

Edited by cock-eyed octopus
addendum

HOLA4410
5 minutes ago, ****-eyed octopus said:

And that border will be set up & enforced by ...

It’ll be enforced by other WTO members. The U.K. could ask for an emergency waiver on essential goods to start with, but they would also have to setup a hard border as well.

The EU would ask ROI to set one up first.  It would be interesting if they said no.

Edited by Dave Beans

HOLA4411
13 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Seriously do calm down. Your hyperbole is just ridiculous.

Whatever a no deal Brexit results in millions won't die or be killed and our cities won't all be reduced to rubble. Please get some perspective!

I never said it would.  You're putting words in my mouth.

I think you lack both experience and imagination

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/staff-at-london-restaurant-death-threats-anti-brexit-receipts/

And so it continues.

Edited by jonb2

HOLA4412
2 hours ago, Errol said:

Campaigners claim 'the people' want a second referendum, but that's not what the polls say

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/01/22/campaigners-claim-people-want-second-referendum-not-polls-say/

Polls can say anything they like. For example.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-poll-brexit-live-leave-voters-mi5-conspiracy-government-a7092806.html

HOLA4413
3 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

I never said it would.  You're putting words in my mouth.

I think you lack both experience and imagination

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/staff-at-london-restaurant-death-threats-anti-brexit-receipts/

And so it continues.

I'd argue anyone motivated enough to put an anti brexit message on their receipt is probably motivated enough to go to a lefty rag to tell stories about made up death threats. 

HOLA4414
8 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

It isn't popular in Parliament but then neither is Leaving. The reality is it represents the best deal we could get after two years of negotiation. 

If the EU want the UK to Remain they would need to give some concession to justify a. having the vote, and b for people to justify changing their mind to themselves.

That said we have now passed the point where even if no one changed their mind, demographic changes alone would have tipped to vote towards remain. 

There's some talk in the Telegraph comments about Maybot surrendering ground over FOM? I just wonder...

Smoggy wouldn't kick up much of a fuss since he's neoliberal to the core and Bozzie famously wants an amnesty for illegals.

HOLA4415
4 minutes ago, aheadofthecurve said:

I'd argue anyone motivated enough to put an anti brexit message on their receipt is probably motivated enough to go to a lefty rag to tell stories about made up death threats. 

I'd argue that death threats, and actual deaths come from the right.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-42045720/anna-soubry-speaks-of-death-threats

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-46921529

Please point me to evidence of remainers issuing death threats. The situation is the same in your country.

HOLA4416
Just now, jonb2 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-42045720/anna-soubry-speaks-of-death-threats

Please point me to evidence of remainers issuing death threats. The situation is the same in your country.

Well just to use Tommy Robinson off the top of my head since he was mentioned in the article. He's received death threats as have his family. Jacob Rees Mogg had an adult accost one of his children outside his house. I doubt either of these incidences were right wingers. Anna Soubry just got called a nazi a few times, let's be fair the left is no stranger to calling people nazis. There are extremists on the left and right but I think if somebody puts anti brexit messages on their receipt it's obvious the response they are trying to illicit - most business owners are apolitical because bringing politics in to your business is just bad for business. He clearly did it to either illicit these responses at the best or at the very worst is making up the death threats. That's something there is also a documented history of - lefties reporting they have been victims of some form of right-wing oppression but then have had to admit to police it was made up.

HOLA4417
5 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

I know jonb2

Brexiteers are bad bad people and Remainers are sugar and spice and all things nice

HOLA4418
3 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I don't know, as I had left the civil service by then but on the face of it I don't think there is any linkage. Cameron's deal seems overcomplex and I suspect was probably worked up by his team with little or no input from the Home Office/DWP. 

It might have achieved the same outcome but looks, as it proved to be, too complicated to sell to the public. I doubt more than a few percent of Leave voters were even aware of its existence.  

2 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Getting access to EE workers was actively encouraged, Mervyn King's argued against using the transitional controls so that we could gain  "first mover advantage". However, nobody actively wanted  benefits seekers the just thought the numbers would be too small to worry about. Remember this was just before the introduction of working tax credits, another example of the lack of joined up thinking that plagues governments

I do find it interesting how all these little oversights have added up to such a big consequence.

2 hours ago, kzb said:

Alan Johnson even thought Leave would win, simply because people would be so hacked off with being made to go through the whole thing again.

"Brexit Delayed" headlines might galvanise the Leave vote in another referendum/GE.  This might be especially true if the vote was held after March 29th when Leave campaigners could juxtapose May's "we will leave the EU on March 29th" soundbites with whatever the date was.

HOLA4419

35 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

It’ll be enforced by other WTO members. The U.K. could ask for an emergency waiver on essential goods to start with, but they would also have to setup a hard border as well.

The EU would ask ROI to set one up first.  It would be interesting if they said no.

Forget about words and looking more at actions: what are the chances here that Ireland ultimately help the UK get a good deal? As I understand it, UK-Irish relations in the real-world are very strong - probably stronger than most other close countries in Europe.

There's no way any serious politician is looking to push a united Ireland any time soon (obviously a lot of people agree it's ultimately the right thing but no way any time soon).

It's not like Ireland aren't a little upset with the EU themselves i.e. the Apple tax refund saga etc.

Call me stupid, but I think a lot of things can happen with this Brexit saga, but anyone even contemplating any sort of border in Ireland is just impossible. It's like the lowest probability of all the outcomes.

Edited by cica

HOLA4420
8 minutes ago, aheadofthecurve said:

Well just to use Tommy Robinson off the top of my head since he was mentioned in the article. He's received death threats as have his family. Jacob Rees Mogg had an adult accost one of his children outside his house. I doubt either of these incidences were right wingers. Anna Soubry just got called a nazi a few times, let's be fair the left is no stranger to calling people nazis. There are extremists on the left and right but I think if somebody puts anti brexit messages on their receipt it's obvious the response they are trying to illicit - most business owners are apolitical because bringing politics in to your business is just bad for business. He clearly did it to either illicit these responses at the best or at the very worst is making up the death threats. That's something there is also a documented history of - lefties reporting they have been victims of some form of right-wing oppression but then have had to admit to police it was made up.

Robinson plays with Islam. Hardly surprising. I agree Mogg's children getting shouted at was disgusting. And I detest him.

Soubry has had multiple death threats. Even her elderly (senior) mother has had them. Soubry has had to have up to 6 coppers (police) guarding her.

As for propaganda on paper, why not just copy somebody else's hard work? FYI, Tim Martin is the largest private independent owner of pubs (bars) here - Wetherspoons.

http://www.cityam.com/271878/wetherspoons-boss-tim-martin-defends-column-copying-pub

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
16 minutes ago, localhero1983 said:

I know jonb2

Brexiteers are bad bad people and Remainers are sugar and spice and all things nice

I have seen Falling Down. It's excellent.

Now. You have taken me out of context. I was replying to an insinuation. That the restaurant that printed anti-Brexit stuff on their receipt has received death threats - was a made up thing. IOW, they were lying.

HOLA4423
1 minute ago, jonb2 said:

Robinson plays with Islam. Hardly surprising. I agree Mogg's children getting shouted at was disgusting. And I detest him.

Soubry has had multiple death threats. Even her elderly (senior) mother has had them. Soubry has had to have up to 6 coppers (police) guarding her.

As for propaganda on paper, why not just copy somebody else's hard work? FYI, Tim Martin is the largest private independent owner of pubs (bars) here - Wetherspoons.

http://www.cityam.com/271878/wetherspoons-boss-tim-martin-defends-column-copying-pub

Hardly surprising? So you think muslims are a murderous bunch incapable of restraint? They are not. The vast, vast majority of muslims (especially western ones) are normal peaceful people. Many probably agree with the Tommy on opposing extremist islam.

I didn't actually know wetherspoons did a magazine - had no idea. We have one here and I've never seen it but then again when I've gone there it's been for a beer and not to read a magazine.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425