House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
Just now, HairyOb1 said:

I can't see how, to be honest.

In this I agree, yes, being part of EFTA/EEA means only seeking agreement from 4 countries, most of whom are aligned

In the joint EFTA EU joint committee; and the bigger influence we can have on global rules, which feed down to the creation on EU regs for two as a kick off..

HOLA442
1 minute ago, ccc said:

6th largest world economy.

Anyone who thinks we are anything other than a very big fish in whatever pond we end up in - is completely delusional. 

And this is despite our useless politicians in charge of this entire affair. 

Of course we will do so much better when the Brexit fiasco ends with Corbyn in charge.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
3 minutes ago, thehowler said:

All this talk of EFTA/EEA - but nobody in government has raised this as a possibility. Even Keir Starmer doesn't want it, has been explicit - and he's not up to politically deft subterfuge.

We're going to get CP, full CU or a snap election.

I think it's being set up, like Dave, to fall Into EEA as part of the grace period being set, currently, to Dec 2020 (possibly May 2023)

HOLA448
HOLA449
10 minutes ago, thehowler said:

All this talk of EFTA/EEA - but nobody in government has raised this as a possibility. Even Keir Starmer doesn't want it, has been explicit - and he's not up to politically deft subterfuge.

We're going to get CP, full CU or a snap election.

I follow Sir Keir Starmer on twitter and I think this is EXACTLY what he is working on.

HOLA4410
6 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

I follow Sir Keir Starmer on twitter and I think this is EXACTLY what he is working on.

So if he gets EFTA and then all EU members to say yes to membership - during transition, is that your view? - even though he's not in government, what's he then going to do about the NI border? EEA is not the same open passage as Single Market border controls. And, how does he deal with third country imports, Japanese motors for example? They would not be able to cross over EU borders the way they do now if we were in an EEA agreement.

Trouble with this idea is that we've got it going on, the old UK, and EEA countries really don't. We're too big a player.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
3 minutes ago, thehowler said:

So if he gets EFTA and then all EU members to say yes to membership - during transition, is that your view? - even though he's not in government, what's he then going to do about the NI border? EEA is not the same open passage as Single Market border controls. And, how does he deal with third country imports, Japanese motors for example? They would not be able to cross over EU borders the way they do now if we were in an EEA agreement.

Trouble with this idea is that we've got it going on, the old UK, and EEA countries really don't. We're too big a player.

He is a strong voice who can lead a majority when the general HoC vote comes on this. If not him, there are plenty of others who will. We are days away from this vote now. So much path laying is going on, it’s very clear to me.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
1 minute ago, GrizzlyDave said:

He is a strong voice who can lead a majority when the general HoC vote comes on this.

You seriously think Starmer is going to lead a breakaway group insisting the government strive to join EEA?

I suppose you think Labour feverishly whipping their Lords to vote against the amendment was all part of the cunning plan?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

And there is no majority in the HoC for EEA. There are many MPs who'd like to stay in the SM/CU and wish that Brexit had never happened, but they do not wake up in the morning and think, oh great, we can join the EEA.

Edited by thehowler

HOLA4418
1 minute ago, thehowler said:

You seriously think Starmer is going to lead a breakaway group insisting the government strive to join EEA?

I suppose you think Labour feverishly whipping their Lords to vote against the amendment was all part of the cunning plan?

Yes.

No, it's not. As Starmer pointed out in his Marr interview this weekend.

The EEA enables non EU countries to access the SM.

HOLA4419

And there is no majority in the HoC for EEA. There are many MPs who'd like to stay in the SM/CU and wish that Brexit had never happened, but they do not wake up in the morning and think, oh great, we can join the EEA.

I’m just calling it how I see it bro.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
55 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Of course we will do so much better when the Brexit fiasco ends with Corbyn in charge.

That's not the point. We ain't a small insignificant country however many time a number of remain supporters like to inform us all of. 

54 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

This must be a wind up

Nope. 

39 minutes ago, rollover said:

You are just being silly! Aren't you?

No the people being silly were those who gave their reason for voting remain as "We will have longer queues when we go on holiday to Spain".

:lol: 

HOLA4425