House Price Crash Forum

A Minute's Silence.

HOLA441
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

When you're at work / school you go along with it. As you do for the countless other minor inconveniences that come with being a member of a large social group.

Everybody is allowed to be a full individual on their own time.

I would think it odd if somebody at work didn't observe it; similarly I would think it odd if everybody in a shopping precinct suddenly stopped silently for a minute.

By happenstance I was in Sainsbury's at ten to twelve on Friday when the tannoy announced the silence would be being observed and the checkout operaters would stop work.

As luck would have it by twelve I was perusing ales down the beer aisle's as the whole place stopped dead (I was still there at ten past TBF). I also remember the same kind of thing happening in another supermarket I worked at (may have been something to do with 9/11 or 7/7) where some foreigners kept rambling as shopping while everyone else was deadly silent - the wonder of 'culture'!

HOLA443

Neo-Stoic Wayne Dyer in his book "Erroneous Zones" tells how while serving in the Navy on an aircraft carrier, he, along with the whole ship's company were obliged to line the deck spelling out the message "Hi Ike" as a greeting to the President who would be flying over the fleet. Dyer thought it was silly but rather than create a fuss, he instead discovered an urgent need for the toilet at the appointed time, with the result that the i in Hi ended up with a slightly smaller dot over it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Erroneous-Zones-negative-thinking/dp/0749939850/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436279531&sr=8-1&keywords=wayne+dyer+erroneous+zones

I generally leave the house at 11.01am on occasions such as these.

HOLA444

By happenstance I was in Sainsbury's at ten to twelve on Friday when the tannoy announced the silence would be being observed and the checkout operaters would stop work.

As luck would have it by twelve I was perusing ales down the beer aisle's as the whole place stopped dead (I was still there at ten past TBF). I also remember the same kind of thing happening in another supermarket I worked at (may have been something to do with 9/11 or 7/7) where some foreigners kept rambling as shopping while everyone else was deadly silent - the wonder of 'culture'!

They probably assumed it was Flash-Mob:

HOLA445

I really don't get this about the people on this site, and the British more generally. You whinge on and on about getting the short end of the stick on house prices as if someone owes you something, then turn around and say that the concept of a nation with attendant rights and duties is somehow irrelevant. If someone owes you the right to buy a house at a reasonable price, then don't you probably owe them something too? Or I could be completely off track here and in this dog-eat-dog world no one owes anyone anything.

I have a house so have no need to, and indeed do not, whinge on this topic. Would be nice if the Govt wasn't deliberately making it harder for my fellow citizens to enjoy the same. Country boundaries seem fairly arbitrary to me, and it seems extremely difficult to pin down what being British is nowadays. But the freedom to have a healthy disrespect for anything politicians/the establishment come up with is definitely part of it. If they are making a big deal of something, then the best approach is often to run in the opposite direction.

Lots of people I don't know die everyday - in the UK and around the world. Quite often in unpleasant ways. Should I have a silence for them too?

Periods of reflection are good - but I don't need people to tell me when to take them, or what the topic of reflection should be.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest eight

and it seems extremely difficult to pin down what being British is nowadays.

Generally the left leaning media depict as something along the lines of a Sikh in a Union Jack suit high-fiving a couple of mid-snog butch lesbians whilst riding a unicycle across a landscape of thatched cottages and graffiti riddled urban squalor.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

By coincidence I was in Sainsburys this morning when an announcement said "We will now be observing a minute's silence". As it happened it was failry silent anyway but the weirdest thing happened. Nearly everybody who was already silent immediately stopped moving. It was as if they had said "we will now be observing a minute's immobility" instead. People pushing trolley's stopped in their tracks, motionless. A man reaching for something next to me stood perfectly still staring at the shelf. It was like a scene from a zombie movie.

Anyway, good to see the terrorists haven't achieved their aim of bringing the entire country to a standstill.

HOLA4411

I refrained from farting for the whole minute today.

This whole organised minutes silence thing for complete strangers is nothing better than mawkish manipulation.

Empty gesture politics at its finest...we should really be walking around with mohammed drawings on our t-shirts.

If the government is correct, and Islam is a religion of peace, we've nothing to worry about. The muslims will take it in good humour and a fun day was had by all.

The fact that no one is going around (myself included) wearing a t-shirt of mohammed, suggests to me we all know, regardless of whether we want to admit it, Islam is most certainly not a religion of peace, and a number of the muslims we pass in our everyday interactions are indeed not peaceful people.

HOLA4412

If we can string enough minutes silence together we can go trappist for an entire day.

Bizarrely I don't remember a national minutes silence after the Birmingham pub bombings in 1974 but some were arranged 40 years after the event. Of course that crime has never been solved and those responsible were never brought to justice. In fact the most remarkable thing about about what happened in Birmingham back in 1974 is the four decade plus vow of omerta taken by the authorities backed by a 75 year public interest immunity order made in 1994 suppressing the release of nearly all the official papers relating to the atrocity. Now that is a long silence.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_pub_bombings

Archived