House Price Crash Forum

Q For The Unemployed, Retired, And Rentier Capitalists Amongst You...

justthisbloke

HOLA441

...how often do you shave?

Until now, I've always worked in an office so I've conformed to the expectation that I'll be clean shaven everyday and not look too dishevelled, well worn, or partied-out. But as an unemployed layabout, I'll not need to conform in this manner and can look as grizzled as I fancy.

However, leaving it too long between razor sessions tends to wreck blades and take a long time. So, what's the sweet spot for intervals between shaves?

NB (1) A beard is, sadly, not an option - I'm an oppressed married man, and Mrs JTB has invoked her veto on this. Personally I quite like the idea of a mega-beard in the tradition of Victorian preachers and Islamic radicals.

NB (2) The Q is really aimed at blokes. Women shaving and what they shave is another topic altogether. However, female opinions on the ideal grizzliness of a bloke are welcome.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Once a week on a friday i shave my head too, if you want to grow a bit of a beard then if you buy a set of hair clippers you can use them to shave your beard down enough to then use a wet razor on it, saves blunting and catching.

I wet shave my head with a gillette mach3 this has to be done every 3-4 days otherwise clippers are required to get it short enough for the razor.

Or if you really want to slum it and save on razors just buy some hair clippers from argos for about £20 and use them for head & face, rock the stuble look all year round..

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

...how often do you shave?

Until now, I've always worked in an office so I've conformed to the expectation that I'll be clean shaven everyday and not look too dishevelled, well worn, or partied-out. But as an unemployed layabout, I'll not need to conform in this manner and can look as grizzled as I fancy.

However, leaving it too long between razor sessions tends to wreck blades and take a long time. So, what's the sweet spot for intervals between shaves?

NB (1) A beard is, sadly, not an option - I'm an oppressed married man, and Mrs JTB has invoked her veto on this. Personally I quite like the idea of a mega-beard in the tradition of Victorian preachers and Islamic radicals.

NB (2) The Q is really aimed at blokes. Women shaving and what they shave is another topic altogether. However, female opinions on the ideal grizzliness of a bloke are welcome.

Option (1) find a good Turkish barber locally. Its a real treat and they get right in there, once a week should do.

Option (2) learn how to shave, properly!

Option (3) tell your wife to ram it. Grow a beard and be a man! Spend some money on a good quality trimmer.

HOLA447

Or if you really want to slum it and save on razors just buy some hair clippers from argos for about £20 and use them for head & face, rock the stuble look all year round..

that's pretty effective, I've found, got to be careful with the clippers though.

When I worked (work) in an office, every other day, either at work or the night before although preference is at work so boss pays for my shaving.

Otherwise up to 7 days but DTMark's 3/4 day cycle is probably better.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Don't have a beard. Only shave if I'm going to be seen. So, if at all, it is usually Monday - Friday. Rarely shave when on holiday until I hit civilisation again. One Wilkinson Sword Protector 3D head will last me at least 6 months shaving 5 days a week with the occasional 'buff up' of the blade on my arm.. that is more than enough information about my personal habits.

HOLA4410

If my beard gets too long, I use the hair clippers on it to get it down to a couple of mm, then raze the rest off with a trusty bic.

Out of work for a fortnight, beard is quite nice.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Once a month, when the bouncers start barring you entry.

I got a new hair/beard strimmer recently, and it's in a different class to those ones from a few years ago that used to make a loud clanking noise and numb your hand with the vibration. Worth 20 quid.

I did think my pits needed doing today but I really hate doing them. Vive la difference!

Works there too.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I work in an office and aren't that regular about shaving. I'm there to do my job, not look manicured, so I regard expecting more than a reasonably token effort to look suitable for an office would just get my contempt (unless I was going to be in a meeting with someone external that day). I hardly ever bother ironing clothes for the same reason. So I shave every three or four days. It's not stand out unshaved-looking with my colour hair anyway.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I tried to grow a beard once but ended up looking like a cross between Fagin and the character on the front of the Jethro Tull album Aqualung. In the end it was not the look but the fact the beard felt scratchy that made me get rid of it. I now rarely go more than a day without shaving even though it is something I don't enjoy doing.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I got into 'proper' shaving e.g. using a safety razor, double-edge razor blades, good quality shaving cream/soap and a badger-hair shaving brush. Shaves really close and by god it's manly. I'm not that 'hairy' on my face and if I did try and grow a beard I'd just look like some proper tramps-ar$e with patchy bits on my chops. So I just shave every 2-3 days. I work in an office, but it's IT related and I don't really meet people much, plus it's not a corporate environment so relatively relaxed.

As my bonce hair is thinning and receeding I do have to get the clippers on it at least every week, sometimes do it mid-week too. Number zero, for the phil mitchell look :)

HOLA4424

Personally, I like it dirty. A few days growth on a man rather than clean shaven any day.

How about ten years without seeing a razor or a bath? Having to shack up in badger setts, and avoid Volvos. Most of my adopted sett did not like Volvos. :(

HOLA4425

How about ten years without seeing a razor or a bath? Having to shack up in badger setts, and avoid Volvos. Most of my adopted sett did not like Volvos. :(

I suppose you need the ten years without a razor before the badgers let you in, knowing that they'll be safe from having their hair pulled out for a brush.

Archived