House Price Crash Forum

Are The Shires Crashing ?

HOLA441

Sorry for pedantry but Exeter is 2-2.5 hrs if you go on the sardines-in-a-tin-no-luggage-space-hugely-expensive Great Western service from Paddington - so far West you're virtually there already, or 3-3.5 hr if you take the lovely, pootly, relaxing and cheap SW Trains services from easy-to-get-to Waterloo. Cheap, that is, with Network Rail Card, last stop in card zone Exeter. Not bad really, I really ought to visit my mum more often...

Oh no hang on hang on, that SW trains time is for me because parents live in the middle of nowhere so I get off a bit before Exeter. OK but still, 4 hrs tops.

OK yeah 4 hrs you were right.

Edit: just did Exeter most reduced search again, plenty of familiar faces and several more reductions in the past week, those percentages are creeping up and the number of pages covering reductions is slowly increasing, all quite heartening.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/devon/exeter/?include_retirement_homes=true&identifier=devon%2Fexeter&q=Exeter%2C%20Devon&new_homes=include&include_shared_ownership=true&results_sort=most_reduced&radius=0&pn=1

Edited by North London Rent Girl

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Sorry for pedantry but Exeter is 2-2.5 hrs if you go on the sardines-in-a-tin-no-luggage-space-hugely-expensive Great Western service from Paddington - so far West you're virtually there already, or 3-3.5 hr if you take the lovely, pootly, relaxing and cheap SW Trains services from easy-to-get-to Waterloo. Cheap, that is, with Network Rail Card, last stop in card zone Exeter. Not bad really, I really ought to visit my mum more often...

Oh no hang on hang on, that SW trains time is for me because parents live in the middle of nowhere so I get off a bit before Exeter. OK but still, 4 hrs tops.

Edit: just did Exeter most reduced search again, plenty of familiar faces and several more reductions in the past week, those percentages are creeping up and the number of pages covering reductions is slowly increasing, all quite heartening.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/devon/exeter/?include_retirement_homes=true&identifier=devon%2Fexeter&q=Exeter%2C%20Devon&new_homes=include&include_shared_ownership=true&results_sort=most_reduced&radius=0&pn=1

4h is OK once a month.

4h is an expensive bind on a weekly basis.

HOLA444
HOLA445

4H + 'bus service from Yeovil..'

HOLA446
HOLA447

I can get to central London from sth of France in less time.

Have done that weekly commute for a few years.

Was always good getting home to the sun and poolside on the Friday ?

Don't think I would have done it from Exeter.

HOLA448

Our trains are over priced uncomfortable rubbish......hop on a plane in the south west, touch down in the south of Spain in just over two hours for less than half the train price, and you are even guaranteed a seat. ;)

HOLA449
HOLA4410

4h is OK once a month.

I agree, don't tell my mother.

Yes, from 'Yeovil' Junction, which I think is somewhere near Basingstoke :blink:.

Our trains are over priced uncomfortable rubbish......hop on a plane in the south west, touch down in the south of Spain in just over two hours for less than half the train price, and you are even guaranteed a seat. ;)

Now now, come on, It's the excellence of our transport infrastructure that makes it so easy to move between towns and ensures that we don't end up with insanely overheated megacities, admit it...

HOLA4411

I agree, don't tell my mother.

Yes, from 'Yeovil' Junction, which I think is somewhere near Basingstoke :blink:.

Now now, come on, It's the excellence of our transport infrastructure that makes it so easy to move between towns and ensures that we don't end up with insanely overheated megacities, admit it...

I stepped outside if Bstoke station once. Did not find much.

Bstoke + Yeovil are worlds apart. Bstoke is the gasp of the Thames valley. Good rail interchange too. Middle of nowhere.

Yeovil is genuinely hillbilly.

HOLA4412

Actually I agree, having lived five minutes walk from a train station once, there is a lot to be said about living where people would not normally need or want to pass or park by....everyone on top of each other...all rail and road leading to Rome.;)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Not sure where to post this but as good a place as any. I've noticed something recently and am wondering if anybody else is seeing the same. I live in Bath. Prices in Bath are always insane on a countrywide scale, but the surrounding areas are normally much cheaper than the city, which I assume is the case for any city.

Over the past year, prices in the surrounding area have been going ballistic. Over the past month or so though, I'm beginning to see property for sale in city that actually seems like decent value, relative to those in the surrounding area.

Bath prices are always linked to London prices. As a pretty place and a 1.5hr commute, Bath is popular with London ex-pats. It seems to me based on that, that the London ripple had pushed up prices in Bath which in turn rippled out to the surrounding areas, but has now subsided leaving just the ripple out from the city left, leaving those outer regions overpriced in comparison to the city.

Which suggests to me that either the city prices need to increase, or the nearby prices need to fall, either by quite a long way, for the city to maintain its margin over the further reaches.

I mentioned this to a Bristolian today, who won't have been watching price movements as closely as I, and he said he has noticed the same effect.

Is anybody else seeing something similar in their area?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Not sure where to post this but as good a place as any. I've noticed something recently and am wondering if anybody else is seeing the same. I live in Bath. Prices in Bath are always insane on a countrywide scale, but the surrounding areas are normally much cheaper than the city, which I assume is the case for any city.

Over the past year, prices in the surrounding area have been going ballistic. Over the past month or so though, I'm beginning to see property for sale in city that actually seems like decent value, relative to those in the surrounding area.

Bath prices are always linked to London prices. As a pretty place and a 1.5hr commute, Bath is popular with London ex-pats. It seems to me based on that, that the London ripple had pushed up prices in Bath which in turn rippled out to the surrounding areas, but has now subsided leaving just the ripple out from the city left, leaving those outer regions overpriced in comparison to the city.

Which suggests to me that either the city prices need to increase, or the nearby prices need to fall, either by quite a long way, for the city to maintain its margin over the further reaches.

I mentioned this to a Bristolian today, who won't have been watching price movements as closely as I, and he said he has noticed the same effect.

Is anybody else seeing something similar in their area?

Not quite seen anything reasonable in the Reading area yet but have seen reductions. Some very odd gpings on occuring o rightmove though:

Posted in the regional forum today:

Seeing what looks like portfolio dumping in Reading's better areas.

Today's right move search: Winnersh 3 mile radius, 3 bed houses up to 300k sees 34 properties available.

A staggering 18 of these are listed by "homewise" who offer reduced prices for the over 60s on a "lifetime lease plan". Another poster mentioned these appearing more and more in the area a few weeks back. Now it looks to be exploding...

That's over 50% of decent 3 bed family sized homes in this afluent area being peddled to the over 60s at a reduced rate.

Hold onto your hats this one's going down.

HOLA4419

Not quite seen anything reasonable in the Reading area yet but have seen reductions. Some very odd gpings on occuring o rightmove though:

Today's right move search: Winnersh 3 mile radius, 3 bed houses up to 300k sees 34 properties available.

A staggering 18 of these are listed by "homewise" who offer reduced prices for the over 60s on a "lifetime lease plan". Another poster mentioned these appearing more and more in the area a few weeks back. Now it looks to be exploding...

That's over 50% of decent 3 bed family sized homes in this afluent area being peddled to the over 60s at a reduced rate.

Because the over 60s need 3 need houses

HOLA4420

Thats interesting streamingfreedom, cant say I have not noticed that effect but purely anecdotal but the last 3 home buying couples I know have come up against the mysterious London buyer and I believe Estate Agents are using the 'London buyer' to induce fear and panic into locals in Bristol to bump up their offers significantly. They even use it in there marketing literature, saying 'get in there before the Londoners snap up the bargains' that kind of b**s***. It can happen as there is so little value in the market. Once the London market drops (or the media tell us about what is really going on) then prices in the city may become a bit less detached from reality but at the moment it still feels like owners and EA's are just plucking prices out of the air in some areas of the city and some mugs are paying inflated prices to live in some pretty rough spots. Not a good time to be buying in Bristol. Houses in Somerset looking ok value in comparison and decent places with land seem slightly slower to move but then you are faced with really horrendous commutes if you work in a city like Bristol or Bath where the traffic is generally a nightmare.

HOLA4421

It's all very odd. This Homewise company seems to be basically a financial company which are in effect doing a form of shared ownership, but on any property.

What I don't understand is why there are so many ads on rightmove appearing suddenly. I thought perhaps these are lifetime leases that have just transferred to Homewise ownership following the owner passing away, but the houses for sale are done up as young family homes.

Perhaps what's actually happening is the seller's are struggling to sell and are trying to sell through homewise, and/or using this system to ask an even more extortionate price.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

As I posted in the Reading forum earlier, the over 60s have either bought their houses much before the boom years possibly for a fraction of the Homewise discounted price or are comfortable in LA properties. Who is the target customer for this scheme?

HOLA4424

Drifting off topic a bit, but relevant to the posts above.

The Advertising Standards Authority have had something to say about some Homewise adverts

https://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2015/10/Homewise-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_301640.aspx#.Vx4Momfmp9A

Conclusion regarding the adverts complained about: "The ads must not appear again in their current form. We told Homewise Ltd to ensure that in future the guide prices quoted in their ads were not misleading, and to ensure that qualifying text clarified rather than contradicted headline claims."

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4425