300,000 London 2012 Tickets Unsold

HOLA441
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Ha ha ha! What a pity we "won" the right to hold the world's school sports day!

Nobody I know has the vaguest interest in it! :huh:

I want to know who the hell buys the tickets, no one I know wants to be anywhere near London this summer, they all watch selected coverage on tv but have zero interest in actually being there?

HOLA444
HOLA445

I thought Beach Volleyball would be popular ... my mate got tickets for that early on.

Perhaps this is evidence that a lot of people couldn't careless about the Olympics and think it's a shocking waste of money.

naa, not a waste of money, anything that includes beach volleyball gets my vote, money well spent no matter how much it costs

HOLA446

It's a shame that there isn't a technology available that would enable people to somehow watch the best events without ever having to go near London. If only this technology was available I might watch about half of the athletics, some of the football and maybe a few boxing bouts if there are any interesting prospects on show.

TV?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

naa, not a waste of money, anything that includes beach volleyball gets my vote, money well spent no matter how much it costs

I don't mind people spending their money to go and watch the Olympics - god knows, the sh1t this country is in we need to cope the best way we can, But when its taxpayer's money funding it then that's everyone's money - including those who hate the effing Olimpic like me.

I've seen the overpriced shite built in Stratford for the Olympics - I want a refund and they can knock the bit built with my money down again :P

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12477803.

HOLA4411

Quite an achievement to take Olympic events that were initially massively oversubscribed by the UK public and then to fail to sell all the tckets for them.

Perhaps the message will finally get through to LOCOG and TicketMaster that pissing about the British punters was only going to be tolerated for so long.

Now of course they have left it so late that people living any distance from London have been left precious little time to make all the travel and accommodation arrangements to attend.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Quite an achievement to take Olympic events that were initially massively oversubscribed by the UK public and then to fail to sell all the tckets for them.

Perhaps the message will finally get through to LOCOG and TicketMaster that pissing about the British punters was only going to be tolerated for so long.

Now of course they have left it so late that people living any distance from London have been left precious little time to make all the travel and accommodation arrangements to attend.

Have a browse: It's just the most expensive tickets that are left mostly. I've just been browsing for some myself.

"Waterpolo maybe? Hmm.. not for £65. Handball? Not for £75, Ohh... Diving may be nice, and a medals session! Good god, not for £450 though!"

I think they've overestimated what people may be willing to pay to see sports they've little interest in normally.

I imagine they'll subtly drop the prices nearer the time...

HOLA4415

I think they've overestimated what people may be willing to pay to see sports they've little interest in normally.

i think they never saw the impending financial shit storm, and priced the events at pre-crash prices, expecting everyone to gourge on credit to pay for it.

its not just the tickets, but travel, food, drink etc. and whats the betting that if you took anything that resembles food or drink, inside the security cordon, it'll be taken off of you under the guise if terrorism etc.

i'm sick of all the olympic shit thats being forced down my throat. you turn the news on and get an update of where the torch is. you go to the shops and get hit by all the advertising (if its not the olympics is the jubilee) half the websites i visit have some sorts of advertising. most of the companies i use have some investment into it and email me "olympic sized deals"

fc uk off.

the bigger the flop this is, the better.

HOLA4416

Looks like the London bubble is starting to deflate before the Olympics have even started...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18209178

Also one million tickets for the footie unsold. Those empty stands are going to look embarrassing on TV :ph34r:

I tried to buy tickets. Their website is an absolute joke! - You pick your tickets from the selected list of available. Once you reach the check out, you then have to request the tickets. It takes anything from 1 - 10 minutes, and then comes back saying "no tickets available". I tried this about 50 times over a period of 3 or 4 days, and gave up. Many other people I know did the same and got nothing.

If they had an easier website which just listed the tickets which were actually available I might have bought something.

The website developers should be shot!

HOLA4417

The radio has had the 300,000 shortfall news on every waking minute - along with comments about the millions of over-subscriptions for tickets last year. Probably it's the same people running the economy.

They were extremely concerned that there might be empty seats at the Corporate Olympics.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4418

If they had an easier website which just listed the tickets which were actually available I might have bought something.

Very slightly OT but Sheffield City Hall's online booking used to have a system whereby you asked for e.g. 4 stalls tickets and you got a random allocation of 4 adjacent seats, invariably nowhere near where you wanted to sit.

Now it just lists the seats that are still available and you pick the exact seats you want and buy them.

They will get more business from me in the future because of this.

HOLA4419

Quite an achievement to take Olympic events that were initially massively oversubscribed by the UK public

Really?

Marketing folks know very well how to ensure something is oversubscribed. You advertise an offer you expect people to find attractive, but release only a very few sales on the terms of that offer. E.g, a long journey (flight, rail, road all do it) at an infeasibly low price. Create the buzz, draw the punters in, sell your regular product to some of them.

Once you have the basic technique, it's easy enough to apply. Release sufficiently few olympic tickets with a lot of hype, and they'll be oversubscribed.

HOLA4420

Ha ha ha! What a pity we "won" the right to hold the world's school sports day!

Nobody I know has the vaguest interest in it! :huh:

And what's wrong with school sports day? Most people I know are either going or disappointed they didn't get tickets.

And that seems to be common, since most of the tickets sold out.

Each to their own, I guess.

HOLA4421

Have a browse: It's just the most expensive tickets that are left mostly. I've just been browsing for some myself.

"Waterpolo maybe? Hmm.. not for £65. Handball? Not for £75, Ohh... Diving may be nice, and a medals session! Good god, not for £450 though!"

Sounds a bargain!

So 2 people medal ceremony £900! It is sports for the people!

Not surprised the football games haven't sold out, they should have used more stadiums. Long journeys for lots of fans to go to a game. £20-£125 for football in the current climate is excessive, football fans will be saving money to watch their own teams. Boom time prices in midst of a recession.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Sounds a bargain!

Not surprised the football games haven't sold out, they should have used more stadiums. Long journeys for lots of fans to go to a game. £20-£125 for football in the current climate is excessive, football fans will be saving money to watch their own teams. Boom time prices in midst of a recession.

International football is boring at teh best of times..Olympic international football double the boredom! Rather watch good standard non-league!

HOLA4424

Sounds a bargain!

It 'only' cost £142 for all four of us to watch our local side, a side we actually care about, win the JPT at Wembley. Decent tickets too. It costs us just over a third of that for us to go to a home match.

Any footy fan wanting to watch an international is going to be spending their money on Euro 2012. I'll not be bothering with Olympic football.

I also agree about spreading the matches around, not only to shorten spectator journey times, but to spread the financial benefits around a bit more. Our local ground has only had two seasons played in it, so still looks immaculate, there is a brand new hotel 2 minutes walk away, and several older ones a short distance away. It's not far from the M1, and less than two hours from London on the midland mainline. We've got Elton John doing a gig here, an U-21 international match, but not a sniff of a few Olympic matches likely to have low attendance figures.

HOLA4425

Any footy fan wanting to watch an international is going to be spending their money on Euro 2012. I'll not be bothering with Olympic football.

I know lots of people who are interested in the Olympics and lots of people who are interested in football. I don't know anyone who is interested in football at the Olympics.

Meanwhile:

Football tickets have sold so slowly that it is almost certain fans will be able to buy them for many matches on the day, while Lord Coe, chairman of the organising committee (Locog), has refused to rule out giving them away.

Ticket challenge

A kick in the teeth for anyone who paid.