House Price Crash Forum

Volkswagen....merged Threads

SpewLabour

HOLA441

So in a nutshell??

VAG cheated on the emissions test to disguise the level of NoX being produced?

If they had complied with the tests the diesel engines would have had a significant reduction in power?

Diesels are being pushed on the public as they produce less Co2 even though they produce more particulates and NoX which are linked to respiratory diseases and death?

Co2 is a non pollutant trace gas and an essential plant food.

All this is in essence is a result of a non proven hypothesis that anthropogenic Co2 is causing global warming?

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Thing I'm thinking about is whether or not these are actually possible to fix if the difference is that major.

Has anyone got one of these ?

Yeah, remap by the dealership. Trouble is you'll get worse performance and economy.

Diesels were already getting ridiculously expensive to produce. God knows how much they'll cost if they're made to pass the tests properly.

Petrol is such a wonderful fuel. AFAIK it's the only fuel which is easily stored as a liquid and readily vapourised for clean combustion.

HOLA446
HOLA447
When all this fully unravels, I want a Vehicle Tax rebate for my penalised petrol engine, that for years have been subsidising these falsely claiming environmentally cleaner diesel units. Plus I expect those people who paid a premium purchasing falsely environmentally cleaner diesel cars will want a slice of their cash back, when their vehicles are allocated the correct emissions banding (yet another miss selling hand out). :rolleyes:
One molecule of N2O has the same greenhouse warming power of 300 molecules of carbon dioxide. Once that N2O molecule gets into the upper atmosphere, it can stay there for more than 100 years before it’s destroyed naturally.

Fortunately, air has about 1,000 times less N2O than carbon dioxide. But the rise in N2O has accelerated over the past two decades...

HOLA448
HOLA449

It probably is possible to fix, but at the expense of economy.

My big problem is I work for the world's leading diesel exhaust system manufacturer (and yes, we have the VW account). Share price has cratered today, it's a really, really tough time for us at the minute and this is just the icing on the cake. I think this will spell the end of diesel in light duty applications and judging by our share price so does the market.

HOLA4410

One molecule of N2O has the same greenhouse warming power of 300 molecules of carbon dioxide. Once that N2O molecule gets into the upper atmosphere, it can stay there for more than 100 years before it’s destroyed naturally.Fortunately, air has about 1,000 times less N2O than carbon dioxide. But the rise in N2O has accelerated over the past two decades...

They do produce about 1000 times less N2O than CO2 though.

About 80 mg per KM as opposed to, what, 120g / km.

It is interesting that since oil security increased with shale gas the interest seems to have shifted from CO2 to environmental pollution concerns. Just an observation.

If we all move back to petrol we're going to quite significantly increase our fuel usage and CO2 output.

HOLA4411

Other manufacturers must surely have wondered how VW achieved such low levels of pollution. Did they ask questions? It would seem not.

Which makes me suspect that other manufacturers knew what was going on, and did not complain because they did the same.

Audi & Porsche are close to VW for a start.

I think this scandal is going to be much bigger than it is now.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Other manufacturers must surely have wondered how VW achieved such low levels of pollution. Did they ask questions? It would seem not.

Which makes me suspect that other manufacturers knew what was going on, and did not complain because they did the same.

I would suspect the first thing every manufacturer does when a rival launches a new car is buy an example and take it completely apart.

HOLA4415

My big problem is I work for the world's leading diesel exhaust system manufacturer (and yes, we have the VW account). Share price has cratered today, it's a really, really tough time for us at the minute and this is just the icing on the cake. I think this will spell the end of diesel in light duty applications and judging by our share price so does the market.

Sorry to hear that FO

Hope you won't be affected personally :(

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I imagine the US lawyers are going to have a field day here with class action lawsuits.

Firstly, we could have various US states actually banning VW cars. Then we could have car owners suing for the purchase price of their cars. On top of that we could have all sorts of health, environmentalist organisations suing VW in more class action lawsuits.

There is another question here also for company car drivers.

Tax is based on emissions, presumably the UK Govt has been shortchanged.

HOLA4419

Can't believe VW was so stupid, even in the land of the engineer, the cult of Anglo-American style management is taking over.

Can't say this is any better behaviour than investment banks "picking up pennies in front of a steamroller".

The German engineering mentality is a myth. I've worked there extensively. They're no more or less likely to cheat than anyone else.

HOLA4420

So in a nutshell??

VAG cheated on the emissions test to disguise the level of NoX being produced?

If they had complied with the tests the diesel engines would have had a significant reduction in power?

Diesels are being pushed on the public as they produce less Co2 even though they produce more particulates and NoX which are linked to respiratory diseases and death?

Co2 is a non pollutant trace gas and an essential plant food.

All this is in essence is a result of a non proven hypothesis that anthropogenic Co2 is causing global warming?

Barking is it not?

It is a bit like telling people not to drink soda water because of its C02 content and then encouraging everyone to smoke 20 fags a day.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived