House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
18 minutes ago, warpig said:

Thanks! If it happens it certainly will be... I could just do with gold surging a bit more before I have to liquidate my investments...

Well done for putting yourself in that situation!

It sounds like you have a particular place in mind.

It may be worth (say) 50% less after you buy it and your investments might have been worth (say) 50% more. But if you have that forever home in your sights, is it worth the risk?

Obviously Not Advice - obviously*.

Cautionary tale may follow.

*because you are obviously much more investment savvy than I am!

(But I do know homes)

Edited by Timm

HOLA444
Just now, Timm said:

Well done for putting yourself in that situation!

It sounds like you have a particular place in mind.

It may be worth (say) 50% less after you buy it and your investments might have been worth (say) 50% more.

But if you have that forever home in your sights, is it worth the risk?

Obviously Not Advice - obviously*.

Cautionary tale may follow.

*because you are obviously much more investment savvy than I am!

(But I do know homes)

Well... my landlord wanted to sell the house I rent, so I started looking for somewhere new and I was disheartened by the cost of renting. So I entertained the idea of buying earlier than expected... When I went to look at a house (not awesome, but not bad) I noticed some barn conversations they were finishing next door... so I had a look... it was beautiful... lots of original features, it was an old lace factory. So circumstance led me to it... and I've done pretty well out of my investments and it felt right. If it wasn't this particular house, I'd likely just stay in my investments for another couple of years and I know my mortgage would be a lot smaller... but ****** it. I can't put my life on hold forever! it is a forever home... If it falls through for some reason... it's cool... but I hope it works out. :)

HOLA445

I'll keep this as short as I can.

I have two Jimmy Cauty posters from when he was young - Stonehenge and Glastonbury. I just need his Avebury poster to make the full Triptych. For the first time I have ever seen it, Avebury popped up on eBay and I was willing to pay £1000, but I tried to be too clever, my connection was too slow and it sold for £160 to someone else. I should have bid higher and sooner.

HOLA446
1 minute ago, Timm said:

I'll keep this as short as I can.

I have two Jimmy Cauty posters from when he was young - Stonehenge and Glastonbury. I just need his Avebury poster to make the full Triptych. For the first time I have ever seen it, Avebury popped up on eBay and I was willing to pay £1000, but I tried to be too clever, my connection was too slow and it sold for £160 to someone else. I should have bid higher and sooner.

You should have contacted the buyer and offered him double! Yeah I get your message... life's for living and unless you make shit happen - it doesn't! :)

HOLA447
2 minutes ago, warpig said:

Well... my landlord wanted to sell the house I rent, so I started looking for somewhere new and I was disheartened by the cost of renting. So I entertained the idea of buying earlier than expected... When I went to look at a house (not awesome, but not bad) I noticed some barn conversations they were finishing next door... so I had a look... it was beautiful... lots of original features, it was an old lace factory. So circumstance led me to it... and I've done pretty well out of my investments and it felt right. If it wasn't this particular house, I'd likely just stay in my investments for another couple of years and I know my mortgage would be a lot smaller... but ****** it. I can't put my life on hold forever! it is a forever home... If it falls through for some reason... it's cool... but I hope it works out. :)

I can feel where you are. My experience of investing is limited to a few years of trying to maximise my STR fund, when I quickly leaned not to listen to my gut.

But when it comes to property, 30 years of experience has taught me: Always listen to your gut.

HOLA448
Just now, Timm said:

I can feel where you are. My experience of investing is limited to a few years of trying to maximise my STR fund, when I quickly leaned not to listen to my gut.

But when it comes to property, 30 years of experience has taught me: Always listen to your gut.

It has a car port rather than a garage... and I spoke to the conservation officer and he said all developmental rights on the property have been removed and whilst needing a home for both of my motorbikes, I reluctantly turned it down. I regretted it the next day, but I was too late. I said if it becomes available again - let me know. About a week later, I got a second bite at the apple. As I say, it feels right... I just need to work out how to sweet talk the planning office to get a garage door on it! :)

HOLA449

I think this is the place to put this:

I joined this forum as a "Bearish on property" poster in (I think) early 2007.

I sold to rent in late (?) 2007.

I held out in the hope of 30% falls and only just managed to grab what I think was the last 25% down bargain in 2010 (partly because my wife was screaming at me not to let good get in the way of great or something) Funny thing is, in a few days, she will be the one with the money, not me.

Then I got too bullish on property and had my posting rights removed / moderated @HPC Mod 

Then I got bearish again last year and following some begging, I got let back in.

It's 100% obvious now that the price of housing will fall in real terms.

HOLA4410

If you haven't been banned from here - then you aint nobody! :) 

Shit's getting real... this crazy monetary experiment is going to the dogs for sure. I'm not sure about the future of house prices... I've been on here since 2005 and was only partially right about that. As for gold... it's impossible to imagine it not being at least twice the current price. GBP will collapse by 30% over the next 5 years - kaching! When the dollar is seen for the inflationary mess it really is, gold will fly and with a falling pound, it's the asset to hold over the next couple of years. Do you have any?

HOLA4411
43 minutes ago, warpig said:

It has a car port rather than a garage... and I spoke to the conservation officer and he said all developmental rights on the property have been removed and whilst needing a home for both of my motorbikes, I reluctantly turned it down. I regretted it the next day, but I was too late. I said if it becomes available again - let me know. About a week later, I got a second bite at the apple. As I say, it feels right... I just need to work out how to sweet talk the planning office to get a garage door on it! :)

OK, so this is what I do for a living.

Has the house had both Class A and E removed under Part 1? If so, there is almost zero chance of a garage door.

BUT:

THIS IS NOT ADVICE AND MAY BE TOTAL RUBBISH. GET PROPER REAL WORLD ADVICE.

(Whispers) You might be able to put a really really robust fence in. Not a garage door, but a fence and gate. EDIT: almost where you wanted the garage door to be. Get advice.

Night all.

Edited by Timm

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, warpig said:

(...) barn conversations they were finishing next door... so I had a look... it was beautiful... lots of original features, it was an old lace factory. So circumstance led me to it... and I've done pretty well out of my investments and it felt right.

If it wasn't this particular house, I'd likely just stay in my investments for another couple of years and I know my mortgage would be a lot smaller... but ****** it. I can't put my life on hold forever! it is a forever home... If it falls through for some reason... it's cool... but I hope it works out. :)

Please pardon my bolding, editing and my paragraph seperation!

The damn buggering house thing is almost certain to plummet in value price right now.

But how many people get to grab that thing in their lives at all ever?

Edited by Timm

HOLA4413
5 hours ago, warpig said:

If you haven't been banned from here - then you aint nobody! :) 

Shit's getting real... this crazy monetary experiment is going to the dogs for sure. I'm not sure about the future of house prices... I've been on here since 2005 and was only partially right about that. As for gold... it's impossible to imagine it not being at least twice the current price. GBP will collapse by 30% over the next 5 years - kaching! When the dollar is seen for the inflationary mess it really is, gold will fly and with a falling pound, it's the asset to hold over the next couple of years. Do you have any?

Remember u from back in the day PM sent

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
10 hours ago, Timm said:

OK, so this is what I do for a living.

Has the house had both Class A and E removed under Part 1? If so, there is almost zero chance of a garage door.

BUT:

(Whispers) You might be able to put a really really robust fence in. Not a garage door, but a fence and gate. EDIT: almost where you wanted the garage door to be. Get advice.

Night all.

Not sure but I'll find out - thanks!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
On 29/09/2022 at 08:45, reddog said:

I noticed Atkinson's and BullionByPost have banners on their websites, saying delivery delayed due to high demand.

It’s been like this since the Queen died I think. Royal Mint had a queuing system on their site for a while. Probably a fair few trying to escape Trussenomics though too 

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, Glental said:

It’s been like this since the Queen died I think. Royal Mint had a queuing system on their site for a while. Probably a fair few trying to escape Trussenomics though too 

Interesting.

Here is a thought, do you think there will be a premium on the last year of the Queen and first year of Charles?

Doesn't really bother me either way as I am more interested in the content of the coin.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
On 01/10/2022 at 03:43, reddog said:

Interesting.

Here is a thought, do you think there will be a premium on the last year of the Queen and first year of Charles?

Doesn't really bother me either way as I am more interested in the content of the coin.

Bullion by post, royal mint and Hatton garden were out of stock of 2022 Britannia's for a week or so but I think supply has resumed. 

Dunno about Charles Vs Queen, tbh it's about bullion and CGT for me. I love the Lion Britannia one but not willing to pay more for it.

HOLA4421
12 hours ago, Lagarde's Drift said:

Dunno about Charles Vs Queen, tbh it's about bullion and CGT for me. I love the Lion Britannia one but not willing to pay more for it.

I totally agree, I did notice "The Queen,'s Beast's" seem to have gone up a bit.  

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425