House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Has anyone sold any gold privately? If you go to a bullion dealer, of course it's easy to sell a Britannia, but they only pay 99.95% of the spot price, which of course is significantly under the cost of a Britannia to a new customer. Just curious if anyone's aware of any options out there... EBay I guess is one, but the final valuation fees, might mean it's not worth it.

Any ideas?

HOLA444
HOLA445
3 minutes ago, warpig said:

I found an EBay calculator... I can sell to a bullion dealer for £1,474 (99.95% of £1,481) or via EBay for £1,393. The coin currently retails for about £1,600... What a rip off EBay is...

image.thumb.png.8b312c00a53183389b9bb4c6ba4e2f6a.png

They do have £1 max selling fee offers from time to time but I just wouldn’t trust a private sale this way.

‘Package received but seller sent me an empty box!’

HOLA446
HOLA447
2 minutes ago, Blobsy said:

They do have £1 max selling fee offers from time to time but I just wouldn’t trust a private sale this way.

‘Package received but seller sent me an empty box!’

It's not the listing fees, it's the final valuation fees that are the killer.

HOLA448
40 minutes ago, warpig said:

It's not the listing fees, it's the final valuation fees that are the killer.

Ah yes, of course. I always figured when it came time for me to sell I would just go to HGMetals or Coininvest and take the hit.

I remember a while back there was a UK silver forum where members bought and sold between each other, they might have a gold sub section (if still about).

HOLA449
HOLA4410
1 hour ago, warpig said:

Yeah I'd think there must be a community where established member's reputation is built on trust... Just galls me selling at spot! :)

There is a reddit group but it is pretty much all North American folk. We need something like that for UK.

You could try a local auction house but they usually take around 15% so likely worse than ebay. Unless they do a sliding scale where the percentage is less the higher you go. I'm sure ebay used to do that actually, some time ago.

Don't think I would want to risk selling online to the general public for anything more valuable than a Sovereign anyway.

Edited by Glenn

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
On 02/09/2022 at 16:27, warpig said:

Has anyone sold any gold privately? If you go to a bullion dealer, of course it's easy to sell a Britannia, but they only pay 99.95% of the spot price, which of course is significantly under the cost of a Britannia to a new customer. Just curious if anyone's aware of any options out there... EBay I guess is one, but the final valuation fees, might mean it's not worth it.

Any ideas?

Azogar might have a few ideas although he deals predominantly in physical silver...

HOLA4414
On 02/09/2022 at 18:56, Glenn said:

There is a reddit group but it is pretty much all North American folk. We need something like that for UK.

You could try a local auction house but they usually take around 15% so likely worse than ebay. Unless they do a sliding scale where the percentage is less the higher you go. I'm sure ebay used to do that actually, some time ago.

Don't think I would want to risk selling online to the general public for anything more valuable than a Sovereign anyway.

Yeah I think I'd have to know the person before I was happy to do a private sale... failing that a dealer I guess.

HOLA4415
On 02/09/2022 at 19:31, bodgittandscarper said:

Are you looking to sell some coins now??

Probably all of them... :( Terrible timing considering everything looks like it's about to kick off finally and I expect the price to double from here over the next 18 months or so... but I've done pretty well, I'm getting old and I can't put my life on hold forever... basically a house came up that I couldn't say no to. I'm kinda hoping gold rockets before I need to liquidate towards the end of the year... if it dips down, then I'm locked into my investments for longer and I'll pass on the house. My fate is in the hands of the gods! :)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
7 hours ago, warpig said:

Probably all of them... :( Terrible timing considering everything looks like it's about to kick off finally and I expect the price to double from here over the next 18 months or so... but I've done pretty well, I'm getting old and I can't put my life on hold forever... basically a house came up that I couldn't say no to. I'm kinda hoping gold rockets before I need to liquidate towards the end of the year... if it dips down, then I'm locked into my investments for longer and I'll pass on the house. My fate is in the hands of the gods! :)

Good luck with that.

(edited to say that was a genuine expression of good luck, not meant sarcastically. Its hard to tell with just the written word online isn't it)

Edited by Glenn

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I've had a very interesting response from my mortgage lender tonight, they've advised that if my house deposit came from the sale of gold, they won't accept it and won't provide me with a mortgage. Incidentally I can evidence where the money came from to buy the gold, but they're still not interested. They said that if my deposit came from Crypto currencies, they wouldn't accept that either.

Seems we've been vilified and branded criminals.

HOLA4423
3 hours ago, warpig said:

I've had a very interesting response from my mortgage lender tonight, they've advised that if my house deposit came from the sale of gold, they won't accept it and won't provide me with a mortgage. Incidentally I can evidence where the money came from to buy the gold, but they're still not interested. They said that if my deposit came from Crypto currencies, they wouldn't accept that either.

What about gold as the deposit?

HOLA4424
16 hours ago, warpig said:

I've had the same,  I was told speculative investments were viewed in almost the same light as gambling. Quite where they draw the line between investment and speculation seems a dark art! 

HOLA4425