House Price Crash Forum

A Minute's Silence.

HOLA441

I hate to say it but minute silences are truly overdone.

I feel sorry for football fans, virtually every match these days seems to start with a minute's silence. Loses its meaning.

The families and friends can observe a minute's silence...but the whole country? I think it starts to seem like its part of a propaganda campaign to get us to agree to bomb arabia.

Sorry to those affected but hope they understand my views. It is much the same as making sure you get bodies off the road as soon as possible rather than closing the damn thing all day "because someone's died". How many lives are lost sitting in traffic jams?

Agreed. I thought it was just me that felt like this today.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Not sure if I take your meaning correctly, but there's hardly a year has went by over the last two centuries that British service men and women haven't given their lives. Whether you agree that those lives were well spent is irrelevant imo.

If we ever get to a point where X amount of years have passed without loss, then maybe it will be time to draw that line.... although that won't be in my lifetime I fear.

Couldn't disagree more.

If you are in the military you run the risk of getting yourself killed. Is it a sad loss, yes, but it doesn't need recognition. They made the choice.

Edit : Just to add that my comment was made in relation to 'war ones' as mentioned. Never once have I considered Remembrance day about military in general and I think many others would feel the same. Respect and remember the sacrifice of those in the two world wars, but if it extends beyond that then all it does is demonstrate clearly it's not fit for purpose as we haven't learnt anything for close to two hours of cumulative 1 minute reflections in the past 96 years.

HOLA444

Everybody is entitled to their personal view on this.

Mine is that it was to commemorate the sheer slaughter of the First World War hence the poppy and the 11am on 11 November timing. Once the last soldier, Harry Patch, died that was it for me in that form. Up until then I had worn a poppy to work that week every year but I don't anymore.

People are perfectly entitled to roll up all other conflicts into it if they want but that was not why I was participating.

It was to remember those that gave their lives, those that fought for what the believed in and just as importantly to remember the sheer horrific nature of the event so we don't let it happen again. Didn't last too long.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Didn't follow the 7/7 one way back when (despite being in London on the day, and the missus being 20 mins behind one of the bombs) - certainly wasn't going to bother for this.

Feels mawkish to me - and something inside rebels against collective mourning/grief for people I didn't know - especially if any politicians are behind it. Diminishes grief I think.

HOLA448

Didn't follow the 7/7 one way back when (despite being in London on the day, and the missus being 20 mins behind one of the bombs) - certainly wasn't going to bother for this.

Feels mawkish to me - and something inside rebels against collective mourning/grief for people I didn't know - especially if any politicians are behind it. Diminishes grief I think.

dont worry, there'll be another one along on 7/7 next week. Official.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33314689

HOLA449

All mass murder is bad......I would suspect there is a reason why the media is high profile at the moment......future actions will need to be justified. ;)

Looks like they want to bomb Syria again, only this time they want to help Assad instead of ISIS.

That's what they were discussing on R4 a while ago anyway..

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Couldn't disagree more.

If you are in the military you run the risk of getting yourself killed. Is it a sad loss, yes, but it doesn't need recognition. They made the choice.

Edit : Just to add that my comment was made in relation to 'war ones' as mentioned. Never once have I considered Remembrance day about military in general and I think many others would feel the same. Respect and remember the sacrifice of those in the two world wars, but if it extends beyond that then all it does is demonstrate clearly it's not fit for purpose as we haven't learnt anything for close to two hours of cumulative 1 minute reflections in the past 96 years.

Believe me, members of the various military services HATE rememberance services. It's the civvies that organise these things. The only thing your average squaddie looks for from the taxpayer is a decent wage and help for those mates that come back crippled (never going to be me, of course). You can shove the rest!

Once your out for a decade or two, getting old and fat, you remember those that didn't make it. We lost a few guys in NI, we also lost a guy in the Balkans (I was in a different mob then) due to an RTA. "War ones"? Probably not, but they're just as dead, and I still remember them....

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest eight

Believe me, members of the various military services HATE rememberance services. It's the civvies that organise these things. The only thing your average squaddie looks for from the taxpayer is a decent wage and help for those mates that come back crippled (never going to be me, of course). You can shove the rest!

Once your out for a decade or two, getting old and fat, you remember those that didn't make it. We lost a few guys in NI, we also lost a guy in the Balkans (I was in a different mob then) due to an RTA. "War ones"? Probably not, but they're just as dead, and I still remember them....

Those that died at Kings Cross or Moorgate are just as dead as those who died on 7/7 but we don't routinely remember them either.

HOLA4415
Guest TheBlueCat

Serious question, what's the point?

If it makes the families of the victims feel a bit better then it's worth it, otherwise agreed a bit pointless.

HOLA4416

I really don't get this about the people on this site, and the British more generally. You whinge on and on about getting the short end of the stick on house prices as if someone owes you something, then turn around and say that the concept of a nation with attendant rights and duties is somehow irrelevant. If someone owes you the right to buy a house at a reasonable price, then don't you probably owe them something too? Or I could be completely off track here and in this dog-eat-dog world no one owes anyone anything.

HOLA4417

I really don't get this about the people on this site, and the British more generally. You whinge on and on about getting the short end of the stick on house prices as if someone owes you something, then turn around and say that the concept of a nation with attendant rights and duties is somehow irrelevant. If someone owes you the right to buy a house at a reasonable price, then don't you probably owe them something too? Or I could be completely off track here and in this dog-eat-dog world no one owes anyone anything.

Pointing out the lunacy of ever-increasing house prices built upon a near-zero interest rates policy and council taxes that form a tiny fraction of the value of the most expensive houses is hardly saying somebody owes you something; merely that you have a reasonable expectation that the government will pursue responsible economic policy. And it isn't.

HOLA4418

No-one owes me anything. But I get irate if people take my stuff and get in the way of my private, personal projects. AIBU?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Problem is these periods of mourning seem to be dangerously contagious. There was a minute's silence after 9/11 which seemed to be quite quickly followed by regular further periods of mourning through Wooton Bassett.

If TPTB seem keen to draw your attention to some terrible tragedy it generally seems to indicate they've got some much bigger tragedies, for some other British families, up their sleeves.

HOLA4421

I've been subject to a couple of employer-organised 1-minute silences while at work, which I find a bit objectionable.

The keeping silent for 1 minute isn't really a problem. It's all the pious announcements beforehand, and the fact that all the employees are expected to gather together somewhere and watch each other remaining silent for a minute.

HOLA4422

I've been subject to a couple of employer-organised 1-minute silences while at work, which I find a bit objectionable.

The keeping silent for 1 minute isn't really a problem. It's all the pious announcements beforehand, and the fact that all the employees are expected to gather together somewhere and watch each other remaining silent for a minute.

Why not pull faces at people and see if you can make them laugh?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived