House Price Crash Forum

300,000 London 2012 Tickets Unsold

It 'only' cost £142 for all four of us to watch our local side, a side we actually care about, win the JPT at Wembley. Decent tickets too. It costs us just over a third of that for us to go to a home match.

Any footy fan wanting to watch an international is going to be spending their money on Euro 2012. I'll not be bothering with Olympic football.

I also agree about spreading the matches around, not only to shorten spectator journey times, but to spread the financial benefits around a bit more. Our local ground has only had two seasons played in it, so still looks immaculate, there is a brand new hotel 2 minutes walk away, and several older ones a short distance away. It's not far from the M1, and less than two hours from London on the midland mainline. We've got Elton John doing a gig here, an U-21 international match, but not a sniff of a few Olympic matches likely to have low attendance figures.

Can't argue with any of that, and on top of that there's nothing like a smallish crowd in a huge Premiership stadium to flatten any atmosphere too.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It 'only' cost £142 for all four of us to watch our local side, a side we actually care about, win the JPT at Wembley. Decent tickets too. It costs us just over a third of that for us to go to a home match.

Any footy fan wanting to watch an international is going to be spending their money on Euro 2012. I'll not be bothering with Olympic football.

I also agree about spreading the matches around, not only to shorten spectator journey times, but to spread the financial benefits around a bit more. Our local ground has only had two seasons played in it, so still looks immaculate, there is a brand new hotel 2 minutes walk away, and several older ones a short distance away. It's not far from the M1, and less than two hours from London on the midland mainline. We've got Elton John doing a gig here, an U-21 international match, but not a sniff of a few Olympic matches likely to have low attendance figures.

You want to see the matches spread around? I think they may have been listening, as the Olympic football venues are:

London (Wembley)

Cardiff (Millenium)

Newcastle (St. James')

Glasgow (Hampden)

Manchester (Old Trafford)

Coventry

Don't think you could have been more geographically diverse to be honest!

As for Euro 2012, thera has been a really low demand for tickets for England games. This is partially down to low expectation, but mainly fans boycotting due to a combination of extortionate hotel prices and fear of safety.

Whilst the organisers have been necessarily optimistic, I refuse to believe it's a surprise that some of the events haven't sold out. Good excuse for the miserables to get stuck in though.

This is a bit like the current housing market - you get overpriced, low quality properties without problems, but to get a good quality property at a reasonable price is not possible.

I wouldn't say not possible.

I managed both! Was it luck or hard work?

When buying a house I'd like to think it was no accident that I could arrange finances at the height of the credit crunch, as a second time 30 yr old buyer it certainly didn't come easy! Hours of house hunting went into making sure we were at the right place at the right time, it was not luck that we secured the deal we eventually got.

Similarly with the Olympic tickets, I missed out at various stages but my persistence paid off. When I saw the remaining tickets on sale for the event I wanted, I made sure I had the tickets booked within about 3 seconds. I had to borrow someone's phone to do it, and even practised using it beforehand to ensure I would be first in the queue.

Actually my colleague got a ticket for the 4x100 final in the resale, we were talking about it down the pub on Friday and most people didn't even know they were available and seemed annoyed that once again they hadn't got tickets. I couldn't help thinking "well that's why he's going and not you!". It's like people expect someone to come up to them and hand them the best seats in the house without having to lift a finger. I'd argue that you can't be that fussed if you didn't even know the tickets were available, the real fans will be logging into the ticket exchange site every day.

Luck or hard work?

It's easy to see that not everyone is able to get front row tickets to the 100m final, but should everyone expect a nice detached 4 bed family home within easy commute of their place of work? I was always lead to believe that economics isn't a zero sum game, ie it is possible for everyone to be well off, for someone to win there doesn't have to be a loser. But I find it hard to see this is the real world :(

Edited by kazap

You want to see the matches spread around? I think they may have been listening, as the Olympic football venues are:

London (Wembley)

Cardiff (Millenium)

Newcastle (St. James')

Glasgow (Hampden)

Manchester (Old Trafford)

Coventry

Don't think you could have been more geographically diverse to be honest!

The smallest of which seats just under 33K if my Googling is correct.

The JPT final had an attendance of just under 50K at Wembley, and looked a bit sparse in places (on the side that the TV camera wasn't pointed at :rolleyes: ).

Surely it's better to fill smaller grounds to capacity, for a whole host of reasons.