House Price Crash Forum

Is Prime London Crashing? - Merged Threads

Damik

HOLA441
HOLA442
23 hours ago, anonlymouse said:

Annecdotal but neither a colleague who is selling in Barnes (SW13), nor a client who is selling in Richmond (SW14) are having any luck with viewings - one per month at the current rate. Both houses on for £1m+Chat in the office is about the evaporation of foreign buyers (Chinese and Russians change their mind about where to buy overnight apparently) and the 'landlord tax changes'. "It's a buyers market out there" and "It's not an investment any more" are the choice quotes.

So today's update - another (boomer) colleague selling in Lancaster Gate (W2) said he's dropped his asking price by 25%. Very mature about it and totally unphased as he's been around the block a few times and isn't getting emotional about it ('still double what I paid for it').

I mentioned we might be looking at a 1989 situation and he said I probably wasn't wrong - 'housing isn't an investment any more and will become somewhere to live again' and he had his hopes up for my generation.

HOLA443
41 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

I wonder what their break even costs would be considering they have spend x amount of stamp duty, solicitors/EA and refurbishment costs?

Be interesting to see the flip costs.

Edited by Sancho Panza

HOLA444
5 hours ago, Talking Monkey said:

utter madness its now at 425, but how can they justify bumping the price up from 308K a mere 6 months after buying it that is a near 40% hike

The greater fool theory states that the price of an object is determined not by its intrinsicvalue, but rather by irrational beliefs and expectations of market participants. A price can be justified by a rational buyer under the belief that another party is willing to pay an even higher price.

Maybe the country has run out of fools ;o)

HOLA445
HOLA446
16 minutes ago, anonlymouse said:

Here's the transaction levels for London via Henry Pryor

DFAkwEgXYAAaw04.jpg

Ouch

The indexes are meaningless now.

....Until people start buying at lower prices

Isnt that BIG fall die to the insane pre-dont miss out BTL rush of 2016 ( fools gold all round ).

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA447
28 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Ouch

The indexes are meaningless now.

....Until people start buying at lower prices

Isnt that BIG fall die to the insane pre-dont miss out BTL rush of 2016 ( fools gold all round ).

Yes, it's year-on-year so data for March is heavily skewed.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
4 hours ago, duffbear said:

Now that's interesting. 

Why are they selling so quickly. Maybe a BTL gone wrong. Or perhaps bought, had some cosmetic surgery and flipped.

It looks like it may have had a minor cosmetic job done on it (balcony aside). If they sell at 450, they will lose money after costs. Perhaps it'll be builders and flippers and do-er uppers running for the exit that will trigger the carnage we are all praying for.

HOLA4412
43 minutes ago, Frizzers said:

Now that's interesting. 

Why are they selling so quickly. Maybe a BTL gone wrong. Or perhaps bought, had some cosmetic surgery and flipped.

It looks like it may have had a minor cosmetic job done on it (balcony aside). If they sell at 450, they will lose money after costs. Perhaps it'll be builders and flippers and do-er uppers running for the exit that will trigger the carnage we are all praying for.

Or a change of circumstances... Illness etc. Who knows? 

HOLA4413
On 7/20/2017 at 3:08 PM, anonlymouse said:

So today's update - another (boomer) colleague selling in Lancaster Gate (W2) said he's dropped his asking price by 25%. Very mature about it and totally unphased as he's been around the block a few times and isn't getting emotional about it ('still double what I paid for it').

I mentioned we might be looking at a 1989 situation and he said I probably wasn't wrong - 'housing isn't an investment any more and will become somewhere to live again' and he had his hopes up for my generation.

After dropping price did he receive any offers?

HOLA4414
On 21/07/2017 at 0:50 PM, duffbear said:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices-in-my-area/marketTrendsTotalPropertiesSoldAndAveragePrice.html?searchLocation=n4&sellersPriceGuide=Start+Search

I'm on the wrong computer to do a price chart using a 12 month MA,but Jan ave price was £696k and March 2017 was £593k.............raw data warning but vol is above 30,so worth noting the price action.

Problem is that for a complete picture you really need to wait three months for the bulk of transactions to have been registered.I suspect these postcodes have turned.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
35 minutes ago, suresh786 said:

Why only the central london falling and still some boroughs rising. Its been long time since central london started falling and still no affect on commuters belt.

Commuter belt have ridiculous prices with dillusional sellers. However a simple search on Zoopla will show over half the homes have been reduced. Also you should notice stock that does not sell after reduction is being removed from the site only for it to return a week later as a "new listing".

Fall throughs are high too 

Edited by mathschoc

HOLA4425
47 minutes ago, mathschoc said:

Commuter belt have ridiculous prices with dillusional sellers. However a simple search on Zoopla will show over half the homes have been reduced. Also you should notice stock that does not sell after reduction is being removed from the site only for it to return a week later as a "new listing".

Fall throughs are high too 

that's good