House Price Crash Forum

Are The Shires Crashing ?

HOLA441
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

The price rises in Milton Keynes have been bonkers for the past several years. I was looking at 2 bed semis 3 or 4 years ago. Back then asking prices were between 140k and 170k - and I think selling prices were somewhat less. Now you're looking at 240k to 300k. It's madness. I've been waiting more than 10 years to see prices fall but if prices don't start falling by this time next year I may have little option but to join the madness as I turned 40 last year and I'm not getting any younger.

Ooooh your logic astounding. Go for it, we want a laugh.

HOLA443
HOLA444

It's exactly the same in the inv mkts

As prices soar everyone rushes in.

When they bottom noone will buy/touch with a barge pole.

And as they are just about to collapse ?

There is definitely some sort of mad, got to buy now as prices are so insanely unaffordable, madness gripping hold right now. Hence my thread on the subject last week....and hence my thread this week about buying foreign currency.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA445

As an update to post 1246 above.

Whilst my place was under offer, i looked at 4 houses. All of them paled in comparison to the repo i was really after, but missed out on.

Anyhoo....

1 is still on the market, the other 3 went to sstc, all 3 are now back on the market again.

HOLA446

Friend of a friends ''owns'' this

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53316433.html?premiumA=true

Just offered 175 for it , similar ones nearby had for 160 ( that itself up from 125 in 2014 ) local couple parents want them out prob giving them the cash to buy.I say own as the owner brought with 110% IO mortgage has never paid any of it off ....Not all roses for him though as the 3 bed places he wants are all up 100k over last 2 years so nothing going in his back pocket

Very sad state of affairs

HOLA447
HOLA448

As an update to post 1246 above.

Whilst my place was under offer, i looked at 4 houses. All of them paled in comparison to the repo i was really after, but missed out on.

Anyhoo....

1 is still on the market, the other 3 went to sstc, all 3 are now back on the market again.

Btl is dead.

Outside of London,the average salary + MMR limits the average mortgage to ~120k tops.

Edited by spyguy

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410

In response to thread title: yes!

Drops coming thick and fast in my area (bn13 + 5 miles). Several houses with 10% drop after 3 weeks on market.

Lots of new listings.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

In response to thread title: yes!

Drops coming thick and fast in my area (bn13 + 5 miles). Several houses with 10% drop after 3 weeks on market.

Lots of new listings.

Glad to hear it HD.

The prices are so mental we all might as well wait.

If they go up more, who cares.

If they collapse...fill your boots

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest missness

From my experience in Portsmouth/Chichester areas, and I have been looking for houses every day until my eyes go crossed, the ones that are reducing are just because the original price is ridiculous compared to recent sales of similar priced properties in the same street. I see it time and time again down here, the estate agents added 30k (230K) to what should be a 200k value house, and have just reduced it by 6k - and I think it still won't sell. The one above that has dropped 100k, that only brings it into line with the recently sold prices of the other houses, so I wouldn't call it a sign of a crash, just a sign that the market has topped. I think there is still too much demand for houses at a non stupid price for them to crash.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest missness

Nobody is denying there is demand; but buying into a falling market when you have to borrow 8 times your salary? No thanks.

This is my point, anything "realistically" priced, sells like hot cakes - I wanted to see a semi at 209, which was the going rate tbh, and it had gone before I even got a chance to view that afternoon (house went on sale in the morning). Anything overpriced is just sticking - no one is prepared to pay the silly prices any more

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Selling and going 'under offer' aren't the same. We're at some sort of peak (or possibly just past it) for reasons widely discussed on this forum. Some people have been waiting over a decade. Watch it all unravel before your eyes.

I wonder if a lot of 'under offer' reasonably priced houses are not actually under offer and just estate agents drumming up interests to sell quickly above listed price. perhaps there simply are no reasonably priced houses at all, it's just another EA tactic.

HOLA4421

From my experience in Portsmouth/Chichester areas, and I have been looking for houses every day until my eyes go crossed, the ones that are reducing are just because the original price is ridiculous

Agreed. But... At least people now realise prices dont keep going up forever and actually need to come down to find a buyer. It just takes a few forced sellers to accept lower prices to set a new benchmark, rinse and repeat.. M

HOLA4422

Can you please post links? I'm making a few bookmarks of ones to watch and refer back to in a few years. Will be great schadenfreude.

£30k drop after 3 weeks - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58451930.html/svr/2701?premiumA=true

£30k drop during 2 months - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52911472.html?premiumA=true

Both still ludicrous prices, but it is a start

HOLA4423

From my experience in Portsmouth/Chichester areas, and I have been looking for houses every day until my eyes go crossed, the ones that are reducing are just because the original price is ridiculous compared to recent sales of similar priced properties in the same street. I see it time and time again down here, the estate agents added 30k (230K) to what should be a 200k value house, and have just reduced it by 6k - and I think it still won't sell. The one above that has dropped 100k, that only brings it into line with the recently sold prices of the other houses, so I wouldn't call it a sign of a crash, just a sign that the market has topped. I think there is still too much demand for houses at a non stupid price for them to crash.

Any links ?

Some actual facts help a newbies credibility no end.

HOLA4424

Im hoping no one is buying any more.....

HOLA4425