House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
51 minutes ago, ccc said:

And ? 

A multitude of countries have visa free travel for us and vice versa. We aren't talking FOM to come and live here. Or vice versa. It's just whether someone fills in an online form prior to coming here or gets their passport stamped when they arrive. 

Not if you are from Turkey (or much of the rest of the world) it isn't. It's massive cost, intrusive interviews, lots of supporting documentation and a high risk of being rejected either on application or arrival because the immigration officer suspects you may overstay.

HOLA442
HOLA443
8 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Not if you are from Turkey (or much of the rest of the world) it isn't. It's massive cost, intrusive interviews, lots of supporting documentation and a high risk of being rejected either on application or arrival because the immigration officer suspects you may overstay.

£93 and if coming here on holiday they apply for a standard visitor visa like a large number of other countries.

Massive cost ? £93. Hardly. 

14 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Because the truth is we aren't any more. The days when the UK could impose it's rules standards etc. on other countries are over. NB the UK isn't technically a country either.

We are a mid size state that will have to align itself with one of the major trade blocks. EU or US those are our only realistic choices.  

Why do you keep making up nonsense narratives for other people, you may be unable to deal with the complex realities of life but try to accept that most other people can.

Please step back into the real world. The world's 5th /6th largest economy out of OVER TWO HUNDRED cannot be described as "mid sized".

Jeez. This is painful. 

HOLA444

12 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

We are an independent sovereign country.

Semi sovereign at present. Will be more so once we leave ;-).

2 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

If you watch last weeks This Week, you will see Portillo admit that there never was a risk of the UK being dragged into closer union.

If even a Brexit fanatic like him can see that why cannot you  

I disagree.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
5 minutes ago, thehowler said:

White paper out next month, they'll have to declare on their customs plan by then.

I'm calling CP with all kinds of EU caveats and the HoC passing it through.

Does it has any chance to go through HoC and EU? What's the numbers to support it?

HOLA448
HOLA449
2 hours ago, ccc said:

Compared to the US , China and the EU - which isn't even a country :lol:.

Clutching at straws in the extreme here.

What's the problem with just admitting we are a big hitter ? It's the truth. There is no denying it. So why not ? I know it doesn't fit with the narrative of poor wee us crawling around begging Burkino Faso to deal with us - but well - too bad - it's true. 

If you think we're a big hitter compared to the EU "which isn't even a country", how do you explain why we keep conceding to the EU in Brexit negotiations?

HOLA4410
16 minutes ago, thehowler said:

White paper out next month, they'll have to declare on their customs plan by then.

I'm calling CP with all kinds of EU caveats and the HoC passing it through.

Does it has support insight Tory party? How is the PM going to please hard Brexiters?

HOLA4411
2 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Our economy is bigger than Canada, Russia, South Korea, Australia, Brazil.

main-qimg-b7a09a65dafd8cbdeeca82e178e71f

Well those numbers are pretty sobering - we are walking away from having 95% of our way over one of the few  global collosuses to have smaller European countries lording it over us ? 

It’s like going from being Sir Alex Ferguson to Sam Allardyce.

HOLA4412
3 minutes ago, pig said:

Well those numbers are pretty sobering - we are walking away from having 95% of our way over one of the few  global collosuses to have smaller European countries lording it over us ? 

More like Arsene Wenger's career.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
23 minutes ago, pig said:

Odd analogy. I detest football - so struggle with it. Isn’t one of the critisms of the premiership that the average fan, home grown talent, and grass roots foundations have been squeezed out by a super national orgnisation...

Edited by GrizzlyDave

HOLA4415
1 minute ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Odd analogy. I detest football - so struggle with it. Isn’t one of the critisms of the premiership is that the average fan, home grown talent, and grass roots foundations have been squeezed out by a super national orgnisation...

The ex head of the WTO Pascal Lamy used a football analogy to describe our decision to leave the single market for the WTO.

IIRC He said it makes as much sense as Manchester United voting to leave the Premier League and join the second division.   

HOLA4416
10 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Do you need a supranational organisation to enforce global standards?

Regulation and standards are not the same thing so if I ignore the false premise of your question the answer is yes.  The alternative is a kind of regulatory imperialism where you contract it out to the US or EU.

HOLA4417
3 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

The ex head of the WTO Pascal Lamy used a football analogy to describe our decision to leave the single market for the WTO.

IIRC He said it makes as much sense as Manchester United voting to leave the Premier League and join the second division.   

The price of freedom?

victory_2-1600x900-c-default.jpg?resize=

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
9 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

And they will overstay. Look how much fun the US has with illegals.

HOLA4421
11 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Odd analogy. I detest football - so struggle with it. Isn’t one of the critisms of the premiership that the average fan, home grown talent, and grass roots foundations have been squeezed out by a super national orgnisation...

Now that is stretching  the analogy pretty far !

I guess you could extrapolate from your stats and argue the problem with the premier league was similarly homegrown by an indigenous elite and similarly we’ll now be way more vulnerable to being ‘squeezed’ by both countries we are desperate for deals with and supra-national  business/organisations.

Looks great for those at the top though ;)

Edited by pig

HOLA4422
11 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Just remind me please, who is in charge of FA? I see a lot of similarities with Brexit.

(FA - The Football Association - is the governing body of association football in England)

HOLA4423
12 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

If you think we're a big hitter compared to the EU "which isn't even a country", how do you explain why we keep conceding to the EU in Brexit negotiations?

The EU isn't a country. This is fairly easy to understand. The statement made was that we are not a big hitter anymore. We are a 'middle' ground country. That is nonsense. We are 5/6 out of about 200.

4 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

And they will overstay. Look how much fun the US has with illegals.

This happens everywhere. Luckily the majority of people choose not to be illegal. There is not a hell of a lot you can do to prevent people going somewhere on holiday and deciding to overstay.

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, rollover said:

Just remind me please, who is in charge of FA? I see a lot of similarities with Brexit.

(FA - The Football Association - is the governing body of association football in England)

The FA is a patsy.

Sky is the true master.

140716092258-rupert-murdoch-nov-2013-sto

May-and-Junker-to-discuss-Brexit-talks-i

Edited by GrizzlyDave

HOLA4425
11 minutes ago, ccc said:

The EU isn't a country. This is fairly easy to understand. The statement made was that we are not a big hitter anymore. We are a 'middle' ground country. That is nonsense. We are 5/6 out of about 200.

This happens everywhere. Luckily the majority of people choose not to be illegal.  There is not a hell of a lot you can do to prevent people going somewhere on holiday and deciding to overstay.

So what. We are too small to influence the ones that matter. 

The majority arriving from rich countries choose not to overstay. However, a lot arriving from poorer countries do and that's why we have such strict rules at the moment, and still have +1m illegals.

As I said from the start of this thread the only difference Brexit will make to immigration is that the immigrants will be from the sub continent rather than EEs.