Wet Shaving - Not Had This Discussion For A While

Frank Hovis

HOLA441
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Butterfly safety razor, started using it around two years ago, primarily because of a thread on here. Can't believe the difference it's made to my skin (took a good month or so for my skin to accept it though) and shave length is the best I've ever had. Oh and I've spent the princely sum of around £10 on safety blades in that time

cc022.jpg

HOLA444

Start with a clean from dermalogica brush / soap, then:

Badger brush, Merkur safety razor (think 15C although might go for the barbers pole next, oo-er!), Derby or Feather blades bought on ebay 100 at a time, and Geo F Trumper limes or coconut shaving cream.

Finish with an astringent like TendSkin

HOLA445
HOLA446

Use a Phillshave I bought 40 years ago. Still works like new and haven't had to replace anytthing.

I'd throw the razor, and get a new face!

HOLA447

Switched to a wet shave once due to a broken shaver and nothing else available at the time, and found it a much better shave that didn't take as long and didn't irritate my skin anywhere near as much. Ever since then I've not seen the point of electric shavers. I use foam. I find shaving without it is very uncomfortable unless the blade is almost brand new (I've tried it on the odd patch I've missed). Gel doesn't clean off as easily as foam which is why I don't use that (unless going abroad since it doesn't come in an aerosol).

HOLA448

even considering having a go at the ears and eyebrows soon :unsure:

Last time I got a haircut, the barber hesitated for a moment, then ran the grading razor across my eyebrows, and it was only afterwards that I was aware they had become a bit bushy. First time that's happened and actually made me feel pretty old.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Razor: cheapo double edged razor from ebay.

Blades: Derby double edged blades, about sixpence each in multipacks from Amazon. They last 1-2 weeks.

Soap: Palmolive shave stick, 49p from Tesco. Lasts about six months if you use it sparingly.

Brush: cheapo bristle brush (about £2-) from Ebay. I've had badger brushes but they are expensive and wear out quickly (I used up two in ten years, which at around £25 each is unacceptable level of amortization for me.)

Mach 3 blades or cartridges are ok but only if you hand-strop them. That way they will last up to two years (Mach 3) or about 3 months (cheap cartridges).

HOLA4411

Not forgetting every hpc tightwad accessory....

Just grow a beard, and it looks better in a "biker pub".

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Agree with this, but still do this over the sink. Just use wet face cloth thingy to open up pores. Providing the water is hot enough and the razor is sharp, then no gel/cream/soap is needed.

I use disposables, and I only ever use them once!

a good hot damp flanel for 2 or 3 minutes does the trick.

and yes, I think disposables are generally better+cleaner......if you wash the blade after you can get maybe 2 or 3 shaves.

problem with the fixed blade ones is it's very easy to leave the blade too long, and if you don't wash it properly you still have blood/hair/skin residue that can harbour bacteria and cause infections/acne

HOLA4414

I did a lot of research into the single blade wet shaving thing - came close to splashing out £100 on a razor and the various bits - as the amoutn of posts online from people recommending it was amazing.

Then I found all the posts from people who said it was a disaster... that their skin was terrible afterwards... and that it took too long.

I wet shave but I use the gillette razor blades and use hotukdeals to find blades cheaply. I don't shave every day. I have found wetting my face and then rubbing in hair condiitioner and leaving it for 5 to 10 minutes does wonders for softening my whiskers and making a shave easier.

I don't shave every day though. I also have an electric beard trimmer which I use to keep my beard low when I am not shaving.

I find that the scruffier I look, with more stubble, the more sexual attraction that I get from women. Some women appear to prefer clean shaven men but they appear to be hugely outnumbered by women who like men looking like a bit of rough. Well, we all know why...

HOLA4415

I did a lot of research into the single blade wet shaving thing - came close to splashing out £100 on a razor and the various bits - as the amoutn of posts online from people recommending it was amazing.

Then I found all the posts from people who said it was a disaster... that their skin was terrible afterwards... and that it took too long.

I wet shave but I use the gillette razor blades and use hotukdeals to find blades cheaply. I don't shave every day. I have found wetting my face and then rubbing in hair condiitioner and leaving it for 5 to 10 minutes does wonders for softening my whiskers and making a shave easier.

I don't shave every day though. I also have an electric beard trimmer which I use to keep my beard low when I am not shaving.

I find that the scruffier I look, with more stubble, the more sexual attraction that I get from women. Some women appear to prefer clean shaven men but they appear to be hugely outnumbered by women who like men looking like a bit of rough. Well, we all know why...

Shaving gel/cream/soap is a rip-off, pure marketing. All soap will do the same trick, it's just a lubricant.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Not forgetting every hpc tightwad accessory....

Flagrant extravagance. What when a dab of Autosol on the back of a belt will do a better job of stropping.

Maybe even Anusol if that's handy, but I haven't tried that out yet.

I've already mentioned this on earlier threads but I've been graced with a coarse, curly beard, which is awesome whenever I'm impersonating a rabbi. Not so awesome when not and those curly little buggers start growing back into your face when you shave them (Pseudofolliculitis barbae). Pre conversion to safety razors, daily shaving, and running a multi-blade or electric razor over a rash, was a miserable necessity. It's not been an issue since I switched over to safety razors.

HOLA4418

Just had a shave and this thread pops up - spooky!

I've tried all the expensive multi-blade swivel-headed shite over the years, but now use one of these safety razors I got from Boots in Durham a year or two ago. I think it was £3.50 including 5 blades. I use Tesco's blades at £1.80 for 10 now the ones that came with it have worn out. Shaves great - and a splash of Blue Stratos afterwards will have me fighting the bitches off...! ;)

wilkinson-sword-classic-maszynka-do-gole

classic_icons.png

XYY

HOLA4419

I dug the nose hair trimmers out for the first time in ages today...even considering having a go at the ears and eyebrows soon :unsure:

Nose and eyebrows I can cope with, sort of.

Ears no, not so well at all. I'm still casting around for a system/ implement that does a reliable job. Lately, I've been toying with the application of fire, Turkish barber style.

HOLA4420

Erm. I'm going to regret asking this....but what is 'anusol'? It doesn't sound appropriate for one's face anyway.

Can't swear to it mate as I'm not a sufferer - but I believe it's an ointment that relieves the discomfort of what Londoners refer to as 'Farmer-Giles'...

;)

XYY

HOLA4421

What about shaving chests, underarms and ****? Some of the odder ones on here must have some rib-tickling anecdotes.

Me, I use a straight razor, it's lovely for the face but I'm not man enough to wield it "elsewhere".

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Erm. I'm going to regret asking this....but what is 'anusol'? It doesn't sound appropriate for one's face anyway.

It's one of those things you're best off not knowing, at least not through direct personal experience. I've got a tube in the bathroom, and its not for shaving :)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Can't swear to it mate as I'm not a sufferer - but I believe it's an ointment that relieves the discomfort of what Londoners refer to as 'Farmer-Giles'...

;)

XYY

I believe the hint is in the name! ANUSol. :wacko:

Archived