House Price Crash Forum

Alastair Campbell: Does Anyone Like/respect Him

HOLA441

Sorry, watching him on Question Time and I always forget how much he revolts me - truly reptilian with absolutely no self-awareness.

Is it just me? I'm convinced I'd quite happily physically assault him if I saw him in the street.

Bliar was bad, but he was Bliar's unelected henchman and propangadist and carried out that role with relish and without question

I could go on, but I'll let the HPC Massive put me right

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I've always thought he'd be well cast as a black suited Cardassian in Star Trek TNG.

HOLA449

Something weird seems to go on at the Daily Mirror that they all turn out a bit like him. I always feel he has a lot of similarities with Piers Morgan.

He does provide the sort of loyalty bosses dream of, before New Labour, he was always unflinchingly loyal towards Robert Maxwell. It's probably textbook recovered alcholic behaviour though. I do know a good Alastair Campbell story but I think it's probably too libellous to share, unless I can find reference to it elsewhere on the internet.

HOLA4410

He's clearly responsible for much of the blandness and dishonesty of politics in the UK today, but I quite like to listen to him. He usually seems to be franker about analysing stuff than the usual political rent a crowd, although you still have to filter it all for party political bias. He also speaks excellent French

HOLA4411

Something weird seems to go on at the Daily Mirror that they all turn out a bit like him. I always feel he has a lot of similarities with Piers Morgan.

He does provide the sort of loyalty bosses dream of, before New Labour, he was always unflinchingly loyal towards Robert Maxwell. It's probably textbook recovered alcholic behaviour though. I do know a good Alastair Campbell story but I think it's probably too libellous to share, unless I can find reference to it elsewhere on the internet.

If you tell me I'll try to google it for you.

HOLA4412

Tell us a fictional story about malcolm tucker instead.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

This is also good, coming as it did just after the last General Election

It takes nearly 2 minutes to get going, but it's worth it.

Adam Boulton (Sky News) v Alastair Campbell (Labour) - FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

HOLA4415

yes, both sanctiomonious holier-that-thou types that know they are right and everybody else is just plain ignorant and thick.

we just don't take very kindly to that type of people in this country,from a historic perspective.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

All propagandists seem to be nasty pieces of work.

guess it goes with having to lie convincingly day in day out. Whether in the media or politics.

Lord knows what these people would do in the real world. Estate agents lawyers or sell side bankers probably.

They were all out in force after the result. Campbell, Shapps, Francis Maude et al. All similar types.

HOLA4421

Campell is basically Walsingham. You probably don't like him, but respect? Yes, quite possibly.

I can totally see that. Respect from fear not reverance.

Smiling as he feeds you feet first into a shredder telling you it's for the greater good and you'll thank him for it.

I could never understand why the press would back off from him when he went into Malcolm Tucker mode (unless he had a dirt file on each and everyone of them). He ultimately had only the power the press gave to him, if he'd been confronted by everyone he would have been totally redundant

HOLA4422

Rhetorical question surely?

The only people who admired him were the Labour luvvies who saw him as some kind of genius for making the press toe Tony Blair's line.

Well I think it's rhetorical but I asked others' opinion as I thought there was 'something' I wasn't getting about him

He's regularly wheeled out to comment and I just don't understand how he has either any relevance or authority (moral or otherwise). Yesterday for example, when asked for his assessment of the election result it was along the lines of the electorate didn't understand how wonderful the labour offering was and a thinly veiled "The people have spoken - the bastards!" almost a disdain that the proles challenged his world view

He even has a times no1 bestseller with "Winners" http://www.amazon.co.uk/Winners-They-Succeed-Alastair-Campbell/dp/0091958857/ref=la_B001H6RT0A_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431175111&sr=1-1

The only thing that crosses my mind when he's spouting off on tv/radio is he really should be doing it from a dock in the Hague

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I'd rather listen to him. than to your average poli.

After yesterday’s very long blog, today a very short one, admitting that I was wrong. Not wrong in thinking Labour SHOULD win, but clearly wrong in thinking we would.

Sometimes, when advising people I work with, I will say beware the dangers of being so deep inside your own team’s bubble that you end up believing your own propaganda and lose sight of what is really happening.

That does appear, looking back at what I have been saying in recent days and weeks, to have happened this time to me, and many others. But it really did seem, looking not just at the polls but also Labour’s own data and my own instinct going around the UK, that the Tories would not get a majority, and that Ed Miliband could end up as PM as a result.

There is no point pretending that this is anything other than a disastrous result, yes especially in Scotland, but in England too....

http://www.alastaircampbell.org/blog/2015/05/08/we-got-it-wrong-now-we-must-have-the-soul-searching-and-honest-debate-we-have-perhaps-avoided-too-long/

HOLA4425

Archived